LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 300 users in the forums

NFL Honors Awards show

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
Gotta love Aaron Rodgers he's the QB we never had.

Don't you think it's time to move on?
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
So how is it that Aaron Rodgers won the MVP? If they meant it in a literal sense, like "who depends on that player the most", then Matt Flynn proved Rodgers shouldn't be the winner. If they meant it in a "best player, period" sense, why did Brees win offensive player of the year?

Doesn't make sense...

because statistically wise Brees had the best year, he broke records, etc. Rodgers was the best player on the best team (record wise) and probably is the best player
Is my guess.

Matt Flynn quarterbacked the greatest game in packer history in his abscense, so I doubt they wouldve pulled a 2011 Colts without Rodgers. And then Brees was voted best offensive player. I just don't get how those 2 things happen, and it's Rodgers with the MVP?

I don't know if Flynn is special, or it's the system, but either way week 17 proved Rodgers wasn't the linchpin to the teams success.

I think Rodgers had a better year than Brees. He played in 15 games and had 45 TDs to 6 INTs, that is just insane. If he played against the lions he would have had more TDs than Brees and would have hit 5000 yards. Brees put up a lot of yards but he only had 1 more TD and way more INTS than Rodgers.

What Flynn did has nothing to do with Rodgers other than prove that he is a very good backup QB and possibly a starter somewhere else.

Did you not pay attention to what I said? I never said Rodgers didn't deserve it. Flynn playing the way he did proved one thing; The Packers offensive system is a powerhouse. Flynn having the game he did against a playoff team trying to get a better seed proves the Packers do not depend on Rodgers for everything.

So, clearly Rodgers isn't the most "valuable" player to his team in that literal sense. Take that point, and factor in the voters saying brees was the best offensive player in football. If Rodgers wasn't the best offensive player in their eyes, and at the same time he wouldn't be missed by his team as much as others due to Flynn, makes the way THEY voted make no sense.

If Drew Brees got hurt, the saints would be WAY more devastated than if GB lost Rodgers. I think everyone would agree with that. Now if they think Brees was the better offensive player, how is Rodgers the MVP? He's not the most valuable to his team, and he wasn't the best offensive player according to voters. You get what I mean? How is he MVP then, when he isn't even 1 of the two MVP factors?
Did you not pay attention to what I said? I never said Rodgers didn't deserve it. Flynn playing the way he did proved one thing; The Packers offensive system is a powerhouse. Flynn having the game he did against a playoff team trying to get a better seed proves the Packers do not depend on Rodgers for everything.

So, clearly Rodgers isn't the most "valuable" player to his team in that literal sense. Take that point, and factor in the voters saying brees was the best offensive player in football. If Rodgers wasn't the best offensive player in their eyes, and at the same time he wouldn't be missed by his team as much as others due to Flynn, makes the way THEY voted make no sense.

If Drew Brees got hurt, the saints would be WAY more devastated than if GB lost Rodgers. I think everyone would agree with that. Now if they think Brees was the better offensive player, how is Rodgers the MVP? He's not the most valuable to his team, and he wasn't the best offensive player according to voters. You get what I mean? How is he MVP then, when he isn't even 1 of the two MVP factors?

OPOTY was probably given as a consolation prize, and doesn't take into value as much so that it gives non QBs a chance to win.
[ Edited by dhp318 on Feb 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

lol for real
Originally posted by ImaMod:

lol for real
You mean Tom Brady is the best QB we never had. Thank you Gio Carmazzi...
Originally posted by Aguirre86:
Von Miller was the better overall player than Aldon Smith. Smith was mostly a situational player where as Miller played every down and if his injury doesn't occur his rookie season probably would have looked even better.

A better player? Hardly. Had a better year, yes. Simply because he played more downs. If Smith was a full time player, his projected stats would have crushed Millers.

ive seen packer fans say he got lucky he wasnt drafted by the niners because it was waste of such a talent

no one couldve suceeded here first couple years

didnt rogers take a 14-2 team and make them 9-7 the first year he played qb? imagine him nt learning from favre and learning a different system every year

LOL...never?! I got two words for ya...Montana and Young!
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

ive seen packer fans say he got lucky he wasnt drafted by the niners because it was waste of such a talent

no one couldve suceeded here first couple years

didnt rogers take a 14-2 team and make them 9-7 the first year he played qb? imagine him nt learning from favre and learning a different system every year

Rodgers took a Favre led 13-3 team and promptly went 6-10.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:

Yes but he looked pretty on fantasy football doing it so therefore we must cry and cry about it.

The great myth continues. The Packers continued to be a Top 5 scoring team in Rodgers first year as a starter. Favre threw for 4100 yards 28 TDs and 15 INTs. Rodgers threw for 4000 yards, 28 TDs and 13 INTs in 2008. Teams aren't static year to year genius. What happened in 2008 was the Packers defense slid from being #6 in PPG to #22 in PPG. The special teams unit was a Top 10 group and was one of the 5 worst units in the NFL. I constantly see people beat that drum but they are highly misguided. How else do you explain a QB putting essentially the same exact stats as the QB the year before?

Again, Rodgers threw for 4,038 yards 28 TDs, and 13 INTs with a 94 QB Rating his first year as a starter when they went 6-10. Those are Pro Bowl numbers.

I guess we should strip Montana of his MVP awards while we're at it?
A better player? Hardly. Had a better year, yes. Simply because he played more downs. If Smith was a full time player, his projected stats would have crushed Millers.

Did you completely not understand what the guy was saying? Von Miller played more downs because he's a more complete player. It should be noted that Miller played most of the 2nd half of the season with a cast on his hand.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

LOL...never?! I got two words for ya...Montana and Young!

Never heard of them.
He had an awful pass protection...He was not the problem in the mentioned season.

Generally, as a Statistics-taught human being, I cant believe that ONE game in the last week of a season against an awful defense is taken as a GENERAL proof that Rodgers is just some player out of a system.
Dont forget that same team was destoyed by Brees one week later...Everyone knows that the Lions' secondary sucks big time. STOP taking them for examples.
Share 49ersWebzone