LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Falcons hire Mike Nolan

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Jay Glazer @JayGlazer

The Falcons have hired Mike Nolan as their new defensive coord. Solid, solid hire
Rollin wit Nolan
  • bors
  • Veteran
really????

guess they dont remember tearing his teams apart
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Hotlanta get ready for the Big Nickel.
Good hire for them.

No matter how you knock Nolan, dude is an excellent DC.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
So how will they switch to 3 - 4??? Do most of their front 7 fit well in a 3 -4?
For Christ sakes I thought they replaced Mike Smith with Mike Nolan
Hm, he is a 34-D guy, isnt he?
They probably noticed the change over in Houston and think the 3-4 is the way to go now. Doesn't mean it'll work as well for them as it did for the Texans, but I think that is the philosophy.
Hm, their DEs seem to be a little bit too light for being a 34-DE (under 270) and their DTs cant be real NTs (just above 300) and too fat for a move outside.

Just my 2 cents.

mike nolan turned around the broncos and dolphins defense. it could work out well.
[ Edited by schmons on Jan 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM ]
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Yeah he's a good DC, good hire at the coordinator position. He couldn't manage a game as a HC to save his life though.. or his players for that matter.
With the re-emergence of Alex Smith, I'm sure the first question of any GM or owner before they would consider Nolan for a HC position: "Are you sure he'd not screw up a number one pick again?" Teams pour tons of money into a number one. There is no way they would touch a guy who messed up that pick. It's sort of like a Navy pilot would never fly again after mistakenly crashing his plane.
Originally posted by communist:
Hm, their DEs seem to be a little bit too light for being a 34-DE (under 270) and their DTs cant be real NTs (just above 300) and too fat for a move outside.

Just my 2 cents.

Nolan could move Corey Peters and Peria Jerry to 3-4 DE (not ideal, but definitely workable), Babineaux and Walker to NT, Lofton and Dent to MLB and Abraham, Sidbury and Biermann to rush OLB. With free agency and the draft, they should be ok.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
John Clayton @ClaytonESPN

There is no guarantee the Falcons will switch to a 3-4. They have 4-3 talent and it might be a tough conversion.
Share 49ersWebzone