There are 154 users in the forums

Jacksonville Hires Mike Mularkey as HC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
AJCFalcons D. Orlando Ledbetter

My working list of #Falcons OC candidates: 1. Dirk Koetter, 2. Mike Martz, 3. Terry Robiskie, 4. Rick Neuheisel and 5. Brian Billick.

What a list!

LOL.

I think Mularkey is a decent hire for Jax. They already have a VERY solid defensive core. Mularkey should help them build that offense. Right now, all they have is MJD, a raw rookie QB, and TE Mercedes Lewis. They have no receivers or complementary backs worthy of any note to pair for Jones-Drew.

Thing is, Jacksonville I believe has several DB's that are FA's. I think they'll look to keep defensive stability, but..

If I'm Jacksonville, my draft board has to have WR's and RB high up there. If the Rams take Justin Blackmon at #2 overall, it would not be a shock to see both Kendall Wright and Michael Floyd go in the top 10 as well. The Browns, Vikings, and Redskins could all use a top-flight WR just as much as Jacksonville.

OTC--what do you think of this article?

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3677_A_CHFF_theory_elevated_to_Man_Law.html

basic argument is that you should never take a WR in the 1st round. I think they make some good points, but at the same time, I'm not sure. I found this by going off the SI website, where this guy had an article very critical of the ATL Julio Jones trade.
I like it, no way they would get a big/solid guy in Jacksonville, so he will be ggood, Gabbert I dont like, maybe they think RG3, much better than Gabbert.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Gabbert isnt an NFL starting QB. No coach will be successful in Jacksonville until they get a new QB.
Gabbert isnt an NFL starting QB. No coach will be successful in Jacksonville until they get a new QB.

they might just draft another this year. with the new rookie cap its not cost prohibitive to draft QB's in back to back years. If I were them, I would.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
they might just draft another this year. with the new rookie cap its not cost prohibitive to draft QB's in back to back years. If I were them, I would.

After Luck and RGIII very slim pickings for QBs. They probably stay with Gabbert and hope Mularkey can fix him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I actually like the hire, and Gabbert is as bad as some of you make him out to be.

Hmmm.....

No O-line

No Receivers

Where have I heard that before.

Gabberts rookie season>>>>>>>>>>>>>a lot of past rookie QB's.
Good hire. Must build a good staff. He has alot of young players who need good teachers as well as coaches.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I actually like the hire, and Gabbert is as bad as some of you make him out to be.

Hmmm.....

No O-line

No Receivers

Where have I heard that before.

Gabberts rookie season>>>>>>>>>>>>>a lot of past rookie QB's.

I agree with this, I know he sucked last year but honestly that team is so s**tty.

Way too late to call him a bust. His team is trash
12 TDs to 11 INTs
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I liked him before the Falcons only scored 2 points...but he's done a good job with Ryan, and was pretty much pushed out of Buffalo after Marv Levy was named GM years ago. Could have been worse

After Luck and RGIII very slim pickings for QBs. They probably stay with Gabbert and hope Mularkey can fix him.

true, i forgot a bunch of high profile guys were staying in school

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Jags fans hate it, they wanted Chudzinski.
good god, are the guys THAT short-sighted? Chudzinski had two good years, one with the Browns (the following season was not very good by any means, like I know) and now one with the Panthers.
Contrary to that, Mularkey had nearly the same record as HC with the Bills like Chud with the Browns as OC and he has a lot of experience as an OC especially in developing a young QB. Furthermore, til this season, the Falcons had the same situation in their offense, i.e. just one reliable WR, a RB and a TE (and a QB). But a very s**tty defense.

Acc to Gabbert: Gabbert himself could be seen as sunk cost due to his limited salary but they gave up a second-rounder to move up and get him last year. That means, I dont see his cut or demotion unless they trade him away even if new regimes mean new QBs usually.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 11, 2012 at 1:33 AM ]
basic argument is that you should never take a WR in the 1st round. I think they make some good points, but at the same time, I'm not sure. I found this by going off the SI website, where this guy had an article very critical of the ATL Julio Jones trade.
I am not OTC but I will say sth anyway. He doesnt seem to count out first-round WRs but he basically says that the more important things are QB, O-Line, Defense and ST.
He is not wrong about it. Let's give a more extreme example (argued today with a student): Look at the RBs...Today's NFL RBs have not to be drafted in the first-round if you wanna have a good starter. You "just" have to have a good o-line (or a very talented RB). Look at Shanahan's Broncos or our RBs (Gore, Hunter), Ray Rice, Matt Forte, Jones-Drew, Turner, McCoy or Arian Foster. A lot of these guys were drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round but just not in the first.
Nearly the same argument can be applied at WR, imo. But not the o-line alone is responsible for a good(-looking) WR then, the QB is very imporant here, too. Look what Brady does with the Pats (no first-round WR/TE, like I know), look at Peyton, or at Rivers last year when VJax was down. And look what a Reggie Wayne could do for his team this year, NOTHING.

The article says that you can afford to go after a WR in the first but you have to be stacked in the afromentioned team parts/positions who should be preferred otherwise.
I actually like the move! Had we not hired Harbaugh, Mularkey was my 2nd choice,
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
My bro is a jags fan, and he's lukewarm about the hiring. It's one of those "we'll have to wait and see" hirings.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Mike Mularkey sometimes drove Falcons fans a little crazy with his play calling, but he won't have the same opportunity in Jacksonville.

Mularkey said at his introductory press conference that he won't call the plays in Atlanta. He will hire an offensive coordinator to call the plays.

Some other highlights from the presser:

1. Mularkey said repeatedly the Jaguars were "very close" to being a consistent winner. "I'm here to make sure" that happens, Mularkey said.

2. Former Jaguars interim head coach Mel Tucker will speak with Mularkey Wednesday night. It sounds like the Jaguars will try to retain Tucker if they can as defensive coordinator.

3. Mularkey spoke with Maurice Jones-Drew and Blaine Gabbert Wednesday morning. MJD was excited with what he heard because Mularkey prefers a balanced offense that is "run-based."

4. It's clear Mularkey sold the team on his ability to transform Gabbert. He said Gabbert needs to be put in situations to succeed. He lauded Gabbert's field command and competitiveness. He thinks having a full offseason will help Gabbert greatly.

5. Asked about his decision to leave the Bills head coaching job, Mularkey said that it was "unbelievable" to get another head coaching opportunity again. He did seem very grateful and appreciative of the chance.

This isn't a move that is going to move the needle in Jacksonville, but we think there's a good chance Mularkey will be a better head coach in his second time around.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/11/mularkey-will-not-call-plays-in-jacksonville/
Share 49ersWebzone