LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Greg Manusky fired!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Screw him and his soft ass defense. Lord Fangio is a real head coach!
His schemes did not work, but the Chargers did use him as a scapegoat also. Obviously he wasn't the entire reason that team is collapsing.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Main thing I didn't like about Manusky's defenses were that they were too conservative, it seems like people weren't allowed to make their own judgements to read the quarterback's eyes very often like guys such as Carlos-Rogers and Goldson are allowed to do now. Also, we never seemed to be able to consistently get pressure on QBs.

At the time people thought we were losing talent, Clements and TKO for example. But that has allowed us to take on underrated guys like Carlos Rogers who also have a chip on their shoulders. TKO leaving allowed bowman to emerge as a top 10 LB in tackles. Having a guy as solid as Bowman has in turn freed up Willis to make more plays(career high in FF and PD despite missing 3 games), as well as solidifying us as a top run defense(although we've always been decent in that area). Manny Lawson never was able to pressure the QB, since brooks and parys were in the olb rotation last year the real big replacement has been Aldon on the most critical downs.

Justin smith has been his usual solid self, career high in FF can partially be credited to the great 1-2 punch he and Aldon have become just like the 1-2 punch willis/bowman have going on. One guy can focus on the sack, the other can focus on punching out or patting down the ball lol.

Anyway, my point is that our defense, while still having some of the same pieces, isn't the same defense Manusky inherited. You're going to improve if you add a 14 sack(and 2 FF) rookie, as well as an emergence of an ILB that is up there with the best of them, and some veterans with chips on their shoulders. With that said, Fangio has done an incredible job allowing and encouraging the guys to force those turnovers. The turnover ratio has been one of the most important factors to turning this team around.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Mr.Vanilla

And Fangio isn't?
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Mr.Vanilla

And Fangio isn't?

no?
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Mr.Vanilla

And Fangio isn't?

no?

I wouldn't say "vanilla", but technically Fangio's system is pretty simple too. We get pressure from the front 7, we aren't like the saints who send crazy blitzes every play. Like I was saying, the big improvement in pressure this year has a lot to do with Aldon on passing downs. It's hard to compare defenses when this year we've added such a dynamic pass rusher. It'd be like looking at baltimore without suggs, cowboys without Ware, ect.
Originally posted by mike:
Mr.Vanilla

And Fangio isn't?

no?

I wouldn't say "vanilla", but technically Fangio's system is pretty simple too. We get pressure from the front 7, we aren't like the saints who send crazy blitzes every play. Like I was saying, the big improvement in pressure this year has a lot to do with Aldon on passing downs. It's hard to compare defenses when this year we've added such a dynamic pass rusher. It'd be like looking at baltimore without suggs, cowboys without Ware, ect.

We need to stand up Aldon and use him like Ware, moving him all around before the ball is snapped. Also, in terms of simplicity, Fangio usually just rushes 4 while 8 drop back into coverage if we're not in our base package.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Mr.Vanilla

And Fangio isn't?

no?

We need to stand up Aldon and use him like Ware, moving him all around before the ball is snapped. Also, in terms of simplicity, Fangio usually just rushes 4 while 8 drop back into coverage if we're not in our base package.
Yeah that'll come with time, the guy only played like 5 years of football ever, he's got some fine tuning to do that I'm sure will come with a full offseason.

That's what I meant by simple, we're getting pressure simply by beating people with 4 guys. Teams that do crazy blitzes also can get beat pretty easily if you scheme the right way against it. But I don't know that I'd call it vanilla, that seems pretty negative, fangio has been more than willing to switch things up if they aren't getting enough pressure.
Mr.Vanilla

And Fangio isn't?

no?

Yeah that'll come with time, the guy only played like 5 years of football ever, he's got some fine tuning to do that I'm sure will come with a full offseason.

That's what I meant by simple, we're getting pressure simply by beating people with 4 guys. Teams that do crazy blitzes also can get beat pretty easily if you scheme the right way against it. But I don't know that I'd call it vanilla, that seems pretty negative, fangio has been more than willing to switch things up if they aren't getting enough pressure.

Yeah he's not vanilla at all. If anything he's strawberry, or chocolate.
Originally posted by andes14:
Your point?

My point?

I said "his schemes were soft."

and you said......

Quote:
He wouldn't be the one scheming as a position coach.

wtf does that even mean and how is it relevant.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Jan 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM ]

• bors
  • Veteran
Mr.Vanilla

And Fangio isn't?

no?

They're starting to move him a little bit. I'm excited for the future
Told you guys Manusky was a huge reason why we lost some games.
Share 49ersWebzone