LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

T.O. is officially ready to play.......Question is should we make a play for him?

Shop 49ers game tickets

T.O. is officially ready to play.......Question is should we make a play for him?

He'll demand the ball more and that just won't jive with Vernon
It's probably hard to have been a 9er fan for the last 15 years and not have some bias for or against TO. Heck make that a football fan.

Putting his personality and history aside what do we have in TO as he is today? He's a 37 year old WR who just had ACL surgery. I didn't see his televised work out but from what I've read it sounds like he still has some work to do before he can be considered a viable possession receiver. I also saw the post workout interview with Jerry Rice, an interesting moment in itself considering their somewhat rocky history. Rice politely (I thought) called him out on looking tentative in his route running, and also mentioned his labored breathing. TO while trying to shrug the observations off didn't disagree. Also I don't care how you want to spin it, they held that work out giving an open invitation to every NFL team to attend, and not one team showed up. Do you really think Rosenhaus didn't do everything he could to get someone, ANYONE, to show? Does that mean he doesn't find a spot on a team? No. Is it a bad sign? How can you not say yes?

Now as to his history, you can say that he's matured hasn't acted up ect since Dallas showed him the door, but he has to have accumulated one of the worst reputations of any player to play the game. Since the 9ers (and some say that split was mutual) every team he has been with, all FOUR of them have made it clear they feel better off without him, either by making no effort to resign him or by simply releasing him. I'd have to think he doesn't have a stellar reputation among GMs at this point. As far as his play goes, there is no question that in his prime he was one of the elite WRs. The last few years his his stats and imo his play have been ok. Not impressive but ok. His last two teams haven't been great, and perhaps this has something to do with his numbers and performance declining. But when looking at his last two teams he's been with it bears mentioning that both would only sign him to a one year contract and neither made any effort to resign him when his one year was up. That leads me believe that a) they weren't very impressed with his play. b) his attitude is still a problem. or c) both.

Last but obviously not least reading some of these posts is our feelings as fans. I've tried to be fair but I obviously have an opinion on seeing TO in a 9er uniform again. Let me start by saying I willing to bet that most of the people wanting to bring TO "home" were probably young fans when he was playing for us, probably young enough that most if not all of your winning memories involve teams TO was on. If that's true I could actually see you associating TO with "the good old days". I'm old I remember the dynasty. To me TO is not this immortal player, or the best I've every seen play for us. In fact if anything he marks the end of our teams greatness. We were the crown jewel of sports known for "winning with class" and suddenly we have this punk who's pioneering the "diva movement" at WR. He's flagrantly questioning and disregarding our coaches. He's throwing his teammates under the bus at almost every chance he gets. All the while telling everyone how he can't wait to leave. I was glad to see him go. The fact that so many feel like we are this guys home, or that he did so much for this franchise is sad to me. It just goes to show how bad the last ten years have been.

Can he still play? Don't know don't care. Do I want him on this team that is finally showing signs of life again. NO WAY!
We need him if Edwards doesn't immidiatly start producing
Originally posted by jdc49:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
hes still a better receiver than half our guys in the team, at least as a 3rd option, who we got, Ted ginn, Williams, Swain???? GTFO

Were you even alive when TO played for the Niners? Do you remember the trail of scorched earth he left in our locker room? He killed a pretty good QB and a competent coach. It's always a fool's errand to think about what might have been, but Mooch and Garcia were a competent pairing. TO killed both of those careers...don't gimme any BS about the management.

Why on earth do you want this POS back? Let alone into a locker room that is going from good to great?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I get the feeling that you just don't remember what it was like having TO in the locker room.

Edit: I originally edited this post to say that I didn't mean it personally. But that is wrong. Anyone that wants TO back is a drooling, mouth-breathing idiot.

he was not always the head case you make it seem that he was

You're a 100% right about that, and I guess that's what gets under my skin about TO. John Taylor made him his personal project and taught him how to be a brilliant, hard working football player. He's a brutal blocker and he has that illegal in all 50 states John Taylor stiff arm, but that doesn't make up for the fact that this guy is a serial team destroyer. Given the lack of love that Taylor gets, and the sort of stand up guy that Taylor was, it really pisses me off that TO is his legacy. Outside of Moss, you can't find a more strident counterpoint to John Taylor.

Clearly, you seem to think of TO as a "piece" that can be dropped into a locker room and maintained, I can't convince you otherwise. Personally, I think that is nuts. That sort of thought process works fine in fantasy football, or on the Xbox, but not in a real locker room stuffed full of real reporters. Several teams have tried and failed to manage TO as a "piece," all have failed. I see no reason why we should think otherwise. At some point, the TO show starts in earnest and unless we can control his enablers in the media, which we cannot, it will happen. We don't want that.

At the end of the day, the difference between this year's team and the 15 years of failure (including Owens' teams) is Harbaugh's messianic leadership. We already have a lunatic in the locker room and he has us winning for a change. Bluntly, you can't have two personalities like that in the same locker room.

Finally, I owe you an apology. I played the man rather than the ball in my previous post. I made a conscious decision to let my emotions get the better of me and I stepped over the line. That was wrong and I'm sorry.
You're a 100% right about that, and I guess that's what gets under my skin about TO. John Taylor made him his personal project and taught him how to be a brilliant, hard working football player. He's a brutal blocker and he has that illegal in all 50 states John Taylor stiff arm, but that doesn't make up for the fact that this guy is a serial team destroyer. Given the lack of love that Taylor gets, and the sort of stand up guy that Taylor was, it really pisses me off that TO is his legacy. Outside of Moss, you can't find a more strident counterpoint to John Taylor.

Clearly, you seem to think of TO as a "piece" that can be dropped into a locker room and maintained, I can't convince you otherwise. Personally, I think that is nuts. That sort of thought process works fine in fantasy football, or on the Xbox, but not in a real locker room stuffed full of real reporters. Several teams have tried and failed to manage TO as a "piece," all have failed. I see no reason why we should think otherwise. At some point, the TO show starts in earnest and unless we can control his enablers in the media, which we cannot, it will happen. We don't want that.

At the end of the day, the difference between this year's team and the 15 years of failure (including Owens' teams) is Harbaugh's messianic leadership. We already have a lunatic in the locker room and he has us winning for a change. Bluntly, you can't have two personalities like that in the same locker room.

Finally, I owe you an apology. I played the man rather than the ball in my previous post. I made a conscious decision to let my emotions get the better of me and I stepped over the line. That was wrong and I'm sorry.

Preach on brotha!
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
hes still a better receiver than half our guys in the team, at least as a 3rd option, who we got, Ted ginn, Williams, Swain???? GTFO

You are living in the past. He is a has been like Randy Moss and since they are both has beens NOW they are more humble. He has a chance as landing a practice squad spot.

um, did any of our recievers have better #s him last year? and heck he didn't even play the full season.....or how about 2 years ago when he was in buffalo?

But non of them are 37 years old with an ACL injury. And also none of them get paid for acting like an a*****e by a reality show.
  • jdc49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:

Preach on brotha!

i could see where you getting at, and your right as well, i appreciate the apologize no heart feelings man, we are just a couple of fans that are trying to see the whole situation in diff point of views, and i see yours and agrees as well, T.O has made it all about him and his own greatness is his biggest failure

Were you even alive when TO played for the Niners? Do you remember the trail of scorched earth he left in our locker room? He killed a pretty good QB and a competent coach. It's always a fool's errand to think about what might have been, but Mooch and Garcia were a competent pairing. TO killed both of those careers...don't gimme any BS about the management.

Why on earth do you want this POS back? Let alone into a locker room that is going from good to great?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I get the feeling that you just don't remember what it was like having TO in the locker room.

Edit: I originally edited this post to say that I didn't mean it personally. But that is wrong. Anyone that wants TO back is a drooling, mouth-breathing idiot.

he was not always the head case you make it seem that he was

whats the link to Taylor? he told us to draft T.O.? i dont really remember them being teammates.
  • dj43
Originally posted by HomestarRunner:
It's probably hard to have been a 9er fan for the last 15 years and not have some bias for or against TO. Heck make that a football fan.

Putting his personality and history aside what do we have in TO as he is today? He's a 37 year old WR who just had ACL surgery. I didn't see his televised work out but from what I've read it sounds like he still has some work to do before he can be considered a viable possession receiver. I also saw the post workout interview with Jerry Rice, an interesting moment in itself considering their somewhat rocky history. Rice politely (I thought) called him out on looking tentative in his route running, and also mentioned his labored breathing. TO while trying to shrug the observations off didn't disagree. Also I don't care how you want to spin it, they held that work out giving an open invitation to every NFL team to attend, and not one team showed up. Do you really think Rosenhaus didn't do everything he could to get someone, ANYONE, to show? Does that mean he doesn't find a spot on a team? No. Is it a bad sign? How can you not say yes?

Now as to his history, you can say that he's matured hasn't acted up ect since Dallas showed him the door, but he has to have accumulated one of the worst reputations of any player to play the game. Since the 9ers (and some say that split was mutual) every team he has been with, all FOUR of them have made it clear they feel better off without him, either by making no effort to resign him or by simply releasing him. I'd have to think he doesn't have a stellar reputation among GMs at this point. As far as his play goes, there is no question that in his prime he was one of the elite WRs. The last few years his his stats and imo his play have been ok. Not impressive but ok. His last two teams haven't been great, and perhaps this has something to do with his numbers and performance declining. But when looking at his last two teams he's been with it bears mentioning that both would only sign him to a one year contract and neither made any effort to resign him when his one year was up. That leads me believe that a) they weren't very impressed with his play. b) his attitude is still a problem. or c) both.

Last but obviously not least reading some of these posts is our feelings as fans. I've tried to be fair but I obviously have an opinion on seeing TO in a 9er uniform again. Let me start by saying I willing to bet that most of the people wanting to bring TO "home" were probably young fans when he was playing for us, probably young enough that most if not all of your winning memories involve teams TO was on. If that's true I could actually see you associating TO with "the good old days". I'm old I remember the dynasty. To me TO is not this immortal player, or the best I've every seen play for us. In fact if anything he marks the end of our teams greatness. We were the crown jewel of sports known for "winning with class" and suddenly we have this punk who's pioneering the "diva movement" at WR. He's flagrantly questioning and disregarding our coaches. He's throwing his teammates under the bus at almost every chance he gets. All the while telling everyone how he can't wait to leave. I was glad to see him go. The fact that so many feel like we are this guys home, or that he did so much for this franchise is sad to me. It just goes to show how bad the last ten years have been.

Can he still play? Don't know don't care. Do I want him on this team that is finally showing signs of life again. NO WAY!

Good post!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
ProFootballTalk ProFootballTalk

Recent 911 call: T.O. was attempting suicide

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/27/recent-911-call-t-o-was-attempting-suicide/

• kray28
  • Veteran
Niners should sign him...let him finish his career with them.
Originally posted by Jcool:
ProFootballTalk ProFootballTalk

Recent 911 call: T.O. was attempting suicide

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/27/recent-911-call-t-o-was-attempting-suicide/
What? Weird no one has milked this story yet...
You know that if any one of us held a work out and no one showed up, there is no way that one of us would not be pretty upset.

Sucks for TO. I've always liked him. I wish him the best.

LETS GO T.O.!!!!!!

TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEEEEEEEEEEE OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Share 49ersWebzone