There are 204 users in the forums

The Cam Newton Freight Train of Outstandingness

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'll preface this by saying I'm in the camp that thinks Cam is the next Akili Smith.

Now... NFL conventional wisdom says it takes 3 games before defenses "figure you out" and start game planning against you. (See: Troy Smith vs. the Rams compared to Troy Smith vs. the Bucks. Or even Troy vs. the Rams the 2nd time). If he is doing this in midseason, then we know he's a player. But remember... even Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus showed "flashes". Hell, Vince Young looked like a God his first year.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Last 6 years I have been hearing, put a QB on a 2-win team and start him Game 1 and now include a lockout offseason and that QB is put in a position to fail where you can't expect him to have any success...cough..cough...

He lit s**t up!

Amen to that. That is why I still want Smith to go. I don't see that component in him that is going to get it done when the chips are down. I am not annointing him anything but I think he will be better than our #1.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Amen to that. That is why I still want Smith to go. I don't see that component in him that is going to get it done when the chips are down. I am not annointing him anything but I think he will be better than our #1.

Smith has one 300+ yd game in his career lol(oddly it was that eagles game he got boo'd out of last year).

Newton is already better than him... But considering he's on the panthers I still think they don't do much this year, and he won't have many more games like that. We do have to remember that he was playing the cards...
espn_nfcwest Mike Sando, ESPN.com
Steve Young "shocked" by Cam Newton, says Newton served notice he's a force. Young also calls Cardinals' defense "atrocious" and "horrible".
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for LAFortyNinerfan.
Originally posted by aman49:
I'll preface this by saying I'm in the camp that thinks Cam is the next Akili Smith.

Now... NFL conventional wisdom says it takes 3 games before defenses "figure you out" and start game planning against you. (See: Troy Smith vs. the Rams compared to Troy Smith vs. the Bucks. Or even Troy vs. the Rams the 2nd time). If he is doing this in midseason, then we know he's a player. But remember... even Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus showed "flashes". Hell, Vince Young looked like a God his first year.

Conventional wisdom also says it takes a QB a couple of years to be any good. Rookie QBs almost never have to be figured out. They're the ones usually trying to figure out the NFL. Troy Smith wasn't a rookie. Vince Young completed 51% of his passes his rookie year for 12tds and 13 ints and less than 150 yards per game. NO ONE thought he looked like a God. He just didn't make many costly mistakes, which allowed Tennessee to win games, which is all you can ask of a rookie QB.

Give Cam his credit. He had a great individual game for a rookie QB. I was in the camp that didn't believe he would do anything as a pro, and it'll take more than one game for me to be on the bandwagon, but that was an incredible showing Sunday.
Canton Newton
Originally posted by valrod33:
Steve Young "shocked" by Cam Newton, says Newton served notice he's a force. Young also calls Cardinals' defense "atrocious" and "horrible".

He also said, "I don't care what you say, 400 yards for a rookie in his first game, he's going to do something somewhere in the future in the NFL."
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Canton Newton

Newton's Law!
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by aman49:

Conventional wisdom also says it takes a QB a couple of years to be any good. Rookie QBs almost never have to be figured out. They're the ones usually trying to figure out the NFL. Troy Smith wasn't a rookie. Vince Young completed 51% of his passes his rookie year for 12tds and 13 ints and less than 150 yards per game. NO ONE thought he looked like a God. He just didn't make many costly mistakes, which allowed Tennessee to win games, which is all you can ask of a rookie QB.

Give Cam his credit. He had a great individual game for a rookie QB. I was in the camp that didn't believe he would do anything as a pro, and it'll take more than one game for me to be on the bandwagon, but that was an incredible showing Sunday.

There's other aspects to look at within those stats and Cam passed a lot of those. He was extremely accurate. He was able to also throw accurately running to his left.

He also said, "I don't care what you say, 400 yards for a rookie in his first game, he's going to do something somewhere in the future in the NFL."

Full quotes are sometimes inconvenient.

Kinda the same thing
Lol anyone catch that crap Bo Jackson said about Newton. It's hilarious because it's nuts and he actually said it before week. He's right for at least one week, but not for much longer.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821e99da/article/bo-says-newton-quicker-than-vick-stronger-than-elway-marino

"When you speak of Cam Newton, I'll put it to you just like this: He has the arm strength and power of Dan Marino and John Elway combined," Jackson said. "He is quicker than Michael Vick, faster than Michael Vick. And he will run over you with the power of a Jerome Bettis, Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell. That's the kind of guy he is."
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Lol anyone catch that crap Bo Jackson said about Newton. It's hilarious because it's nuts and he actually said it before week. He's right for at least one week, but not for much longer.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821e99da/article/bo-says-newton-quicker-than-vick-stronger-than-elway-marino

"When you speak of Cam Newton, I'll put it to you just like this: He has the arm strength and power of Dan Marino and John Elway combined," Jackson said. "He is quicker than Michael Vick, faster than Michael Vick. And he will run over you with the power of a Jerome Bettis, Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell. That's the kind of guy he is."
I like what I saw from newton, let me see how he is against a real defense htough.
i like how people are debating as to whether Newton will be able to repeat and even out do his last performance this coming week. IT WAS AGAINST THE CARDINALS!!! They're playing the Packers this week!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
i like how people are debating as to whether Newton will be able to repeat and even out do his last performance this coming week. IT WAS AGAINST THE CARDINALS!!! They're playing the Packers this week!

If Cam does what he did to Cards to the Packers, Ill fly to Carolina and give Cam Newton a blow job
Share 49ersWebzone