LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Taylor Mays for 2013 7th Round Pick

Shop 49ers game tickets
What bothers me is that they didn't at least try Mays out at OLB before getting rid of him. A guy with those measurables, and his ability to hit could have possibly converted to outside linebacker. And if I recall, he did a pretty good job blitzing the QB on passes. With his quickness, maybe he develops into a good edge pass rusher? This team loves to draft guys out of position, and then convert them to something else, so why not give Mays a shot? I love Harbaugh as our coach, but I'm not impressed with Baalke. He's just an extension of McClueless. Baalke didn't like the guy, cause he wasn't his pick, but they showed no patience with Mays. It's a double standard. Look at how many second chances some of our other non-productive players seem to get?
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Very close to absolutely nothing. He was going to be cut guys, you can't get much for a player that the league knows is going to be cut.

Nobody would have known if they didn't send out a mass email.

he got into the 2nd preseason game with about 4 min left in 4th Q (aside from some sp team duty) the writing was on the wall and most teams can read between the lines
  • fly15
  • Veteran
we will regret it, Mays never got a real chance
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
What bothers me is that they didn't at least try Mays out at OLB before getting rid of him. A guy with those measurables, and his ability to hit could have possibly converted to outside linebacker. And if I recall, he did a pretty good job blitzing the QB on passes. With his quickness, maybe he develops into a good edge pass rusher? This team loves to draft guys out of position, and then convert them to something else, so why not give Mays a shot? I love Harbaugh as our coach, but I'm not impressed with Baalke. He's just an extension of McClueless. Baalke didn't like the guy, cause he wasn't his pick, but they showed no patience with Mays. It's a double standard. Look at how many second chances some of our other non-productive players seem to get?

Quickness? I am pretty sure the problem was his lack of quickness and lateral agility? he has straightline speed but was not explosive...yea lets put a guy like that close to the line of scrimmage and see how well he does...jesus
Originally posted by crabman82:
u guys are such babies, i didnt hear the cry fest when balmer went for a 6th or whatever. would u rather have nothing after mays would get cut next week? or were u delusional enough to think we were gonna get anymore for him?

Balmer wasn't traded after just one year, nor did he have as much potential as Taylor Mays. He saw action in 27 games and did absolutely nothing.

so u needed to see mays look terrible in coverage for another season to be happy for a 7th rounder for him? also, ones a first rounder the other a second rounder, both had potential or they dont go that high
he got into the 2nd preseason game with about 4 min left in 4th Q (aside from some sp team duty) the writing was on the wall and most teams can read between the lines

Everyone already knew about the mass email BEFORE that. If the front office had any strategy, they wouldn't have sent a mass email, which further lowered his value, and they wouldn't have put him in with 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter of a preseason game.

This is a front office screw up.
so u needed to see mays look terrible in coverage for another season to be happy for a 7th rounder for him? also, ones a first rounder the other a second rounder, both had potential or they dont go that high

I understand you hate Taylor Mays. Really, I do. But there's no way he gets traded for a 7th round pick if the front office was more competent.
Booo!!!!

Like Reggie Smith and his 7 tackles, no passes defended while showing great quickness, fluid hips and a nose for the ball in his first two years.
u guys are such babies, i didnt hear the cry fest when balmer went for a 6th or whatever. would u rather have nothing after mays would get cut next week? or were u delusional enough to think we were gonna get anymore for him?

It sounds probable to me. Chad Johnson was traded for a 6th; Santonio Holmes was traded for a 5th. I'm sure they didn't get much for Mays. By the way, Balmer was released by Seattle last week.

Certainly seems to support the argument that 2 of Baalkes first 3 picks (and 2 of the top 49 picks in the draft), in his first year with the "trigger", are looking like complete busts for us. Not the end of the world, but certainly an inauspicious beginning.
well, if we were going to cut him, i guess it's better than nothing....
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:

Thank you. very true!!
I understand you hate Taylor Mays. Really, I do. But there's no way he gets traded for a 7th round pick if the front office was more competent.

if Mays starts by 3 game they get 3rd rounder. otherwise 5th. Mays said on the radio he's in a better place. He will not say anything bad because of his parents he said.
Originally posted by GoGetit:
if Mays starts by 3 game they get 3rd rounder. otherwise 5th. Mays said on the radio he's in a better place. He will not say anything bad because of his parents he said.

It's totally a better place for him, he might actually get to play, we have several players better than him in all the positions he could play. It is not his fault that he is not skilled at football, if he had any potential, Carrol should have developed him. Using a second round pick on him was utterly ridiculous, we could probably have gotten him in the 4th or 5th round and used the second to get better in other areas. I don't think he could ever live up to the undeserved hype he got in college, but I wish him well.
Share 49ersWebzone