LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Taylor Mays for 2013 7th Round Pick

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by iceberg450r:
To trade a 2nd round pick one year later for a 2013 7th rounder is insane, if Mays had re entered the draft this year he would have gone in probly the 4th or 5th round just for his speed and hard hitting on special teams.... WTF is going on in that front office ... plus dropping the ball on bringing in a decent QB option.

balmer was a 1st rounder, spent 2 yrs here and i think we got a 6th for him, everyone seemed to be happy saying at least we got something for him, wake up guys, mays was gonna get cut other teams knew this thats why we didnt get anymore
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Very close to absolutely nothing. He was going to be cut guys, you can't get much for a player that the league knows is going to be cut.

no doubt, when i seen we traded him, my first thought was nice we got a team to bite, i knew it would be a 6th at best probably a 7th, but i also knew he was gonna get cut so i'm fine with the deal
Originally posted by gtowns:
Originally posted by Howlett:
If they got 7th for Mays what did the Bears offer? Nothing?

They must have offered a supplemental draft pick

That doesn't make sense. You must mean compensatory pick but those can't be traded. A supplemental pick is the same as a regular draft pick.
Sounds about right for a guy that every team knew was going to get cut.
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
I think I saw someone catch one of these on Hillbilly Handfishin'.
does anyone know if there is a possibility of the pick upgrading depending on playing time/etc? Not that it would be likely, but I'm just wondering why the pick isn't until 2013.
Drafting him so high was a mistake but I have no problem with the trade.....he has shown nothing and no other team wanted him. Can't ask for much in a trade when there is not demand for the guy. He would have been cut so we something is better than nothing.
Actually, the real deal was that for a 7th Rounder, the Bengals agreed to take Clements, Lawson and Mays off our hands. If you close your eyes and think about it really hard, it's actually a steal for the Niners.
Originally posted by Howlett:
If they got 7th for Mays what did the Bears offer? Nothing?

Lol, maybe a 2014 7th rounder?
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

I guess you're right, so the fact that we sent the e-mail to all 31 teams was such a huge mistake since that let them know we woulda cut him. If not, I bet we coulda gotten a 2012 3rd rounder for him at the very least given that there certainly had to have been some teams that gave him a 1st or 2nd round grade in 2010.

What was with all this talk about getting a 4th rounder for him?! Got my hopes up
Originally posted by crabman82:
u guys are such babies, i didnt hear the cry fest when balmer went for a 6th or whatever. would u rather have nothing after mays would get cut next week? or were u delusional enough to think we were gonna get anymore for him?

Balmer wasn't traded after just one year, nor did he have as much potential as Taylor Mays. He saw action in 27 games and did absolutely nothing.
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Very close to absolutely nothing. He was going to be cut guys, you can't get much for a player that the league knows is going to be cut.

Nobody would have known if they didn't send out a mass email.
Originally posted by andes14:

I guess you're right, so the fact that we sent the e-mail to all 31 teams was such a huge mistake since that let them know we woulda cut him. If not, I bet we coulda gotten a 2012 3rd rounder for him at the very least given that there certainly had to have been some teams that gave him a 1st or 2nd round grade in 2010.

I'm sure the fact that Mays was playing with the 3rd string, barely got any playing time in games, and that the Niners had like 7 safeties on the team and he was #7 on the depth chart, were also a signs that he was on the way out also.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Aug 29, 2011 at 6:33 PM ]
Originally posted by andes14:

If teams had given him a first round grade or a 2nd round grade they would of drafted him they didnt, I was a believer in Mays but the more I watched him the worse he became.
Share 49ersWebzone