LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

2011 NFL Draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
Favorite Picks- Aldon Smith, Kap, Hunter, Johnson, Bruce Miller (if he is an OLB)

Picks I didn't like- Culliver, Kilgore. Culliver I am still optimistic about because he will have good coaches to help him, and I disliked Kilgore because of how we had to trade up to get him..
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Herzlich never got drafted WTF? I'd be on the phone.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by igot49reasons:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I really like the first two picks and Kendell Hunter. Outside of that, I can't say I'm excited, mostly because of the position selection. I'm sure it will work itself out.

Well, we did need a few OL, we did need a fast reciever, and we did need secondary help...

I would of liked to see a NT in the 3rd or another rushing OLB. Culliver may be good, but it's hard to see him having an impact next year.

A guard selection is ok, but two is annoying. Are we going to let Wragge, Snyder and Rachal go? WHo is going to be our Center if Baas doesn't come back? Center is a huge need. Wragge sucks and Baas may not return.

Also, CB doesn't strike me as one of those positions that you find in later rounds. Maybe I'm wrong.

sam shields was an undrafted free agent for the packers. it can happen. Not saying houston, because i dont even know who the heck he is

Tramon Williams was a 7th Rd. and was actually cut by the Texans before making it to GB

come on guys, obviously I'm not saying it can't happen. All Im saying is the draft didn't fit my expectations in the 3rd and later rounds. Clearly, they know better than I do, but I still feel disappointed.

I mean I get what your saying. But to me substance is better then sexy. And these guys all have some substance, and if coached up (Which I believe Baalke and Harbaugh are confident they can do), then they'll be sexy picks to us in the future. These are guys we can work on for the future. Not a 1 season thing.
Originally posted by jimrat201:

Amen. His story along, and the heart he shows, was worth at least a 7th. I'd be a priority UDFA if it were me.
I trust Baalke and his scouts more than I trust all the armchair scouting, but the only pick I really have reservations about is Culliver. First round measurables, 6th round production. But again, these guys know way more than me.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

Amen. His story along, and the heart he shows, was worth at least a 7th. I'd be a priority UDFA if it were me.

Thought he was projected as a 3rd, hopefully we can sign him, great story.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I trust Baalke and his scouts more than I trust all the armchair scouting, but the only pick I really have reservations about is Culliver. First round measurables, 6th round production. But again, these guys know way more than me.

Same here. I really didn't understand that. I don't really feel that we reached that much because many were saying his projection was 3-4 and one place said 6.

My main reason for not liking this pick is because there were other CBs who I would've thought were better. Chedkwa was still there, so was Davon House and even Curtis Brown...Still, I'm sure Baalke knows better than us and well just have to wait and see. Overall, I liked the draft.

I hope so. I was hoping, we'd get Marcus Cannon too. Gotta root for guys who have cancer and fight to keep playing. Shows they got love for the game.
I really like our picks on offense, but I feel like all of our picks on defense were based on size/speed combination and optimism.

Aldon Smith could be good, but he's still the kind of player that gets drafted that high based on measureables, not production.

And all of our DBs seem like total gambles. I'm not saying I'm a draft expert, but it seems like we've followed this philosophy for years of looking more at a players size and speed than what they've accomplished in college. And I don't think it's worked.

I would have much rather taken one of the many more accomplished DBs than 3 total flyers. House, Patrick, March, Wright and many others were available.

I feel like this is going to be another one of those drafts where half the guys aren't on the team in 2-3 years.

I'm really excited about half of our picks, and not very happy with the other half.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

I hope so. I was hoping, we'd get Marcus Cannon too. Gotta root for guys who have cancer and fight to keep playing. Shows they got love for the game.

I liked Gannon too, could have been a nice road grader for us. Devlin, Tolzien, Maehl are undrafted FA I would like to sign.

aldon smith got drafted on potential? he broke justin smiths sack record, and we picked him 7th. justin went 6th.....
aldon smith got drafted on potential? he broke justin smiths sack record, and we picked him 7th. justin went 6th.....

What is this sack record people keeping talking about? lol
aldon smith got drafted on potential? he broke justin smiths sack record, and we picked him 7th. justin went 4th.....

Fixed.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

What is this sack record people keeping talking about? lol

sack record at Missouri for a single season.
Anyone know if Jeff Maehl got drafted?

Or any other Oregon players? I know Casey Matthews went to the Eagles
Share 49ersWebzone