LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 332 users in the forums

What Western City would be a good fit for an NFL team?

Shop 49ers game tickets

What Western City would be a good fit for an NFL team?

No LA on the list?

I live in Portland, and they have pretty rapid fans. I mean, people were waiting out in the rain for MLS Soccer tickets. The line was half way around the stadium for MLS SOCCER!

Anyways, hopefully, I don't live in Portland long enough to see them get an NFL team. It's miserable here. But, the people are great, fan-wise.
Scott
The Sacramento football Kings
Originally posted by feeblefreestyler:
No LA on the list?

I live in Portland, and they have pretty rapid fans. I mean, people were waiting out in the rain for MLS Soccer tickets. The line was half way around the stadium for MLS SOCCER!

Anyways, hopefully, I don't live in Portland long enough to see them get an NFL team. It's miserable here. But, the people are great, fan-wise.
Scott

If you read the first post under the choices it assumes that LA gets a team and asks the question what would be a 2nd city in the western united states for a team to make two 4-team divisions out west.

Example:
Sea/SF/LA/ARi

Portland/OAK/SD/DEN
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Albuquerque, of course!

And just say No to El Paso

ABQ ain't no sunflower either dude. In fact, I think I would much rather live in El Paso.

ABQ >>>>>> Hell >>>>>> El Paso

I'm glad you agree.

Fixed it for yeah
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Portland

Portland Whales, Portland Grizzlies, Portland Lumberjacks, Portland Sharks.....

the Portland Free Range Yuppies

Portland or Vancouver would make sense Geographically. Then there could be 2 teams in the Northwest, 2 teams in the bay area, two teams in So-cal (if SD stays in so-cal and LA gets a team) and Arizona and Denver.

Yeah, As long as it's not the Raiders....
SF. what if when the niners leave SF finds a guy with deep pockets to build a stadium and move a team to SF? Al Davis is talkin about LA again so i think it could happen.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
SF. what if when the niners leave SF finds a guy with deep pockets to build a stadium and move a team to SF? Al Davis is talkin about LA again so i think it could happen.

Area 49?
Our women are hotter too.

Dude no lie. El Paso does have some fine ass looking women.
Originally posted by TX9R:
I would say none. The west coast is not as sport obsessed as the rest of the country, and economically none on that list could support a team except Vegas, which has the same problem as LA: no one is actually from there and generally already have a team they root for.
If anything the south is the place to go, just look at census trends, that's where all the people are going. But all the major cities in the south already have a team except one: San Antonio. For some reason the Spurs are considered small market but SA is the 7th biggest city in the US and it will only continue to grow. Football is king in Texas, to me it's a no brainer.

AGREED. I just moved from San Antonio, and I have lived in/ travelled to most every city on that list. And NO CITY in the United States is hungrier for an NFL Team than the Alamo City.

1. They have been trying since the 80's to lure a team, eventually giving in and taking a USFL that was dysfunctional from its inception

2. They built a stadium just on the HOPES of someday luring a relocator or expansion franchise

3. YES, the Cowboys hold training camp there(half of it) and most locals support the Cowboys, but ONLY because they dont have a team of their own, and Jerry Jones fights tooth and nail to keep that market, however in the example of the Spurs, who are championed everywhere in that city, (more than i think I have ever seen for any pro team anywhere) San Antonians HATE the Mavericks

4. San Antonio has a bit of a little brother complex with being in the same state as Houston and Dallas. And at every turn, politicallly, socially, ethnically tries to stand above those cities

5. S.A. , if you didnt know is THE MOST visited/vacationed to city in Texas

6. There is Rabid support, as mentioned of all levels of football with the Aggies, Tech, Baylor etc well represented. without even mentioning The Longhorns who are treated like royalty

7. Yes San Antonio is listed as the seventh largest city at just over 2 million people but technically the metro area is something in the 30's (edit: as far as largest metro areas in the US) I believe...BUT Austin(1.5 million more fans,considered as a separate metro area)is as close to san antonio as several areas that are considered the same metro area...a great example is the SF/OAK/SJ Bay area (home sweet home)...santa rosa is considered bay area as well as san jose, but they are waaaaaaayyyy father apart than san antonio and austin. i lived in the city limits of SA(granted the extreme NE of town) and could be in Austin in 45 minutes flat. SO that makes the fan base about 5 million(total metro area between san antonio and austin it is endless concrete jungle)...not including all of south Texas. The SA/Austin area is BY FAR the largest metro outside of LA without an NFL Team.....combine the metros and see for yourself, look it up.

8. I have no link to this but Goodell visited SA in 2010, maybe late 2009 and essentially said there are no current expansion plans, but if the NFL were to expand LA would be 1A and San Antonio would be 1B.

9. 2 yes TWO former/current pro team owners are based in San Antonio, Tom Benson and his Saints, When Katrina displaced them where did they play?? and the games were sold out immediately. Also Red Mccombs (whom I have a business relationship with, and has stated his desire to me) former owner of the Spurs, the Vikes and The Nugggets, I believe......Is just one name off the top of my head who has the money, clout and desire to field a team.

there are Several other Factors. Strong military presence keeps the economy stable and unemployment low...especially after BRAC. Some Corporate GIANTS have bases/ or contribute largely to the economy and provide sponsorship....HELLO AT&T.

To sum it up I would wager my life savings that either an expansion team or a team that relocates would sell out of season tickets IMMEDIATELY AND EVEN WHEN THE TEAM IS DOWN THE CITY WOULD STILL SUPPORT ITS LONG TIME COMING FRANCHISE.
[ Edited by Shifter on Apr 21, 2011 at 8:55 AM ]
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Vancouver is large enough to support a team but I think the Seahawks already control that market.

ummmm there used to bee a team called the Supersonics and a Vancouver NBA team....ask them how that worked out....

IMO, Sac would definitely be financially strong to support an NFL team if the Kings left. I'm not sure if Vancouver has enough of a fan base to support an NFL team, especially with their NHL and CFL teams competing for revenue. Portland may. How about San Jose?
Share 49ersWebzone