THEY HATE TO LOVE ME!!!
My favorite sports athlete ever
he's the man
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
BALCO Terrell was good t.v.

Originally posted by aman49:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
BALCO Terrell was good t.v.

I've been saying that for years! He left when the water started getting hot and there is no way he did some of the things he did(a few reverses come to mind from 01-03) in his first few seasons. Bouncing off linebackers and out running everyone. WTF?
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Hard for me to believe there's so much love for TO when he followed the ultimate NFL player, a receiver everyone on the team knew they could count on every single play. Football is the ultimate team sport. If you're not a good team player, you're not a good football player. Yes, he had all the physical tools. He had great YAC instincts. He had decent (but not great) hands. But, he was a pain in the ass. He was a QB killer. It was all about him.

And, as far as I'm concerned, the only historically great play he ever made for the Niners was that final catch in the Green Bay playoff game, but in that game he had stunk up the place and almost single-handedly lost the game for the team up to that point. Watch the game again. TO dropped so many passes that it shouldn't have even been close at the end of the game. And, I've never seen a receiver trash his quarterbacks the way that guy did. I thought he was a disgrace, and the fact that he was such a great athlete made it even worse. All he had to do is check his ego and he was simply incapable of doing that.

really? because Young went to the HOF and he made Garcia a pro-bowler. Rattay doesn't count because he sucked regardless

Young completed most of his passes to Jerry Rice, more than Montana did. Young got his record Superbowl performance with Jerry Rice and John Taylor. TO was nowhere around. TO had very little to do with Young going to the HOF. And, please don't mention Garcia. I liked that guy. The worst thing that ever happened to Garcia was that trash talking a-hole who thought he was bigger than the team. I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you guys on TO. Yes, he'll probably make it to the HOF based on his numbers, but I just don't like him as a player because it's all about him. I've been following the team since the 60's and I don't think I've ever seen a more disruptive and self-centered player on the team. Charles Haley, on his worst day, was more team oriented than TO.
One more thing on TO. What was he? A third-round pick? The Niners made that player. They gave him a job studying and learning under the greatest receiver in history. They appreciated his athleticism and understood he came in raw. They eased him into the lineup and gave him time to work on his routes and his hands. Did he show the slightest bit of gratitude to the team that drafted him and taught him how to play in the NFL? No.

Once he hit his professional stride, all he did was complain and create dissension on the team. When I see a fan of the Niners, a team that has included players like Montana, Rice, Young, Lott, Bryant Young, John Brodie, Jimmy Johnson, Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon, John Taylor, Fred Dean and countless other great, great players say TO is his "second favorite" player, I just cannot fathom it. I can't believe it. It just doesn't compute for me. I think it must be an age thing, but I really don't know.
whatever GNielsen, stop trying to spread your hate as if it were fact.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Apr 9, 2011 at 2:08 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
whatever GNielsen, stop trying to spread your hate as if it were fact.

"Hate"??!! You're the one who used that word. Nothing I posted or think even implies "hate." I don't even come close to hating Terrell Owens. I think he's a bad team player. I think the guy could have been one of my favorite Niners ever because of his amazing athletic skills. Athletically, the guy is an incredible freak of nature. I would never dispute that. You need to work on your reading comprehension. Let's get real here. What do you think Jeff Garcia or Donovan McNabb really think about playing on the same team with Terrell Owens. Do you think they had fun listening to his complaints, calling them "gay" or "soft" or "unprepared" after they gave everything they had on the field trying to win? Do you think Jeff Garcia appreciated his best receiver telling the media he had a bad arm and couldn't get the ball to him? Do you think Jerry Rice appreciated his showboating? Do you think Steve Young appreciated his dropping five or six passes thrown to him in a playoff game? But, most of all, do you think these things are opinion or fact? Do you know the difference between opinions and facts. You don't seem to.
They drafted TO the year after they drafted JJ Stokes and they had Stokes starting ahead of him. The first time I saw TO play in a game, I was immediately impressed and thought that they really had a player and that they should be starting him over Stokes even though Stokes was a first round pick. I thought Owens was amazing. It wasn't until he became a "star" that I started getting annoyed by him because of his pouting and showboating and it wasn't until he started trashing Jeff Garcia that I began thinking he was a bad team player. When he went to Philly and trashed McNabb, I couldn't believe it.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Hard for me to believe there's so much love for TO when he followed the ultimate NFL player, a receiver everyone on the team knew they could count on every single play. Football is the ultimate team sport. If you're not a good team player, you're not a good football player. Yes, he had all the physical tools. He had great YAC instincts. He had decent (but not great) hands. But, he was a pain in the ass. He was a QB killer. It was all about him.

And, as far as I'm concerned, the only historically great play he ever made for the Niners was that final catch in the Green Bay playoff game, but in that game he had stunk up the place and almost single-handedly lost the game for the team up to that point. Watch the game again. TO dropped so many passes that it shouldn't have even been close at the end of the game. And, I've never seen a receiver trash his quarterbacks the way that guy did. I thought he was a disgrace, and the fact that he was such a great athlete made it even worse. All he had to do is check his ego and he was simply incapable of doing that.

really? because Young went to the HOF and he made Garcia a pro-bowler. Rattay doesn't count because he sucked regardless

Young completed most of his passes to Jerry Rice, more than Montana did. Young got his record Superbowl performance with Jerry Rice and John Taylor. TO was nowhere around. TO had very little to do with Young going to the HOF. And, please don't mention Garcia. I liked that guy. The worst thing that ever happened to Garcia was that trash talking a-hole who thought he was bigger than the team. I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you guys on TO. Yes, he'll probably make it to the HOF based on his numbers, but I just don't like him as a player because it's all about him. I've been following the team since the 60's and I don't think I've ever seen a more disruptive and self-centered player on the team. Charles Haley, on his worst day, was more team oriented than TO.

Yes, it was a great play. One of my favorite sports shots is of TO getting crunched as he catches it and amazingly holding on to the ball. Again, I'm not disputing that TO is a great athlete. All I've said here is that he's not a good team player. And, watch the rest of that game again please. As you must know, TO redeemed himself with that catch. Up to that point, he had been losing the game for the Niners. He had maybe four sure catches that he should have had. The game wouldn't have been close if TO had caught half the balls he had dropped before. There were at least three times before that that he killed drives by dropping passes. Why do you guys persist in judging this player on the basis of one fantastic play? I'm seen only a few games with an ending as exciting as that one. He gave us a great moment and made a great catch to win the game. But, my problem with TO has nothing to do with that.

I can see this is a very sensitive area for a lot of you, so I'll just leave it alone from now on and let you all pretend that Terrell Owens was a great Niner. For some reason, quite a few of you need to believe that.
Man the Niners blew it letting him go. IMO, he is one of the greatest WR to ever play the game.
Yes, it was a great play. One of my favorite sports shots is of TO getting crunched as he catches it and amazingly holding on to the ball. Again, I'm not disputing that TO is a great athlete. All I've said here is that he's not a good team player. And, watch the rest of that game again please. As you must know, TO redeemed himself with that catch. Up to that point, he had been losing the game for the Niners. He had maybe four sure catches that he should have had. The game wouldn't have been close if TO had caught half the balls he had dropped before. There were at least three times before that that he killed drives by dropping passes. Why do you guys persist in judging this player on the basis of one fantastic play? I'm seen only a few games with an ending as exciting as that one. He gave us a great moment and made a great catch to win the game. But, my problem with TO has nothing to do with that.

I can see this is a very sensitive area for a lot of you, so I'll just leave it alone from now on and let you all pretend that Terrell Owens was a great Niner. For some reason, quite a few of you need to believe that.

What in the world are you talking about? TO had many great plays. You dont remember the last minute catch with Garcia to beat ATL? What about the reverse that he took for a 70 TD? What reciever does that? How about his game against CHI on JRs day? Didn't he break a record on that day(at that time)? And all this was just with the Niners. I haven't even mentioned how he played against NE in the Superbowl with a busted ankle. Not sure what you mean by he wasn't a great Niner? If you dont like him personally, fine. But you are the one that is in denial about his contribution. He wasn't just an athlete, he was a great football player.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Apr 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM ]
The second receiver during the Rice era, John Taylor, was better. He caught the winning pass in the last seconds of a Superbowl and had two YAC's in one game against the Rams of over 80 yards. I don't remember the Niners going to a Superbowl during TO's years.
Okay, before someone pops a vein, I admit I was just pulling your chains on that last one, but as a duo, I'll take Jerry Rice and John Taylor over any two-receiver combo in the history of the Niners. You guys really crack me up.
Share 49ersWebzone