LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 154 users in the forums

How Much Do Referees Make a Game/Season?

Shop 49ers game tickets
when I become a millionaire I'm going to buy every referee that is in charge of the 49ers games. Superbowl wins every year
A lot more than you would think. A lot more than what Valrod even stated. I'll just leave it at that.

[ Edited by JimA49ers on Mar 29, 2011 at 06:10:20 ]
How do you get a job in the nfl as a referee?
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
How do you get a job in the nfl as a referee?

Good'ell fellatio
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by valrod33:
The NFL referee salary (National Football League) ranges from USD 25,000 to USD 70,000 per season i.e. a season with 16 games with one-week intervals. The NFL official’s average annual income of USD 27, 000 is lowest when compared to the NBA officials earn about USD 128,000 per annum, the NHL officials earn USD139, 000 per annum and the major-league baseball officials earn about USD 141, 000 per annum. On the other hand, NFL officials are not full-time employees and work lesser as against the other sports.

By far.

All refs are overpaid. NFL refs work one day a week for less than half a year and make a minimum of 27k? Ridiculous. I'm not saying it's ridiculous because of the minimal time they have to put in, but it's ridiculous because most of them suck so bad they should be working for free.

And if anyone truly believes paying them more would prevent them from accepting a bribe, they're delusional. You can pay them $500,000 per year and if somebody offers them another 100 grand, they're gonna take it if it's in their character to do so.

really? you REALLY think they work 1 day a week during the NFL season? that they are sitting in shorts and a dirty t shirt 6 days a week and wake up sunday and are like "well, looks like I have to go ref today." ?
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
The NFL referee salary (National Football League) ranges from USD 25,000 to USD 70,000 per season i.e. a season with 16 games with one-week intervals. The NFL official’s average annual income of USD 27, 000 is lowest when compared to the NBA officials earn about USD 128,000 per annum, the NHL officials earn USD139, 000 per annum and the major-league baseball officials earn about USD 141, 000 per annum. On the other hand, NFL officials are not full-time employees and work lesser as against the other sports.

By far.

All refs are overpaid. NFL refs work one day a week for less than half a year and make a minimum of 27k? Ridiculous. I'm not saying it's ridiculous because of the minimal time they have to put in, but it's ridiculous because most of them suck so bad they should be working for free.

And if anyone truly believes paying them more would prevent them from accepting a bribe, they're delusional. You can pay them $500,000 per year and if somebody offers them another 100 grand, they're gonna take it if it's in their character to do so.

really? you REALLY think they work 1 day a week during the NFL season? that they are sitting in shorts and a dirty t shirt 6 days a week and wake up sunday and are like "well, looks like I have to go ref today." ?

Well, isn't that what the players do? lol.
And the refs make about 180k a season. Not easy though, you try getting all the calls right based on a rulebook probably 6 inches thick, at live speed, not sitting in a recliner with multiple camera views, listening to announcers stating what they viewed from above. All while running and trying not to get trampled on.
And I remember seeing one of these rulebooks, it covered everything you can imagine. I remember one of the rules was what the call should be if during a field goal, should the ball get deflated and land on the goal post, 50% over the bar, and 50% of the ball behind the bar. What would the call be?
  • dj43
So the starting pay is roughly $1,300/game. They fly in the day before and fly out after the game. Expenses are reimbursed.

Though it is not a lot a of money for someone who influences the outcome of the $9BILLION business, the job must depend on the integrity of the individual. There is no amount of money that can prevent someone throwing a game - someone will always offer enough money to influence the outcome if the guy is crooked in the first place.
Originally posted by dj43:
So the starting pay is roughly $1,300/game. They fly in the day before and fly out after the game. Expenses are reimbursed.

Though it is not a lot a of money for someone who influences the outcome of the $9BILLION business, the job must depend on the integrity of the individual. There is no amount of money that can prevent someone throwing a game - someone will always offer enough money to influence the outcome if the guy is crooked in the first place.

$1,300? Not even close. Read the post above to see the correct $
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

By far.

And the refs make about 180k a season. Not easy though, you try getting all the calls right based on a rulebook probably 6 inches thick, at live speed, not sitting in a recliner with multiple camera views, listening to announcers stating what they viewed from above. All while running and trying not to get trampled on.
And I remember seeing one of these rulebooks, it covered everything you can imagine. I remember one of the rules was what the call should be if during a field goal, should the ball get deflated and land on the goal post, 50% over the bar, and 50% of the ball behind the bar. What would the call be?

Come on...

By far.

Where did you get 180k/year?

By far.

Huh? The players go to practice and do hardcore conditioning and study film all week in preparation (well, most). I think it's safe to assume they bust their asses compared the officials.
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Apr 2, 2011 at 11:23 AM ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

By far.

Huh? The players go to practice and do hardcore conditioning and study film all week in preparation (well, most). I think it's safe to assume they bust their asses compared the officials.

I believe you missed the point. Since none of use know anything about how much a ref makes to how many days a week they work. Saying they work 1 day a week and that's it resembles say your wife or daughter who know nothing of football making the statement: "why do they get paid so much to show up and play a game 1 day a week."

it was sarcasm.
Originally posted by Shorteous:

By far.

I believe you missed the point. Since none of use know anything about how much a ref makes to how many days a week they work. Saying they work 1 day a week and that's it resembles say your wife or daughter who know nothing of football making the statement: "why do they get paid so much to show up and play a game 1 day a week."

it was sarcasm.

You're right I did miss the point. I just was thrown off by the 180K/yr when it was established that it wasn't that much.

Either way, I still stand by the fact that players work harder
Originally posted by Shorteous:

By far.

it was sarcasm.

You're right I did miss the point. I just was thrown off by the 180K/yr when it was established that it wasn't that much.

Either way, I still stand by the fact that players work harder

agreed, and it's not even close.
Share 49ersWebzone