LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

1 Gap vs 2 Gap Scheme ( 3-4 defense)

Shop 49ers game tickets
For those of you that are tired of reading, here is a youtube video of a major college coach explaining the diffrence between a 1 gap and 2 gap scheme in a 3-4 defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1DHEcVtVdA

Based on his explanation, it doesn't sound as if there is much of a diffrence. Please feel free to elaborate if you can add more to the discussion.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 14, 2011 at 22:10:16 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
In a nut shell, I've always thought of it like this:

One gap DL = penetrating D-lineman

Two-gap = gap control run stuffer who frees up LB's
Man, am I a perv.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
For those of you that are tired of reading, here is a youtube video of a major college coach explaining the diffrence between a 1 gap and 2 gap scheme in a 3-4 defense.

Based on his explanation, it doesn't sound as if there is much of a diffrence. Please feel free to elaborate if you can add more to the discussion.

There's actually quite a difference. In the 2 gap or otherwise known as "double bubble", your NT is responsible for both A gaps, and needs to command the attention of the Center and Guard. Meaning you would like a mammoth NT, like a Vince Wilfork or Jamal Williams. The NT is lined up directly on the Center and is in the "0 tech" position.

In a 1 gap 3-4, which is much more common these days, your NT is in the "1 Tech" position, meaning he lines up just slightly off the center in the strong side A gap, as his role is to not really be a clogging type like in the double bubble, but a quick, penetrating Nose that's going to be disruptive and slightly tie up the RG and Center with quickness rather than brute strength to have your linebackers make plays in the backfield easier. This is why Aubrayo Franklin struggled early on with us but once we switched to a 1 Gap he started to excel.

The responsibilities of the DE's, OLB's, and ILB'S all have different jobs as well, and they are NOT the same system. They are 2 entirely different philosophies on how to control the LOS. I suggest you do more reading, as it sounds like you need it.

To read up on 1 Gap 3-4s, I suggest this link 1 Gap 3-4

And for the 2 Gap, I suggest this link
2 Gap "Double Bubble" 3-4

And if you're REALLY interested, I would also recommend reading up on the great Dick Lebeau's hybrid 3-4.
Lebeau 3-4
Originally posted by Kolohe:

This isn't true because in a 2 gap your linebackers are going to be taking on more blocks than they would in a 1 Gap. Think Brandon Spikes, New England, or Bradie James, Dallas. Both bigger ILB's that lack speed but are tremendous at taking on and shedding a block.

You are right with the d-lineman's responsibility however.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Lockout:

This isn't true because in a 2 gap your linebackers are going to be taking on more blocks than they would in a 1 Gap. Think Brandon Spikes, New England, or Bradie James, Dallas. Both bigger ILB's that lack speed but are tremendous at taking on and shedding a block.

Thanks for the correction, however I was actually thinking more of the Mike and Will backers in a two-gap, rather than the Ted. I like to look at New England's base defense when thinking two-gap, Mayo and Banta-Cain get a lot of free time in that defense.

Thanks for the correction, however I was actually thinking more of the Mike and Will backers in a two-gap, rather than the Ted. I like to look at New England's base defense when thinking two-gap, Mayo and Banta-Cain get a lot of free time in that defense.

Oh yeah, my bad, I thought you specified the ILB positions but you just said linebacker in general.

There's actually quite a difference. In the 2 gap or otherwise known as "double bubble", your NT is responsible for both A gaps, and needs to command the attention of the Center and Guard. Meaning you would like a mammoth NT, like a Vince Wilfork or Jamal Williams. The NT is lined up directly on the Center and is in the "0 tech" position.

In a 1 gap 3-4, which is much more common these days, your NT is in the "1 Tech" position, meaning he lines up just slightly off the center in the strong side A gap, as his role is to not really be a clogging type like in the double bubble, but a quick, penetrating Nose that's going to be disruptive and slightly tie up the RG and Center with quickness rather than brute strength to have your linebackers make plays in the backfield easier. This is why Aubrayo Franklin struggled early on with us but once we switched to a 1 Gap he started to excel.

The responsibilities of the DE's, OLB's, and ILB'S all have different jobs as well, and they are NOT the same system. They are 2 entirely different philosophies on how to control the LOS. I suggest you do more reading, as it sounds like you need it.

And if you're REALLY interested, I would also recommend reading up on the great Dick Lebeau's hybrid 3-4.
Lebeau 3-4

Thanks for the info, as I am trying to increase my technical football knowledge. However, try not to be such a dick.

Lebeau 3-4

Thanks for the info, as I am trying to increase my technical football knowledge. However, try not to be such a dick.

Wasn't trying to be a dick, just sounded like the short video wasn't getting through to you.

Lebeau 3-4

Wasn't trying to be a dick, just sounded like the short video wasn't getting through to you.

Watch the video and then edit your moronic post.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Man, am I a perv.

It's how I think about it as well. Two-gap gives you a choice...just like those freaky ass women out there.
Share 49ersWebzone