There are 286 users in the forums

What Qb would you want for next year? (Vote)

Shop 49ers game tickets

What Qb would you want for next year? (Vote)

• BobS
  • Veteran
For the 37% of overly optimistic zoners that picked Alex Smith, how many more years does he get to turn it around?
Originally posted by BobS:
For the 37% of overly optimistic zoners that picked Alex Smith, how many more years does he get to turn it around?

Its amazing. Just stupid if you don't want an upgrade as a starting QB.
This thread is whack.

-Sign him to a 1 year deal
-bring in guys that can really compete for the starting role
-let Harbaugh mentor him
-He turns it around re sign him
-He fails.... Oh well. Bye bye, no excuses.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Kolb is an overrated media boy.

McNabb sucks.

Vince Young is a headcase.

Palmer is confusing but the best option as far as current NFL QB's go.

I would like Palmer or Alex Smith to start, draft a QB no matter what to groom. Gabbert ftw.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:

-let Harbaugh mentor him
I want to see Carson Palmer under center next year, how the hell is Alex Smith leading the poll? the guy had 6 chances. Palmer is the best choice right now I think he's still good its just that he hates playing in Cincinnati.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:

-let Harbaugh mentor him

How many times have we heard that?
  • NP9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
I want them all to impregenate Jennifer Montana at the same time and just wait the 20 years

No need to wait 20 years. The spitting image is in his 2nd season at Washington or Wash State this fall. Sometimes you see see Nick make plays and you swear you're looking at film of the old man.
I asked this in another thread.....but can someone tell me why Donovan Mcnabb is looked at as a bum by Niner fans? Donovan was considered a very good QB before last year.

Last year he was learning a new system, had a bad offensive line, and had subpar weapons. Or wait are these excuses only valid for one guy?

i think donovan is still good. i think people don't like him because he has come close but never one the big one. like he can't get it done. think niner fans don't like him because he has burned us many times.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Is there anyone on this board that would trade all of our picks for Vick? I think I might pull the trigger on that.

I know people will trash us for saying so but I would. it's all about getting into the playoffs. from there it's anyone game. Vick would put us into the playoffs and although he wouldn't be an overall solution because i think teams will begin to figure him out, we can draft a qb to train for a couple of years (next year), or trade for a flynn of j. johnson to train. Vick just buys time until Harbaugh gets his pieces in place. As for our other needs, we can handle some of those in free agency and what we don't, we can do so in the following draft. this team won six with a disfunctional coaching staff and poor Qb play. Adding Harbaugh and Vick to our current roster would win the division easy. I know it won't happen but that's the kind of ballzy move i would love to see us make...

lol. how are you going to draft a QB or trade for one when you just traded all your picks to acquire Vick? he is too old and he only had one good year. no deal, Ditka!

man, i'm so happy most of the posters on the WZ are not part of the Niner organization. half of us would be longing for Terry D years.

First off, if I was part of the Niners organization I wouldn't make decisions based on thoughts that just pop into my head like this one. Clearly I have the luxury of day dreaming without fulling considering the circumstances.

With that said, I still think I would pull the trigger. Why do you think a franchise tag costs 2 first rounders? That's actually more (depending) or about even with trading all your picks in one year. But yes, I think the QB position is that important. No one postion can single handedly turn around a franchise like QB.

I'm one of the guys that thinks draft picks are extremly overrated. It's a fricken lottery ticket. The only reason they are so valuable is that your hoping you strike gold, when chances are you will just get a solid player. Your more likely to draft a Manny Lawson (I like manny) than you are a Patrick Willis.

By the way, there is a little thing called Free Agency, not sure if you've heard of it. If you trade picks you just need to go a little heavier in FA.

P.S. I know you think it's foolish because Vick is old, but if that was the case why would the EAGLES (Andy Ried) be willing to trade there once future QB Kolb? That may or may not happen, but it sounds like they will do it for a second. Clearly Andy thinks Vick is more than a stop gap.

Draft picks are important if a GM wants to keep the team dominant for a long time. Most dynasty teams have been built through the draft and judicious uses of some of the abundant draft picks in trading for critical needs. Trading the farm away for one player would be foolish (the 90s Cowboys were built on the blockbuster trade of Herschel Walker to the Vikings.)
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
kolb isnt even worth a 3rd round pick

kolbs career passer rating is only 1 better than smiths and he ahd a much better team throughout his career with coachin stability

keep in mind this passer rating includes smiths 15 int in rookie season

any1 still want kolb?
Since Philly is asking a 1st round pick for Kolb, the question 49er fans should be asking themselves is: Would I rather have Patrick Peterson or Von Miller/ Robert Quinn, OR Kevin Kolb?

Does that help anyone put it in perspective?

Do we really want to be stuck with Alex Smith at QB again?

How about that for perspective?

Edit: And I don't think it'll take a 1st for Kolb, but a 2nd.

Agreed. The market dictates what the Eagles will get for Kolb, not Philly. If no team is willing to trade a 1st, then Philly will just keep him or deal him for a 2nd. No team is going to give a first for him.

There is no reason for the Eagles to trade Kolb if they only receive a 2nd round or lower pick. Michael Vick's durability is still under question. It's much more expensive for the Eagles to find a replacement if Vick went down with a serious injury and Kolb was gone. They would not easily get a starting caliber QB who could start right away for a 2nd round pick.
Share 49ersWebzone