There are 246 users in the forums

Reggie Bush to Be Cut???

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
Gore/Bush in 2011. Yes we can.

For the right price though.

Sounds like a bad campaign bumper sticker.
Quote:
Could Reggie Bush be next for Saints?

February, 22, 2011 6:52PM ET By Pat Yasinskas

With the New Orleans Saints’ release of Jeremy Shockey on Tuesday, there comes an obvious question. Who’s next?

If you’re thinking the answer is Reggie Bush, you might be right. And you might be wrong. This one is going to be a very tough call and I’m glad I don’t have to make it. Coach Sean Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis will have to make the decision and let’s take a glance at some of the numbers they’ll be looking at.

Bush is scheduled to make $11.8 million in base salary in the final season of his contract. More importantly, he’s scheduled to have a $16 million cap figure. Assuming a labor deal gets done and there is a salary cap, there’s no way Bush will play at that figure.

That leaves the Saints with two choices. They could talk to Bush about a contract extension that would spread this year’s base salary over more years and make this season’s cap figure much more friendly. Say what you want about Bush and how he hasn’t lived up to his college hype, but I think the Saints see him as a unique and valuable player. They seem to have a real affinity for them and Bush seems to like the organization and the New Orleans area. If that’s all true, it wouldn’t be all that difficult to work out a deal to keep everyone happy.

The other option would be to cut Bush. The Saints would free up $12.6 million by doing that. But they still would be on the hook for $3.4 million in cap space. That’s a lot of money to count toward a player no longer on your roster, especially when there are ways to keep him on your roster and make him fit nicely by making some contract adjustments. Remember, the Saints are likely to let Pierre Thomas walk into free agency. If they don't have Bush, they would be down to just Chris Ivory and whoever they bring in at running back.

- ESPN

For what it's worth, NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora says he believes Reggie Bush will be released by the Saints before March 4.

Steve Wyche adds in a recent post:

Quote:
Minnesota's Adrian Peterson is likely to get his contract re-worked before next season, but we saw a productive tailback like Thomas Jones get sent packing last offseason and guys like Reggie Bush, Darren Sproles, Cadillac Williams, Clinton Portis, Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams and Willis McGahee could join DeAngelo Williams in free agency.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
Gore/Bush in 2011. Yes we can.

For the right price though.

Sounds like a bad campaign bumper sticker.

Bush/Smith reunited and ready to dominate HS Ball once again
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
This would be good...Another option at running back plus he could help the return game.
we need a CB, pass rusher, safety, wr, qb, much more than we need a #2 rb
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

thats why we have the draft and hopefully Free Agency... SIGN HIM!
I really wanted Bush last year after watching this game.

The video just shows everything he has to offer. Injuries are the concern though but so was Westbrook signing this year.
[ Edited by NC49erfan82 on Feb 24, 2011 at 5:00 PM ]
I guess Charley Casserly was right.
Bush in red and gold.

snap back to reality.....

mattbarrows: Baalke said the 49ers will "look to supplement" the RB position either thru FA, the draft or trade. Did not rule out bringing back Westbrook

Originally posted by PTulini:

mattbarrows: Baalke said the 49ers will "look to supplement" the RB position either thru FA, the draft or trade. Did not rule out bringing back Westbrook

Westbrook < Bush

Make it happen Baalke!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Not that Bush is the answer, or even a starting caliber RB. But Frank Gore probably only has one good year left in him.

We absolutely must consider our future at RB.

Frank Gore has only one good year left!!!!

_______

Frank Gore is amazing. But he isn't long for this organization. Anybody with objectivity can see that. He gets hurt EVERY year, misses 3 or so games. Now he has a hip fracture. Even if he is 100%, the fact remains he is approaching 30 and has an assload of injuries (even by RB standards).

We have to at least consider the options moving forward. It's the smart thing to do.

I'd have to say 2-3 good season left as our primary back, and 3-4 as a rotational back. I agree, we have to start looking for the next best thing, but one good year, c'mon man.

Oh and Reggie Bush would be a nice change of pace back to go along with Gore and Dixon.

Reggie Bush is a home-run hitter out of the backfield and as a return man. He is exactly what we need to spell Gore. Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely they make a real attempt at landing him if the Saints let him walk.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
bush= probowl like numbers in wco

hes fast shifty and change of back back we need

NO media was reporting last season that he seemed to have lost a step - wasn't not as quick and elusive as he had been prior to the knee injury.

I just don't think he is a viable option here for the amount of money he will demand. He will get something in the $6+MILLION range and that is not feasible.

Ask Patrick Willis if Bush lost a step on Monday Night.

People say stuff like this without actually thinking about the likelihood of us not spending on those needs even if we don't go after a guy like Bush.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
bush= probowl like numbers in wco

hes fast shifty and change of back back we need

NO media was reporting last season that he seemed to have lost a step - wasn't not as quick and elusive as he had been prior to the knee injury.

I just don't think he is a viable option here for the amount of money he will demand. He will get something in the $6+MILLION range and that is not feasible.

Why not? We have no franchise QB to pay, no top tier OLB, no shutdown corner (nate will be reduced). Why not pay him the cheddar if Harbaugh thinks he can use him. As you know, knee injuries take about 2 years to recover from (1 year physical/1 year mental).

In fact, outside of Davis/Willis/Gore, our rosters filled with mediocrity. Even Gore's contract is pretty friendly.

So why add to the mediocrity by bringing Bush in?
Share 49ersWebzone