LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Who is the NFL's Best Coach?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Jim Tomsula
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Tomlin has done great, and I think he is a great coach, but it's much easier to inherit a team that is already amazing and take them to the big game. It's much much harder to build a team from scratch and get there, and until he does that successfully, he'll always have a * next to his name in my book.

This year I've got to go with McCarthy. What the man has done in GB is incredible. He took a team of relative nobody's, with the exception of Rodgers and Woodson, and turned them into a Super Bowl team, all this after losing an ungodly amount of starters to season ending injuries (ex Jermichael Finley).

He plays really boring football in terms of a game plan, but the guy gets the win.
Jim Harbaugh, duh

[ Edited by SybErkRimInAL on Jan 28, 2011 at 09:30:40 ]
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Jim Harbaugh, duh
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Jim Harbaugh, duh
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If its this year, I'd have to say Mike McCarthy. Taking a #6 seed to the Super Bowl gets my vote.

Agree. If McCarthy is not named COY it will be a robbery. They have like 16 players on IR this year. McCarthy kept plugging in different guys and adjusting things to get them to where they are now.

Still, the best coach in the league, and it isn't close is Bad Bill from Beantown. He turns over that team every season it seems and still wins. He is the best. He is an example of how a defensive coach can help and allow an offense to work very well. Nolan/Singletary could learn a lot from studying BB.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Nobody mentioning Andy Reid?!

Originally posted by Janitor:
Tomlin has done great, and I think he is a great coach, but it's much easier to inherit a team that is already amazing and take them to the big game. It's much much harder to build a team from scratch and get there, and until he does that successfully, he'll always have a * next to his name in my book.

This year I've got to go with McCarthy. What the man has done in GB is incredible. He took a team of relative nobody's, with the exception of Rodgers and Woodson, and turned them into a Super Bowl team, all this after losing an ungodly amount of starters to season ending injuries (ex Jermichael Finley).

He plays really boring football in terms of a game plan, but the guy gets the win.

to be fair, Ted Thompson built that team, not McCarthy. and most great coaches have a great mind in the front office. but i see what you're saying.
Originally posted by kingkong916:
Jim Tomsula

undefeated, son!
Bill Belichek
Mike McCarthy
Mike Tomlin
Raheem Morris
Sean Payton
Rex Ryan
Lovie Smith

that would be my long list, in that order. Say what you will about Lovie Smith, but he went to the Super Bowl with Rex Motherf**king Grossman and got to another NFC Championship game with a terrible O-line and a very unproven Cutler. Payton took a terrible post-Katrina Saints team and turned it into a champion, and was able to get that team back into the playoffs this year, which is actually harder than you think (to get a SB champion into the playoffs again). Morris took a very young Bucs team and put them into playoff contention at least a year ahead of schedule. He and his staff have done a masterful job with that team, but lets see what he does next year with raised expectations.

People hate Rex Ryan but he's a great coach. Back to back AFC championship games with a young and very erratic QB. Tomlin making his second super bowl makes him an elite coach. McCarthy is an excellent in-game coach and really knows how to use the depth on that team.

but BB is still the best coach in the league. I don't care if they haven't won a playoff game in three years. His resume speaks for itself and his team went 14-2 this year with a bunch of no-name offensive weapons and a very young defense.

Joe Harboe
  • dj43
Originally posted by dman:

He has to be in the top 3 but does not have the consistency of BB.

For me, a coach has to have gone through a period of re-tooling and then began winning again in order to be considered the best. Reid has done that better than anyone except BB.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by dman:

He has to be in the top 3 but does not have the consistency of BB.

For me, a coach has to have gone through a period of re-tooling and then began winning again in order to be considered the best. Reid has done that better than anyone except BB.

oops, yeah, i totally left Reid off my list. its easy to take him for granted, but he's a very good coach, and did a good job this year, though less impressive, I think, than some of the other coaches. But over the last ten years he's near the top of the list. I know several philly fans who think he's a moron, but, hey, they're philly fans.
Originally posted by aman49:
LMAO at anyone who doesn't pick Bellicheck.

good for you
Either Belichick or McCarthy

Belichick did wonders with a young defense and always competes. I don't think I've seen too many games where he was clearly outcoached.

McCarthy simply assembled a great staff in Green Bay & they've overcome so many injuries this year its crazy.

If I had to choose, I'd say McCarthy.

As for Tomlin, I respect his success, but he was also handed the keys to the best run franchise in football. And the team is built on the defense, which he leaves to LeBeau. He'd be higher if he had built the team & defense himself.
Share 49ersWebzone