There are 160 users in the forums

Change to AFC/NFC West Road Games?

Shop 49ers game tickets
wtf

Quote:
I didn't know, either, until the league's Terence Malangone forward me this information this morning: Beginning in 2010, a change was made to how teams are paired in the schedule rotation to ensure that teams playing the AFC and NFC West divisions would not be required to make two West Coast trips (e.g. at San Francisco and at Seattle), while other teams in their division had none (e.g. at St. Louis and at Arizona) ... Seems a quirky and unimportant rules change that hurts fans to me, because now, potentially and anecdotally, a great player like Ben Roethlisberger could play his entire career and never play in Seattle. The Steelers could go 12 years without playing in Seattle. I don't like that.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/01/04/mail/index.html#ixzz1CGj5UeiZ

[ Edited by ads_2006 on Jan 27, 2011 at 12:18:31 ]
then we shouldnt have to go to philly, Miami, NE or NY ever either. this is some bulls**t
  • Adman
  • Veteran
I don't get it. So the giants for example who have to play the nfc west wont have 2 away games against the nfc west?
  • kw49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Adman:
I don't get it. So the giants for example who have to play the nfc west wont have 2 away games against the nfc west?

Naw. This is just to make sure things are fair in the division. It's basically saying if one team in a division has to make two west coast trips, then all teams in that division has to make two west coast trips. For instance if the AFC East is playing the NFC west, there will not be a situation where the Patriots play Seattle and San Francisco on the road while the Dolphins are playing Arizona and St. Louis on the road.

The way it will probably work out is each team in a non west division will play one coastal team and one non coastal team from the west on on the road.

[ Edited by kw49 on Jan 27, 2011 at 17:08:35 ]
  • Adman
  • Veteran
Why isnt the patriots going to sf and seattle and the dolphins going to arizona and st. louis fair? AZ and St. Louis are both west also.
If they are helping east teams like this, then we shouldn't have to start games at 10 am, pst.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
If they are helping east teams like this, then we shouldn't have to start games at 10 am, pst.

east coast bias

agreed, thats friggin bs.
  • Adman
  • Veteran
yea i live on the east coast...but i couldnt imagine having to wake up early on a Sunday to watch my 49ers at 10 in the morning.

That's crazy.
this is why we played IN kansas city this past year when they were supposed to play in san fran. we played in kc in 2006 too. this sucked for us because we probably would have beaten KC in sf. oakland has also played in SF in 2006 and then 2010 so we got some benefit but still, it's lame.

• kw49
  • Veteran
Why isnt the patriots going to sf and seattle and the dolphins going to arizona and st. louis fair? AZ and St. Louis are both west also.

Because SF and Seattle are on the west coast and two time zones away. You don't think it would be an advantage to Miami not to travel to the west coast at all when New England has to twice? (In this hypothetical situation of coarse)
I hope them mandate West coast teams flying East cant play 1 pm EST games.
It's a huge disadvantage to the west coast teams.
  • Adman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kw49:

Because SF and Seattle are on the west coast and two time zones away. You don't think it would be an advantage to Miami not to travel to the west coast at all when New England has to twice? (In this hypothetical situation of coarse)

Arizona is on the west coast and has a 3 hour time difference. St. Louis is more central i guess though.
  • kw49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kw49:

Arizona is on the west coast and has a 3 hour time difference. St. Louis is more central i guess though.

I would consider Arizona more southwest than west coast, and it is not in the pacific time zone. Their time difference varies because they don't follow daylight savings. Anyway, this doesn't seem like a big deal to me. It's not a west versus east thing it's a east vs. east thing. Western teams will never have a fair traveling schedule because there are only 6 teams out west.

Move to the middle. Noon, ftw.
Share 49ersWebzone