There are 153 users in the forums

UPDATE: Pat Shurmur hired by Browns

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

I hope I am wrong...but I think the kid will be good. But you cannot do it by yourself so if they dont improve in other places, it will not matter.

The little s**t does have a lightning quick release.

We'll just have to make him look awful from now on.

Vic Fangio, please.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Wow this thread quickly turned from Shurmur to the Browns to how good of a pro Bradford will be.
it'd probably be good for Bradford.. Shurmur was an ultra conservative loser. if they get a guy who can open up the playbook for Bradford while the FO gets him an actual explosive WR then the Rams will probably own this division until any of the other 3 teams can get some QB stability.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:
SI_PeterKing Peter King

RT @mattb625: @SI_PeterKing Gruden to the Browns? ... Much more likely to be Pat Shurmur.
Could Josh McDaniels be Bradford's next OC ???

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Could Josh McDaniels be Bradford's next OC ???

that would make sense. luckily he's just angling for a HC gig, so even if Bradford has a good year, McDaniels is gone...which means Bradford would have to have another OC...eh, maybe it won't matter, Bradford is damn good, but it would be nice to see another NFC West QB get stuck in an OC carousel.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=CLE

Per Mort and Peter King, he had an impressive interview with Holmgren who once employed his Uncle as DC . . . I hope this happens because it will likely be a set-back for Sam the Ram's sophomore season.

Alex Smith/Jason Campbell 2.0? They've got a defensive minded HC to boot.

-9fA

unfortunately Bradford has more accuracy than Smith or Campbell and has shown it. Wasn't his first NFL game one where he passed for over 300 yards? Enough said.

He may be better, but Bradford did not look so well as the season went on. Add on he will be expected to do more in his second season. If he loses his offensive coordinator now and they don't get a good replacement, Bradford will be in trouble. Not Alex Smith trouble, but trouble nonetheless.

Sam Bradfords last 5 games: 1TD and 6INT's. In those games his QB ratings were as follows: 66.3, 53.0, 40.9, 107.0 (against us) and 52.4.

Also, only 22% of his completions were thrown over 10 yards.

He only completed 10 passes thrown over 20 yards.

Of players that threw at least 14 passes per game(NFL.com), only Jimmy Clausen had less yards per attempt.

I'm pretty sure that this is why he wasn't very good at the end of the season... teams figured out that he couldn't throw the deep passes. Well, except against us....

If Shurmur gets hired, it'll be interesting to see if it was due to scheme or if Bradford really just can't throw the deep pass (could be lack of receivers, too). This is Shurmur's first job as offensive coordinator, isn't it?

All the hoopla over Bradford breaking Peyton Manning's record for completions for a rookie... I don't have access to the statistics for Manning's rookie year for a complete comparison. I know Manning had more yards per attempt....

I'm not sold on Bradford. He did a really good job for a rookie, though.

What I do know is that I'm glad we hired Jim Harbaugh and not Pat Shurmur.

Peyton's Rookie Year: 16 Starts, 575 Att, 326 Comp, 56.75, 26 TDs, 28 Ints, 78 Lg, 71.2 Rt, 6.5 Y/A, 3-13 Record
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 10, 2011 at 6:51 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

He may be better, but Bradford did not look so well as the season went on. Add on he will be expected to do more in his second season. If he loses his offensive coordinator now and they don't get a good replacement, Bradford will be in trouble. Not Alex Smith trouble, but trouble nonetheless.
he played well enough considering the circumstances like first time pro-style or s**tty WRs in most games...the rams had nearly reached the playoffs.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

If Shurmur gets hired, it'll be interesting to see if it was due to scheme or if Bradford really just can't throw the deep pass (could be lack of receivers, too). This is Shurmur's first job as offensive coordinator, isn't it?
i cant imagine that the rams drafted a QB 1st ovr who has a weak arm...but i do think that shurmur will go to the browns b/c they need a mccoy-friendly system, i.e. where mccoy doesnt have to throw deep passes.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM ]
  • dj43
Our good friend Jason is reporting Cleveland will hire Shurmur as HC. I believe that will be a good move for them and for Colt McCoy. Shurmur moved Sam Bradford along much faster than anyone expected and could do a similar job for McCoy.

Shurmur is an Andy Reid disciple and did a nice job getting that Ram offense doing a lot more than anyone thought it could. I like the guy and would have been very happy if he had wound up with the 49er job.

Good news for the Browns and good news for the NFC West. The Rams may not find a comparable replacement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81da3d1a/article/rams-oc-shurmur-all-set-to-take-browns-headcoaching-job?module=HP_headlines
Rams are reported to be interested in Josh McDaniels as OC to replace Shurmur.
[ Edited by dj43 on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:56 PM ]

great that makes our division worse hopefully 49ers capitalize this time.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I guess Browns fans have to hope Pat Shurmur is another Mike Smith and not Scott Linehan.
i'd like for this to leave rob ryan available for our DC position
Originally posted by crabman82:

And what makes you believe Holmgren won't keep Ryan on in Cleveland? He's still under contract and interviewed for a Head Coaching position just last week.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by crabman82:

And what makes you believe Holmgren won't keep Ryan on in Cleveland? He's still under contract and interviewed for a Head Coaching position just last week.

The talk in Cleveland is that Ryan is likely to stay. I dont see him getting a HC gig this year and Shurmur isnt a defensive coach at all so I see him keeping Ryan around.
Share 49ersWebzone