Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
Originally posted by bracus:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by PatrickWillis52:
What the f**k? What is wrong with people...

Yeah, it's soon for people to start this stuff. But you gotta admit that one performance may be better than any of Alex's starts. Especially since it was against a legit team.
When has Alex EVER had a supporting cast remotely close to what Flynn had last night?

I swear some of you apologists pretend he has no help. With a decent QB I fully believe VD would definitely be a 1000 yd TE and so would either Crab or Morgan. Our line is nowhere near perfect but I've seen plenty of teams with worse lines. And don't bring up sacks because we all know the Brothers Smith hold onto that ball too damn long. At the end of the day, you can't make me feel bad about his help. It's no longer Battle and Lloyd (who btw is having a GREAT season). HE HAS WEAPONS.
Vernon Davis would be the only receiver that would even make the 45 man game day roster in Green Bay...and he would be the second option on passing downs. Jermichael Finley is MUCH better pass receiver than Vernon.

You want to fire Singletary but refuse to recognize what a disadvantage he puts his players, particularly his QB in compared to Mike McCarthy.

You may not fell bad about it but that only tells me you don't watch Green Bay football and make objective comparisons.

You give Aaron Rodgers Vernon and skys the limit. He would have waaaaay better stats then Finley.
From your comments it is obvious you know nothing about the Green Bay Packers and their wide receivers and tight ends, therefore I will leave it alone.
Backups require a 3-game-rule.

Rookies require a 3-year-rule.

Alex Smith requires 3-decade-rule.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM ]

Yeah, it's soon for people to start this stuff. But you gotta admit that one performance may be better than any of Alex's starts. Especially since it was against a legit team.
When has Alex EVER had a supporting cast remotely close to what Flynn had last night?

I swear some of you apologists pretend he has no help. With a decent QB I fully believe VD would definitely be a 1000 yd TE and so would either Crab or Morgan. Our line is nowhere near perfect but I've seen plenty of teams with worse lines. And don't bring up sacks because we all know the Brothers Smith hold onto that ball too damn long. At the end of the day, you can't make me feel bad about his help. It's no longer Battle and Lloyd (who btw is having a GREAT season). HE HAS WEAPONS.
Vernon Davis would be the only receiver that would even make the 45 man game day roster in Green Bay...and he would be the second option on passing downs. Jermichael Finley is MUCH better pass receiver than Vernon.

You want to fire Singletary but refuse to recognize what a disadvantage he puts his players, particularly his QB in compared to Mike McCarthy.

You may not fell bad about it but that only tells me you don't watch Green Bay football and make objective comparisons.

You give Aaron Rodgers Vernon and skys the limit. He would have waaaaay better stats then Finley.
From your comments it is obvious you know nothing about the Green Bay Packers and their wide receivers and tight ends, therefore I will leave it alone.

I agree with you one the WRs. But if you honestly think Finley is better then Vernon, your out of your mind.

Jermichaels best season (with Aaron Rodgers)

55 rec 676 yds 5 tds

Vernons best season (with Shaun Hill and Alexis)

78 rec 958 yds 13 tds

It really sounds like you just have a boner for Green Bay football. Maybe your in the wrong forum?
Originally posted by Joecool:
Backups require a 3-game-rule.

Rookies require a 3-year-rule.

Alex Smith requires 3-decade-rule.

Maybe by the time he's 35 he'll have that explosive season all these guys are waiting for.
  • dj43

I agree with you one the WRs. But if you honestly think Finley is better then Vernon, your out of your mind.

55 rec 676 yds 5 tds

78 rec 958 yds 13 tds

It really sounds like you just have a boner for Green Bay football. Maybe your in the wrong forum?
Davis is a better blocker and has better straight line speed. Finley, OTOH, is a much better route runner and very good at reading defenses and on hot reads despite the fact he is only in his third year.

Last year he missed three games due to injury and played hurt in a couple others.
Still, sharing the ball with 3 other very solid wideouts he still caught 55 passes

If Davis were in Green Bay, he would be the blocking TE on running downs and Finley would be the pass catcher though there might be more double TE situations than now. I know that sounds like blasphemy to 49er fans but Finley is that good. Losing him after four games this year was a major blow to GB hopes and a partial reason why they are not running away with the NFC North. (GB has had a huge run of injuries this year)

I'm not particularly a GB fan. I just appreciate good offense, good coaching and talented players. GB is one of the teams in the league that has that.

55 rec 676 yds 5 tds

78 rec 958 yds 13 tds

Davis is a better blocker and has better straight line speed. Finley, OTOH, is a much better route runner and very good at reading defenses and on hot reads despite the fact he is only in his third year.

Last year he missed three games due to injury and played hurt in a couple others.
Still, sharing the ball with 3 other very solid wideouts he still caught 55 passes

If Davis were in Green Bay, he would be the blocking TE on running downs and Finley would be the pass catcher though there might be more double TE situations than now. I know that sounds like blasphemy to 49er fans but Finley is that good. Losing him after four games this year was a major blow to GB hopes and a partial reason why they are not running away with the NFC North. (GB has had a huge run of injuries this year)

I'm not particularly a GB fan. I just appreciate good offense, good coaching and talented players. GB is one of the teams in the league that has that.

Let them switch places and Vernon would have better stats. Vernon averages under 4 receptions a game. Finley averages over 5. You put Finley on SF he'll get less. You put Vernon on GB, he'll get more.
Just imagine a coach that uses his threats. GB does that. We do not. Hell, we had Ginn start like 5 games. I think they tried a bomb like 4 times with him. Also figure half of Vernons receptions are like 2 yrds off the line of scrimmage. Talent wise, Finley just doesn't compare IMO.
  • dj43

55 rec 676 yds 5 tds

78 rec 958 yds 13 tds

Let them switch places and Vernon would have better stats. Vernon averages under 4 receptions a game. Finley averages over 5. You put Finley on SF he'll get less. You put Vernon on GB, he'll get more.
No doubt VD would have better numbers in GB than he has in SF and Finley would have less in SF, but that doesn't make Vernon a better pass receiver than Finley because he isn't. However, that wasn't the question or the discussion.

The point being, Flynn benefitted by having a very good coaching staff and supporting cast that is far better than anything Alex Smith has ever had. Do you disagree with that?
Flynn was good last night but I wouldn't call him impressive nor do I think he would be a good starter.

55 rec 676 yds 5 tds

78 rec 958 yds 13 tds

No doubt VD would have better numbers in GB than he has in SF and Finley would have less in SF, but that doesn't make Vernon a better pass receiver than Finley because he isn't. However, that wasn't the question or the discussion.

The point being, Flynn benefitted by having a very good coaching staff and supporting cast that is far better than anything Alex Smith has ever had. Do you disagree with that?

Of course. But on the other hand I just don't understand why people still pretend like Alex has no help and the reason he fails is that. I have a hard time believing 98% of the defenses just shut down every WR we have.

• dj43

55 rec 676 yds 5 tds

78 rec 958 yds 13 tds

Of course. But on the other hand I just don't understand why people still pretend like Alex has no help and the reason he fails is that. I have a hard time believing 98% of the defenses just shut down every WR we have.
Two responses and then I'll leave it alone because this thread is about Flynn not Alex:

It is illogical for fans to almost unanimously demand the coach and his staff be fired without also recognizing the negative effect they have had on players, their development and subsequent lack of success. Other than Patrick Willis, who came in a man child full-grown, since Nolan first arrived, there has been a pathetically poor level of improvement/development of any of the draft picks.

Yes, from observations in the stadium by experts like Gary Plummer, and personal observations, 49er receivers are well covered most of the time by all of the better teams they have played. Of all the receivers that have come through here, none of them beat coverage on a reliable basis. Route running continues to be a constant thread here in the zone. Also, of all the receivers the 49ers have had and released only Brandon Lloyd (three years later) and Antonio Bryant (for one season) have had any level of success after leaving the team. The only logical conclusion one can reach is that they are just not very good.

Now, compare all that to the numerous times Matt Flynn had wide open receivers who held onto imperfect throws made with very adequate pass protection from a solid veteran line and you should see a very clear difference between the very good GB system and the train wreck that is the 49ers, both now and ever since Mooch left.
Apparently Flynn's doing well
If I had the choice between Flynn and Alex

I would choose Flynn
Originally posted by LundyLove:
If I had the choice between Flynn and Alex

I would choose Flynn

good for you
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
adbrandt Andrew Brandt

We know what Andrew Luck will make: about 24M guaranteed over four years. As for Flynn, depends on market.
Share 49ersWebzone