LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Matt Flynn

Shop 49ers game tickets
Flynn reminds me of our own Troy Smith. After the one game teams started to game plan against him, and the real good ones executed on D against him. I feel this will be the same with Flynn because he'd be limited on play book.

I know it was the Pats D that Flynn did great against but if the Pats D had a previous weeks game tape on him, he wouldnt fear so well.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by dj43:
He had a pretty good game tonight considering it was his first start. He showed he could change speeds and make the throws. His lack of experience against the blitz showed but that is to be expected. Overall, he showed why McCarthy has moved him from #3 to #2. If GB had been playing anyone but Brady, they would have won that game.

They prob win if he doesn't throw a pick 6. They were in complete control of that game running the ball well and they call 5 wide on 3rd and 3 and he junks a pick 6 didn't like the play call at all.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I think he played pretty well. He was pretty accurate and precise, but his deep ball was terrible. Every long shot he took was bad.

I think he handled the game well, but in the end his lack of experience showed, but what do you expect from a kid who has never been there before?

Regardless, he had a better night than any of our QB's have had all season. I don't think he's the next savior of the 49ers, but I don't think the kid looked bad with one week of practice under his belt against the AFC champs.
aahhh no
I like it, I think if we give up a 3rd round pick then if it doesn't work out we at least have a solid backup. He'll need a good offensive system which we don't have right now. Carson Palmer are you kidding me? He's got less arm strength than Pennington does now? McNabb's had a good career but his mechanics still blow, if he's available and we can't get anyone else then yah McNabb is a good pickup, Orton can be a 1 year guy. I liked Flynn, ya people say one game, that's true, but if were to only see Alex Smith's game against Seattle where he had 3TDs I'd still say he sucks, no arm strength, throws like a girl, terrible footwork, no short range accuracy. Flynn showed poise, arm strength, touch, and some balls. s**t, you guys are as bad as the front office we have now
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Matt Flynn = career backup

Dude had a good game, but the guy is clearly not starter material.
Originally posted by Muggins879:

Haha, this one had me literally laughing out loud at work.

Oh, and who is Matt Flynn again? Lets not trade for him.
  • dj43
Originally posted by frenchmov:
He had a pretty good game tonight considering it was his first start. He showed he could change speeds and make the throws. His lack of experience against the blitz showed but that is to be expected. Overall, he showed why McCarthy has moved him from #3 to #2. If GB had been playing anyone but Brady, they would have won that game.

uh, if green bay had been playing even an average defense they would have lost either way. you saw what the lions did to him and they are middle of the pack. the patriots have one of the worst defenses in the league. granted they turned it on the past 2 weeks, but overall they are playing with a lot of rooks and guys off the street. they were also down a few lineman.
NE has improved as theIR young players gain experience. Don't be completely influenced by their defense rating. They are coached by the best defensive coach in the league not name Lebeau.

Also, give a LOT of credit to the fact that Green Bay has one of the best offensive coaches and systems in the league. That counts for a TON. Their OL is healthy and playing VERY WELL. Also, GB has the best and deepest receiving corp in the league. All of that is going to make it a lot easier for a young guy to look good. That game was the epitome of why a solid system is central to any offensive success.
Originally posted by PatrickWillis52:
What the f**k? What is wrong with people...

Yeah, it's soon for people to start this stuff. But you gotta admit that one performance may be better than any of Alex's starts. Especially since it was against a legit team. Although I still would prefer to draft a QB and sign McNabb or Orton for 1 year for the rook to watch.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

uh, if green bay had been playing even an average defense they would have lost either way. you saw what the lions did to him and they are middle of the pack. the patriots have one of the worst defenses in the league. granted they turned it on the past 2 weeks, but overall they are playing with a lot of rooks and guys off the street. they were also down a few lineman.
the pats' defense sucked in the first half of the season but was stabilized during the last weeks...

• dj43
Originally posted by bracus:

Yeah, it's soon for people to start this stuff. But you gotta admit that one performance may be better than any of Alex's starts. Especially since it was against a legit team.
When has Alex EVER had a supporting cast remotely close to what Flynn had last night?

Yeah, it's soon for people to start this stuff. But you gotta admit that one performance may be better than any of Alex's starts. Especially since it was against a legit team.
When has Alex EVER had a supporting cast remotely close to what Flynn had last night?

I swear some of you apologists pretend he has no help. With a decent QB I fully believe VD would definitely be a 1000 yd TE and so would either Crab or Morgan. Our line is nowhere near perfect but I've seen plenty of teams with worse lines. And don't bring up sacks because we all know the Brothers Smith hold onto that ball too damn long. At the end of the day, you can't make me feel bad about his help. It's no longer Battle and Lloyd (who btw is having a GREAT season). HE HAS WEAPONS.
  • dj43

I swear some of you apologists pretend he has no help. With a decent QB I fully believe VD would definitely be a 1000 yd TE and so would either Crab or Morgan. Our line is nowhere near perfect but I've seen plenty of teams with worse lines. And don't bring up sacks because we all know the Brothers Smith hold onto that ball too damn long. At the end of the day, you can't make me feel bad about his help. It's no longer Battle and Lloyd (who btw is having a GREAT season). HE HAS WEAPONS.
Vernon Davis would be the only receiver that would even make the 45 man game day roster in Green Bay...and he would be the second option on passing downs. Jermichael Finley is MUCH better pass receiver than Vernon.

You want to fire Singletary but refuse to recognize what a disadvantage he puts his players, particularly his QB in compared to Mike McCarthy.

You may not fell bad about it but that only tells me you don't watch Green Bay football and make objective comparisons.

Vernon Davis would be the only receiver that would even make the 45 man game day roster in Green Bay...and he would be the second option on passing downs. Jermichael Finley is MUCH better pass receiver than Vernon.

You want to fire Singletary but refuse to recognize what a disadvantage he puts his players, particularly his QB in compared to Mike McCarthy.

You may not fell bad about it but that only tells me you don't watch Green Bay football and make objective comparisons.

You give Aaron Rodgers Vernon and skys the limit. He would have waaaaay better stats then Finley.

I think the fact that we're having a "Smith versus Flynn" argument is hilarious.
Share 49ersWebzone