LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

How many active players are HOF bound?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by HessianDud:
^^ you left off Tomlinson.

Also, I don't think Heap has anywhere near the credentials to be a HOFer.

Oh nice catch, I completely forgot about LT.

And yeah, for some reason I just assumed he was a great TE, but he doesn't even have a 1,000 yd receiving season
you also left off TO.. he has the numbers to make it in
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
you also left off TO.. he has the numbers to make it in

Yep, forgot him too. And Ochocinco, but I'd put him in my "not quite" list.
Originally posted by statman:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
^^ you left off Tomlinson.

Also, I don't think Heap has anywhere near the credentials to be a HOFer.

Oh nice catch, I completely forgot about LT.

And yeah, for some reason I just assumed he was a great TE, but he doesn't even have a 1,000 yd receiving season

The thing that is hard about evaluating the HOF credentials of active players is that its hard to get perspective on their careers, unless they are unquestionably great or near the end of their careers. Even then, though, its hard to tell. A lot of it will have to do with who else is eligible when they are up for enshrinement and how we view their "era" in ten-fifteen years.

For instance, Rivers is a fantastic QB putting up great numbers. But in ten-fifteen years will we look at his career and say that it was "all-time great"? I have a feeling that we won't. Once upon a time a guy like Rivers would be a HOFer on those numbers alone, but when 12 guys a season pass for 4,000 yards you have to do other, really special things to distinguish yourself. I think there's going to be a lot of players that we consider great players today who will never sniff the HOF and who we might even end up forgetting completely.
Originally posted by statman:
Here's my list, broken down by team. I also included players that some might consider future hall of famers, just not by me (italicized).

Arizona Cardinals
WR Larry Fitzgerald
OG Alan Faneca
OLB Joey Porter
SS Adrian Wilson

Atlanta Falcons
TE Tony Gonzalez
DE John Abraham

Baltimore Ravens
C Matt Birk
TE Todd Heap
LB Ray Lewis
FS Ed Reed

Buffalo Bills
None

Carolina Panthers
LB Jon Beason
WR Steve Smith

Chicago Bears
C Olin Kreutz
KR/PR Devin Hester
LB Brian Urlacher
DE Julius Peppers

Cincinnati Bengals
None

Cleveland Browns
LT Joe Thomas

Dallas Cowboys
OLB Demarcus Ware
TE Jason Witten

Denver Broncos
FS Brian Dawkins
CB Champ Bailey
LT Ryan Clady

Detroit Lions
WR Calvin Johnson
DT NDamukong Suh

Green Bay Packers
QB Aaron Rodgers
WR Donald Driver

Houston Texans
WR Andre Johnson

Indianapolis Colts
QB Peyton Manning
C Jeff Saturday
DE Dwight Freeney
K Adam Vinatieri
WR Reggie Wayne
RT Ryan Diem

Jacksonville Jaguars
None

Kansas City Chiefs
OG Brian Waters

Miami Dolphins
WR Brandon Marshall

Minnesota Vikings
QB Brett Favre
OG Steve Hutchinson
DT Pat Williams
DE Jared Allen

New England Patriots
QB Tom Brady
LT Matt Light
NT Vince Wilfork
C Dan Koppen

New Orleans Saints
QB Drew Brees
LB Jonathan Vilma

New York Giants
LT David Diehl
OG Chris Snee
C Shaun O'Hara

New York Jets
C Nick Mangold
CB Darrelle Revis
DE Shaun Ellis

Oakland Raiders
P Shane Lechler

Philadelphia Eagles
QB Michael Vick

Pittsburgh Steelers
QB Ben Roethlisberger
WR Hines Ward
OLB James Harrison
NT Casey Hampton
SS Troy Polamalu
LB James Farrior

San Diego Chargers
QB Philip Rivers
TE Antonio Gates

San Francisco 49ers
LB Patrick Willis
RB Frank Gore
RB Brian Westbrook

Seattle Seahawks
None

St. Louis Rams
RB Steven Jackson

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
CB Ronde Barber

Tennessee Titans
WR Randy Moss
RB Chris Johnson

Washington Redskins
LB London Fletcher
QB Donovan McNabb

Thoughts? Did I miss somebody, or add somebody who shouldn't be there?

I think that is a pretty good list, although of course there are a lot of guys there who are not far along enough in their careers to really have a definite feel for their HOF legitimacy yet.

Also, in my opinion there are quite a few players who in my mind might only qualify for the "Hall of Very Good". Someone mentioned Todd Heap and I agree, someone like Hines Ward might also fall into that category as well as several others.

A guy I would like to add would be Richard Seymour: He is an exceptional 3-4 DE and is unique in that he generates an excellent Pass Rush from his position, which is rather unusual. He also was an integral part of all the Patriots Super Bowl teams (so he has the rings) and he even managed to play well after being traded to Oakland! That alone might be HOF-worthy

I also think Brian Moorman should get a little consideration, although he does have slightly worse stats than Lechler and is...well, a punter in Buffalo. As I said, he has slightly worse stats, but he also does not have the luxury of having home games in California weather conditions, so I think him being as good as his is mighty impressive.

But then again, I think Lechler will not make it when even Ray Guy does not get in and unfortunately, I think even Vinatieri will have a hard time getting into the Hall even though without him, neither Tom Brady nor Peyton Manning might have any rings
Joey Porter? Jason Witten??
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
I don't think Ben will make it. Great player but he hasn't been the best in any year he has played. Heck, you can make a case that Rodgers and Rivers have played better than him since starting and all will continue to battle it out for the best in the league once brady and manning retire.

because he has already won 2 SuperBowls
i bet rodger goodell would change the rules so that tom brady can enter the HOF the day he retires.
Polomalu, LT, Ray Lewis, Tony Gonzales, Gates, Vinitary, Donald Driver(maybe), Urlacher, James Harrison, Dwight Freeny and Mathis, Holati Ngata, oh yea Devin Hester.
Share 49ersWebzone