How many active players are HOF bound?

Shop 49ers game tickets
darren sharper?

patrick willis if he gets bounces back from this average season
Originally posted by YungAce:
darren sharper?

he needs to get in the postseason
Peppers? Or does he need most in the postseason?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
I don't think Ben will make it. Great player but he hasn't been the best in any year he has played. Heck, you can make a case that Rodgers and Rivers have played better than him since starting and all will continue to battle it out for the best in the league once brady and manning retire.

When Rivers or Rogers is even in one SB then talk to me. Until then Ben is clearly ahead of them in any HOF talk. The guy is the leader of a team that won 2 SBs and won an MVP. I almost think its a no brainer that he makes it in unless his career takes some crazy downturn.

I do agree that at this point he is ahead of them. I do believe Rodgers will be in a SB at some point in his career and could win it, heck he was close last year but like you said, until then i guess you are right that the SB appearances help. Also how do you know he is the leader of that team. You can easily make a case that Troy is the leader of that team since the defense is the backbone of that team and has been for a while.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by YungAce:
darren sharper?

he needs to get in the postseason

true true

deep into the post-season at least
I don't think Ben will make it. Great player but he hasn't been the best in any year he has played. Heck, you can make a case that Rodgers and Rivers have played better than him since starting and all will continue to battle it out for the best in the league once brady and manning retire.

When Rivers or Rogers is even in one SB then talk to me. Until then Ben is clearly ahead of them in any HOF talk. The guy is the leader of a team that won 2 SBs and won an MVP. I almost think its a no brainer that he makes it in unless his career takes some crazy downturn.

I do agree that at this point he is ahead of them. I do believe Rodgers will be in a SB at some point in his career and could win it, heck he was close last year but like you said, until then i guess you are right that the SB appearances help. Also how do you know he is the leader of that team. You can easily make a case that Troy is the leader of that team since the defense is the backbone of that team and has been for a while.

The QB is the leader on the field. He was the one that made an incredible play to win the SB for them when all seemed lost. You dont have to be the leading stat guy to be in the HOF. Look at Terry Bradshaw or Troy Aikman as great examples of that. They were the leaders on teams that won multiple SuperBowls. Just like Ben.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Alex Smith

~Ceadder

The QB is the leader on the field. He was the one that made an incredible play to win the SB for them when all seemed lost. You dont have to be the leading stat guy to be in the HOF. Look at Terry Bradshaw or Troy Aikman as great examples of that. They were the leaders on teams that won multiple SuperBowls. Just like Ben.

He didn't make the play, Holmes did. No doubt ben helped but look at what holmes did in the final drive. He got the YAC and made the spectacular catch. Like i said, how do you know Big Ben is the leader of that team, do you have actual proof of that.

He didn't make the play, Holmes did. No doubt ben helped but look at what holmes did in the final drive. He got the YAC and made the spectacular catch. Like i said, how do you know Big Ben is the leader of that team, do you have actual proof of that.

You are just sounding silly now by asking for proof for something like that. The QB is the leader on the field. Not the center, not the WR.... its the QB. Brady, Manning, Rogers, Ben, Brees... you name them. The great QBs are the leaders of those teams. I dont have to prove anything to you to know that.

As for Ben only "helping "... give me a break. Sure it was a great catch but it was a PERFECT throw put in the only place the ball could have gone for a completion. There are very few men alive that could have made that throw.

Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by jreff22:
I can't believe you put Champ Bailey up there before Ed Reed or Ray Lewis

just rattling off names

that cool. I thought of Ed Reed right away but after reading this thread I think Polumalu gets in also.

a long shot might be Hines Ward b/c he's pretty well rounded, praised for his blocking, won Super Bowls, and it pains to me to say it but being a Steeler probably helps too.

Hines Ward is a hell no. He was never the best WR in the league so if you let him in then you must let a whole lot of WR's in also.

he'll probably get in, just not first ballot.

he has better numbers than lynn swan and stallworth, both HOFers. that will probably get him in. (whether or not he actually deserves it)

You are just sounding silly now by asking for proof for something like that. The QB is the leader on the field. Not the center, not the WR.... its the QB. Brady, Manning, Rogers, Ben, Brees... you name them. The great QBs are the leaders of those teams. I dont have to prove anything to you to know that.

As for Ben only "helping "... give me a break. Sure it was a great catch but it was a PERFECT throw put in the only place the ball could have gone for a completion. There are very few men alive that could have made that throw.

Im not talking about other teams, im talking about the steelers and big ben. You are saying he is the leader of that team while he may be the leader of the offense, there are many leaders on that team like Troy, farrior, and ward. They don't play QB but it doesn't mean they are not the leaders of the team. As for Ben making the play for them that is only part true like i said, you said he made the play for them to win the SB but that play doesn't happen without Holmes first catching a 10 yard pass and making it an 20+ yard gain after the catch. Then, like you said, only a few QB's can make that throw, however even fewer WR's can make that catch and hold on to it. Holmes made that incredible play to win it for the steelers. He doesn't make that catch and who knows what happens. Also were are you getting that he won an MVP.
[ Edited by ea_thegreat on Dec 13, 2010 at 12:05 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

just rattling off names

that cool. I thought of Ed Reed right away but after reading this thread I think Polumalu gets in also.

a long shot might be Hines Ward b/c he's pretty well rounded, praised for his blocking, won Super Bowls, and it pains to me to say it but being a Steeler probably helps too.

Hines Ward is a hell no. He was never the best WR in the league so if you let him in then you must let a whole lot of WR's in also.

he has better numbers than lynn swan and stallworth, both HOFers. that will probably get him in. (whether or not he actually deserves it)

The thing is that if they let ward in or players like ward that have put up stats but were never Elite you will have a whole bunch of WR's in this ERA heading into the HOF and i don't think they will do that. Lot's of WR's now will put up great numbers but were not elite. Plus he has never made a first team All Pro team. A couple of second All Pro teams but the HOF should require a couple of first All Pro teams.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

just rattling off names

The thing is that if they let ward in or players like ward that have put up stats but were never Elite you will have a whole bunch of WR's in this ERA heading into the HOF and i don't think they will do that. Lot's of WR's now will put up great numbers but were not elite. Plus he has never made a first team All Pro team. A couple of second All Pro teams but the HOF should require a couple of first All Pro teams.

i know the argument. i'm just saying the HOF on many levels is a popularity contest.... example, Randy Moss may not get in because he has a rep of being a pr*ck.

I'm just saying.

Im not talking about other teams, im talking about the steelers and big ben. You are saying he is the leader of that team while he may be the leader of the offense, there are many leaders on that team like Troy, farrior, and ward. They don't play QB but it doesn't mean they are not the leaders of the team. As for Ben making the play for them that is only part true like i said, you said he made the play for them to win the SB but that play doesn't happen without Holmes first catching a 10 yard pass and making it an 20+ yard gain after the catch. Then, like you said, only a few QB's can make that throw, however even fewer WR's can make that catch and hold on to it. Holmes made that incredible play to win it for the steelers. He doesn't make that catch and who knows what happens. Also were are you getting that he won an MVP.

I was wrong about Ben winning MVP of the SB. I thought he had won it one of the two times the Steelers won it all. That really is irrelevant though on whether he will get to the HOF. He has won 2 SB's in the early stage of his career. How many QB's have ever played in the league that won 2 SB's and considered a star that didnt make the Hall?

I am not talking about in the locker room. I am talking about on the field. He is the leader on the field as really all QB's are. It is the most difficult position, the most important position, and the one that generally decides who wins.

Ben made the throw to win the SB. Is that better for you? Just like Joe Montana made a great throw to win SB 23 with all the pressure on the line, Ben did the same thing. He made an incredible play ( or throw if you prefer) in the ultimate moment. The catch was incredible - the throw was even more amazing.
Share 49ersWebzone