LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Should the NFL boot the Lions from Thanksgiving Day game

Shop 49ers game tickets

Should the NFL boot the Lions from Thanksgiving Day game

With Thanksgiving comes debate for NFL to boot Lions from holiday

With the Detroit Lions mired in yet another dismal season, their appearance Thursday in the annual Thanksgiving game will again spark debate. The Lions' only national TV appearance in recent years has come on Thanksgiving Day. The team is hosting its 71st annual holiday game this season. The Lions' annual Thanksgiving Day game is a tradition in Detroit.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has said in recent years that the league has no immediate plans to strip the Lions or the Dallas Cowboys of their place as hosts of two of the three Thanksgiving games.

But whispers have persisted in some NFL circles that other teams would like the chance to host the national TV showcase. And NFL Network host Rich Eisen said on the Dan Patrick show Wednesday that he's heard from some in the league who want on-field performance to play a role in who hosts the holiday games.

"I have spoken to some executives who would love relegation," he said. "...You would have to have two or three years above .500."

The league added a third Thanksgiving game in 2006 that rotates among the other 30 teams.
USA Today

[ Edited by global_nomad on Nov 24, 2010 at 23:02:56 ]
Lions game might be pretty good. Thus far this year they've been a hell of a lot more entertaining than the 49ers. There hasn't been a single Lions game even close as boring as that yawner SF put up last weekend.
I don't ever want us to play on Thanksgiving. It would make or break my day
I bet if they took the Lions off of Thanksgiving day then they would be a winning franchise for once. It's a conspiracy by the NFL, they know this.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yes and the cowboys also. They should just rotate the games and let every team have a chance to play on turkey day.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by McLovin:
Yes and the cowboys also. They should just rotate the games and let every team have a chance to play on turkey day.

This.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by McLovin:

This.

lol
Yes.

Or at least have them play a weaker opponent. Like any team from the NFC West.
By your argument the same way they should boot us from Monday Night Football and Sunday Night Football.
I rather them boot the cowboys. Seeing them on TV always ruins a little bit of my Thanksgiving.

yeah they totally blow,let 2 winning teams from the previous year play,or some good division rivals.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
By your argument the same way they should boot us from Monday Night Football and Sunday Night Football.

Not exactly, the Lions are guaranteed this game every year. The only reason the 49ers got 4 primetime games this year is because the league bought into the hype that the division was ours for the taking......or losing...
the Giants should play in it every year
loines ___ niners
No but they should boot us from the Monday night game
Share 49ersWebzone