LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

The Worst Coach in NFL History?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
sorry but IMO Sing is not the worst coach ever, let alone our worst coach ever.

Id say Erickson.

Erickson basically got screwed like a $2 ho by Donohue. For really bad coaches we need to go back to Ken Meyer and Pete McCulley. Those boys might have been the worst in history.

Sing is nowhere near the worst, however, he is equally far from being good enough.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by ajveltri:
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Matt Millen

//end thread

Matt Millen wasnt a coach

I know, I was kidding because this thread is silly. He GM'd the worst in Rod M. Judged by numbers, Marinelli is the worst. Sing isn't the worst. There have been so many worse. Many coaches have been successful as motivators, but they had some form or X's and O's. Sing doesn't.

It is just a case of he was rushed to head coach. He didn't do his time across different coaching positions.

I was looking at Leslie Frazier's career the other day. He coached DBs for years, then was a d coordinator for years. And an assistant head coach. Sing only coached LBs and was given the assistant title so he wouldn't leave. He didn't have time and never served in a position where he needed to make decisions and scheme. That is the problem. He only taught a position he knew as a player.

Just because he isn't a good coach doesnt make him the worst ever. He won some games and got rushed to the front. This thread is based off personal feelings and is really just dumb.

I know this is my personal feelings that is why I am soo aggravated as a fan!

I listen to the guy speak, his press conferences, how he handles the clock, game plan, scheme its all a mess. It would be like me trying to run this team with zero experience!

Singletary is useless in all facets of Pro football, he can't adapt because he doesn't want to, because he is an arrogant, block head with a narrow vision! People like him don't belong leading, they belong following end of story!

He is way over his head.

But, he is a good motivator.

Ask yourself this...If he had Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel as his coordinators, would he win. Yes, because they would put the package together and he could do his speaking and motivating. It would be successful. And everyone would be singing his praises.

Without solid coordinators, he will fail like right now.

Way over his head.

No, no matter who he had as coordinators, he would make them run Gore up the gut, and drop back into a soft defense.
Nolan was worse. Plain and simple. Erickson was also worse.

Sing's not much better than either but he got us to play themost successful ball that we've played in 7 years last year. Even though that only amounted to 8-8, that was still our best record of that era.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
sorry but IMO Sing is not the worst coach ever, let alone our worst coach ever.

Id say Erickson.

Agreed! Erickson is the worst that I can remember, for the Niners at least.

Sing is one of the worst because he hand-picked Raye for OC, got rid of a good back-up/starter (Hill) for a proven 1st overall bust (Carr), then fires Raye after a few games into 2nd season, then benches Carr after a poor performance in Carolina, then week after week his motivational skills/excuses gets more repetitive and tiring to hear, etc. I used to respect Singletary a lot, now I can't wait for him to be fired and hire another HC...even if they wanna bring in their own staff or fire half of ours...whatever to get the Niners over .500 for a change.

The recent article about hiring Harbaugh and trading up to do what it takes to draft Luck would be a great idea!
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Nolan was worse. Plain and simple. Erickson was also worse.

Sing's not much better than either but he got us to play themost successful ball that we've played in 7 years last year. Even though that only amounted to 8-8, that was still our best record of that era.

I'd take Nolan over Singletary. I may even take Erickson over Singletary.

I'd like to take all 3 to the trash heap though.

Help us Captain Comeback, you're our only hope.

[ Edited by sdninerfan on Nov 24, 2010 at 08:45:31 ]
Art Shell and his bed n breakfast coaching staff....

[ Edited by Hitman49 on Nov 24, 2010 at 08:52:30 ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by ajveltri:

Singletary also strikes me as a guy who has difficulty in all parts of life, he seems really fake to me. What I mean by that is, he tries to sound soo nice and understanding, and intelligent, when in all honesy he is nothing more than an arrogant, pompass, pig headed jerk off! He seems like he pisses people off on a regular basis, he has the my way or highway attitude and it's very evident in how he does this job!

JUST LEAVE ALREADY SINGLETARY WE DONT WANT YOU ANYMORE YOU MAKE US SICK TO OUR STOMACHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He is not a bad guy. In fact, he is a very passionate guy who has done a great deal of charitable and community service work. He has spread his wealth around.

His problem now is that he is just in over his head. He will be a good coach someday because he is driven to do so. Jed should not have elevated him to a position he was not ready to fill. His attitude is one of frustration and not having answers when he knows he should have them.

[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 25, 2010 at 11:24:17 ]
I can think of a certain series of coaches we had after Dick Nolan was let go.
Share 49ersWebzone