LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

Wow, it all makes sense now

Shop 49ers game tickets
How OLD is Holmgren now?

Can the man really connect with today's younger players?

I'd still opt for the younger coaches. Jeff Tedford's star isn't as bright as it once was at Cal -- but perhaps all he needs is a change of scenery. Tedford is a molder of QB's -- at least he was once. While it's true that he hasn't "molded" a good one in a few seasons -- the list of QB's he's put into the NFL is endless.

The second option is Harbaugh. But he's gonna cost $$$. And he'll want to bring Luck along. And that is going to cost multiple draft picks and $$$. We'll be putting all of our eggs into one basket again -- like we did with Alex Smith -- and that just makes me VERY nervous.

Another option is Chris Peterson at Boise State. He's straight out of the West Coast tree.

All three of those coaches are better options in my opinion. Holmgren is a retread. He had his day. He had a great run. But that was awhile ago.

EDIT: I'd also like to add the name Pat Hill to this list. I'd do anything to get that cancer out of Fresno State. Yeah -- it would mean another three to four years of terrible 49er football. But at least my beloved Bulldogs might be inclined to hire someone that doesn't feel like serving as a doormat to Boise State.

[ Edited by billbird2111 on Nov 23, 2010 at 11:34:43 ]
Here is something that is extremely important to consider. The hiring of a new head coach must consider who he will be able to bring in as his OC, his DC and his position coaches. Remember that many of the best ones arecurrently under contract with other teams. Hence, a new HC will have a tough time bringing in first class guys. Most of those available are available because they have been let go by other teams for various reasons.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Here is something that is extremely important to consider. The hiring of a new head coach must consider who he will be able to bring in as his OC, his DC and his position coaches. Remember that many of the best ones arecurrently under contract with other teams. Hence, a new HC will have a tough time bringing in first class guys. Most of those available are available because they have been let go by other teams for various reasons.

There's supposed to be quite a few current head coaches fired. Those will add to the pool of available coordinators.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
we don't have to "tank" the year, as long as we're in the bottom portion of the standings

When Singletary is the HC, there is no need to tank.
  • dj43
Originally posted by billbird2111:
How OLD is Holmgren now?

I'd still opt for the younger coaches. Jeff Tedford's star isn't as bright as it once was at Cal -- but perhaps all he needs is a change of scenery. Tedford is a molder of QB's -- at least he was once. While it's true that he hasn't "molded" a good one in a few seasons -- the list of QB's he's put into the NFL is endless.

The second option is Harbaugh. But he's gonna cost $$$. And he'll want to bring Luck along. And that is going to cost multiple draft picks and $$$. We'll be putting all of our eggs into one basket again -- like we did with Alex Smith -- and that just makes me VERY nervous.

Another option is Chris Peterson at Boise State. He's straight out of the West Coast tree.

All three of those coaches are better options in my opinion. Holmgren is a retread. He had his day. He had a great run. But that was awhile ago.

EDIT: I'd also like to add the name Pat Hill to this list. I'd do anything to get that cancer out of Fresno State. Yeah -- it would mean another three to four years of terrible 49er football. But at least my beloved Bulldogs might be inclined to hire someone that doesn't feel like serving as a doormat to Boise State.
You should not be concerned at all about Holmgren's age and connecting with younger players. Young players need veteran coaches that can help them get through tough times. There is a GREAT deal of value that can only be gained via experience. Note the struggles Josh McDaniel has had due to his inexperience. Sean Peyton has commented on how much he had to learn about being the lead man in NO.

I like the idea of Harbaugh. His long NFL connection would allow him to fit in faster than any other college coach I can think of. Not crazy about Peterson - played a relatively weak schedule. I want someone who has played the big schools and done well.

Tedford would be a distant 2nd choice for me.

A future star, IMO, is Pat Shurmur, current Ram OC. The job he has done in taking Bradford from a spread offense to WCO has been very noteworthy. He is getting a lot more out of that Ram offense than anyone thought was possible. I would like to see what he does with another year or two under his belt but Mike McCarthy took a leap up before many thought he was ready and did well so who is to say it is too soon for Shurmur. He learned his craft under Andy Reid who many consider to be the best overall in the business.

As to your Bulldogs...
I do not want Mike Holmgren. Look at the Seahawks... and screw their Super Bowl run. That was thanks to Walter Jones and Hutchinson, and nothing more.
Harbaugh

HARBAUGH

H A R B A U G H

Holmgren is OLD, he's 62. Makes me want to take a nap just thinking about it. Please someone tell me the last time a retread head coach who last won a super bowl over 10 years ago came in to a team and won it all? I can't remember.

Harbaugh is connected to the NFL, has experience in the NFL, runs the WCO, has a brother who turned around an NFL franchise already and was not as highly touted or successful as Jim is, who has revolutionized Stanford and made them as good as they ever have been. HARBAUGH. PLZ.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Harbaugh

HARBAUGH

H A R B A U G H

Holmgren is OLD, he's 62. Makes me want to take a nap just thinking about it. Please someone tell me the last time a retread head coach who last won a super bowl over 10 years ago came in to a team and won it all? I can't remember.

Harbaugh is connected to the NFL, has experience in the NFL, runs the WCO, has a brother who turned around an NFL franchise already and was not as highly touted or successful as Jim is, who has revolutionized Stanford and made them as good as they ever have been. HARBAUGH. PLZ.

Are you crazy! Holmgren took not only one team but TWO teams to the Superbowl. Not to mention, he took the Packers twice and the Seahawks once! He is an offensive genius! He is also has a knack for finding and grooming great QB's! Joe, Steve, Favre, Hassleback and now Colt is looking pretty good and is showing a lot of potential!

Holmgren!
Holmgren!
Holmgren!

Originally posted by billbird2111:
How OLD is Holmgren now?

+1. Fire Sing, put in Johnson or whoever as interim HC, use the rest of the year to see what this team actually has. Nobody, except maybe the assistant coaches, has any idea. Then, hire and draft appropriately at the end of the year.
Holmgren is only 62 years old, he's got another 8 solid years left.

• Veteran
We can speculate about the next HC and wish for this or that guy to come and save us. However there is one big problem, the Yorkies are still around and they own the team. Everything they've touched so far has turned into sh**, what makes you guys think that they are gonna hire any one of these guys?
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
we don't have to "tank" the year, as long as we're in the bottom portion of the standings

The only thing I am interested in seeing from here on out is if Troy Smith is our future.

The irony is, if our season tanked it would be hard to feel confident that Troy is our future. If he is the future, I sure hope we win more than we lose going forward.
Holmgren is only 62 years old, he's got another 8 solid years left.

I agree, which is why I think if Holmgren IS coming (if Jed buys out his contract from Cleveland), Holmgren's going to coach 4-5 years, and work the rest of his contract out in a Bill Parcells role (planting seeds for the future).

This is what people aren't grasping, Jed will be buying out/settling a 50 Million dollar contract with Cleveland, so if Holmgren gets burn-out again, he'll be heading to a consumable front-office role (the guy will be finishing his NFL legacy with the team which took a chance on him, and he'll be working close to home).

Although it's 50/50, it would be the best case scenario for the future of this organization (specially one looking for stadium funding).

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Nov 23, 2010 at 17:19:17 ]
Holmgren was fired or removed form being the GM in Sea. He was the Head Coach when they made there run to SB. I just don't think he is a great GM. and I would rather have a younger head Coach that can run the team for next 10 yr. if they want to bring him in to help find the new Head coach and run the teams day to day operation sound much better to me.
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
For the past 4 weeks I have been asking myself "why is Gruden rumored to be going to the browns when they have holmgren already?" Then yesterday I watched a CSN Bay area video of how one reporter thinks holmgren would like to return to the bay area for coaching and it hit me. The owner of the browns must know that holmgren wants to be a HC again so he is pulling in Gruden to fill Holmgren's absence in Cleveland. Holmgren is from the Bay and I think if Jed plays his cards right we can get holmgren.

Quick Question, if you knew for sure this was going to happen would you want this season to tank before week one?

http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/video?PID=hoFAS8kCo9QmP2mDMS8vUQCFD2lfitcL

Can you or anyone show me one CREDIBLE rumor of Gruden going to Cleveland? How would Gruden being a coach fill Holmgren's absence as a President? MAKE SENSE. Is it so hard? All of the Holmgren rumors are just blind homer optimism. Holmgren is under contract. For 4 more years. Period.
Share 49ersWebzone