There are 192 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Regardless of what happens the rest of this season Alex Smith isn't getting re-signed. The team will have options to upgrade the QB position in the offseason and will get severely ridiculed in the media if it passes on those options in order to go into year 7 of the Alex Smith project.

This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense.

The offseason was spent surrounding Alex Smith with better talent; bringing back the same OC for consistency; and pumping up his confidence by singing him praises in the media about his new found swag and leadership abilities.

Despite that he has failed to lead the team. Most importantly he's failed himself in not playing well enough to secure a new contract with the team and to remain a starter in this league after this season.

When he goes I hope he takes the delusional cultists masking as Niner fans with him.

First of all, calling a sizeable percentage of Niner fans and members of this forum "delusional cultists" is offensive, unpleasant and inaccurate. Having a different opinion from you doesnt make others delusional. And claiming that such people are "masking as Niner fans" is an unpleasant and judgemental thing to say. As well as being completely wrong.

"This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense." This is total bull, a very arrogant claim without foundation.

To be charitable, I assume that you are either very young or trolling, or a PBM trying to cause trouble. Hopefully you will get warned for this post.

Regardless, there is clearly no point in discussing the team with you.

My point of contention with this thread is that it's based on the inference that Alex Smith would/should leave the team because he's been either mistreated or inadequetaly supported by the team.

It's part of a continued pattern of Alex Smith supporters who believe that his success as a player isn't based on his own abilities, but the ability of those around him. That is putting the fandom of the player before fandom of the team.

There is no objective argument that can be made that Alex Smith is worthy of a new contract, therefore his fans are delusional.

This is the NFL, Alex Smith will be judged on the standards of the league and compared to his peers.

Case in point, if an inconsistent 1st rd QB like Rex Grossman can get cut from his team despite leading them to 13-3 record and Super Bowl appearance; while having 7 games with a 100 + QB rating, one of them a perfect 148, then Alex Smith will be get the axe for not making the playoffs and playing inconsistent.

That's a reality and fact based observation.
The Niners, Smith and fans have been remarkably patient and loyal trying to make this arrangement work. If Smith has a good year and the team squeaks into the playoffs, he will be signed. Odds do not favor. Keep your eye on the trajectory of his QB rating. If it keeps getting better each year, we should probably keep him. If he plateaus in the 80s and we go 7-9, I think he's gone and we're going to do some Spring cleaning, including the coaching staff.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Let's live in my fanatasy world for a second and belive the Niners are going to string together a bunch of wins and squeak into the playoffs.

To do this you have to assume the D is great, the O-line gets better, Sing shuts up, and most importantly Alex Smith playes good to very good the rest of the year. Let's say he gets the turnovers under control, makes smart decisons, thwos for 225 yards a game and looks like a top 10-15 QB in this league. I assume the Niners offer a contract.

Would Smith even sign it at this point??

If he can prove to the rest of the NFL that he can do it, and he can get out of the mickey mouse operations and coaching that the Niners have become, don't you think he would go to greener pastures??

As much as we all complain about Smith ( I am a weary supporter), if he gets offers to go elsewhere what would keep him here?

His supportive coach? His great coaching atmosphere and innovative strategists? The great facilities? The fans that boo him for taking a drink from the wrong gatorade botttle? The media that has tossed him under the bus?

I am worried we might be seeing his last season no matter what. He either stinks and is not re-signed, or playes well and leaves to go somewhere better.

Hell of a fantasy son. But I hope I never see nor hear from him again when he does leave. He and Singletary are G-O-N-E
  • dj43
Originally posted by English:
Regardless of what happens the rest of this season Alex Smith isn't getting re-signed. The team will have options to upgrade the QB position in the offseason and will get severely ridiculed in the media if it passes on those options in order to go into year 7 of the Alex Smith project.

This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense.

The offseason was spent surrounding Alex Smith with better talent; bringing back the same OC for consistency; and pumping up his confidence by singing him praises in the media about his new found swag and leadership abilities.

Despite that he has failed to lead the team. Most importantly he's failed himself in not playing well enough to secure a new contract with the team and to remain a starter in this league after this season.

When he goes I hope he takes the delusional cultists masking as Niner fans with him.

First of all, calling a sizeable percentage of Niner fans and members of this forum "delusional cultists" is offensive, unpleasant and inaccurate. Having a different opinion from you doesnt make others delusional. And claiming that such people are "masking as Niner fans" is an unpleasant and judgemental thing to say. As well as being completely wrong.

"This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense." This is total bull, a very arrogant claim without foundation.

To be charitable, I assume that you are either very young or trolling, or a PBM trying to cause trouble. Hopefully you will get warned for this post.

Regardless, there is clearly no point in discussing the team with you.

My point of contention with this thread is that it's based on the inference that Alex Smith would/should leave the team because he's been either mistreated or inadequetaly supported by the team.

It's part of a continued pattern of Alex Smith supporters who believe that his success as a player isn't based on his own abilities, but the ability of those around him. That is putting the fandom of the player before fandom of the team.

There is no objective argument that can be made that Alex Smith is worthy of a new contract, therefore his fans are delusional.

This is the NFL, Alex Smith will be judged on the standards of the league and compared to his peers.

Case in point, if an inconsistent 1st rd QB like Rex Grossman can get cut from his team despite leading them to 13-3 record and Super Bowl appearance; while having 7 games with a 100 + QB rating, one of them a perfect 148, then Alex Smith will be get the axe for not making the playoffs and playing inconsistent.

That's a reality and fact based observation.
All true enough but based on one example.

Reality is that half the league is full of inconsistent QBs that are playing about like Alex Smith, a number of them are in situations that are much more settled than the current 49er "mess," to use John Clayton's description.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
No, they need to move on from both Alex and Singletary come season's end.
That's actually a very good question...and I'm not sure of the answer. I think it'd depend a lot whether Singletary stays or goes. If he goes, and Jed's smart enough to sign an offensive-minded head coach like Gruden, Alex should stay and my gut says he'd prosper under a coach like that. If Singletary stays, Alex is most likely outta there.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Let's live in my fanatasy world for a second and belive the Niners are going to string together a bunch of wins and squeak into the playoffs.

To do this you have to assume the D is great, the O-line gets better, Sing shuts up, and most importantly Alex Smith playes good to very good the rest of the year. Let's say he gets the turnovers under control, makes smart decisons, thwos for 225 yards a game and looks like a top 10-15 QB in this league. I assume the Niners offer a contract.

Would Smith even sign it at this point??

If he can prove to the rest of the NFL that he can do it, and he can get out of the mickey mouse operations and coaching that the Niners have become, don't you think he would go to greener pastures??

As much as we all complain about Smith ( I am a weary supporter), if he gets offers to go elsewhere what would keep him here?

His supportive coach? His great coaching atmosphere and innovative strategists? The great facilities? The fans that boo him for taking a drink from the wrong gatorade botttle? The media that has tossed him under the bus?

I am worried we might be seeing his last season no matter what. He either stinks and is not re-signed, or playes well and leaves to go somewhere better.
I bet Alex leaves , he will end up with the Vikes or cards .

I honestly believe the Vikes would give him a shot

i think a lot of teams will want him....its a shame our s**tty coaching has ruined him as our qb
He has the luxury of finding the best financial terms available and I would expect him to take that approach. If I were him, I'd bail regardless.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Keep in mind that Alex Smith tore up a lucrative contract with the 49ers so that he could remain with the team. He probably would have gotten more if the 49ers had cut him. So since he has sacrificed for the team before, I think he would fell justified walking away now. I believe he has been underpaid as a starting QB in the league these past 2 years. He doesn't owe the 49ers anything now (I think he felt that he did when he had his huge rookie contract that he didn't live up to).
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Be great if he didn't!!!

• dj43
Originally posted by fryet:
Keep in mind that Alex Smith tore up a lucrative contract with the 49ers so that he could remain with the team. He probably would have gotten more if the 49ers had cut him. So since he has sacrificed for the team before, I think he would fell justified walking away now. I believe he has been underpaid as a starting QB in the league these past 2 years. He doesn't owe the 49ers anything now (I think he felt that he did when he had his huge rookie contract that he didn't live up to).

I agree with your premise that Smith acted honorably with the 49ers. That will count for something with any future team that is interested.

Though he has not met expectations this year, or should I say hopes, he has proved himself to have recovered from injury and be able to play reasonably well when allowed to play to his strength. All of that will work to make him attractive to 12-15 other teams in the league at some level, and attractive as a starter for 5-8 other teams.

All of this will hurt the 49ers because they will get nothing in return for him and will have to rely on drafting another college QB or spending a boatload of money on a veteran on the backside of their career who may only play at a decent level for a year or two, or maybe not even that.

To that point, the injury rate on QBs demands that any team that hopes to compete into the playoffs will have to have two quality QBs who can come in and win games. You cannot rely on just one. We saw that happen Monday night when Collins came in after Young was injured.

That means that a trade for Vick or Kolb is not a likely scenario as just shown by Kolb coming in to replace Vick. Consequently, the best the 49ers could hope for is someone else's "alex smith" to replace their own Alex Smith. IOW, no great improvement in play should be expected from the FA ranks.
he should, even if they offer him a back up role
  • dj43
Originally posted by 228niner:
he should, even if they offer him a back up role

Why do you suggest that?
Alex does not need to resign. The only way I want to see him in a Niner uniform next year is if we win a superbowl or make it to the NFC champpionship game, neither of which I see occuring. I also doubt he succeeds anywhere else. He will probably get a contract similar to the one JTO recieved from the Bengals. At that point, he will show his mediocrity, ride out the remainder of that contract, then be gone from the league.

Or he may become just like all the other journeyman QB's and move to a new team each year...
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Alex does not need to resign. The only way I want to see him in a Niner uniform next year is if we win a superbowl or make it to the NFC champpionship game, neither of which I see occuring. I also doubt he succeeds anywhere else. He will probably get a contract similar to the one JTO recieved from the Bengals. At that point, he will show his mediocrity, ride out the remainder of that contract, then be gone from the league.

Or he may become just like all the other journeyman QB's and move to a new team each year...

Just like David Carr
Share 49ersWebzone