There are 170 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Shop 49ers game tickets
He would stay here, we have no QB's to compete with him, and even if we draft a QB they won't be ready for a year or so..

It's alex's job.
I think he should as well as the 49ers move on !
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Why would he? Theres nothing left here for him. He can't succeed here. It's just the way things are. He'd be wise to move on.

Good point. He's still young at 26 years old. I think he can eventually become effective in another system by the time he reaches 32.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Why would he? Theres nothing left here for him. He can't succeed here. It's just the way things are. He'd be wise to move on.

Good point. He's still young at 26 years old. I think he can eventually become effective in another system by the time he reaches 32.

lol. Whether he can succeed elsewhere is irrelevant (although I don't think he'll ever be very good), point is it just has not worked here. We all know there's a million reasons why, but its just time to go elsewhere and try again.
He'll got to Seattle next season.
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Regardless of what happens the rest of this season Alex Smith isn't getting re-signed. The team will have options to upgrade the QB position in the offseason and will get severely ridiculed in the media if it passes on those options in order to go into year 7 of the Alex Smith project.

This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense.

The offseason was spent surrounding Alex Smith with better talent; bringing back the same OC for consistency; and pumping up his confidence by singing him praises in the media about his new found swag and leadership abilities.

Despite that he has failed to lead the team. Most importantly he's failed himself in not playing well enough to secure a new contract with the team and to remain a starter in this league after this season.

When he goes I hope he takes the delusional cultists masking as Niner fans with him.

First of all, calling a sizeable percentage of Niner fans and members of this forum "delusional cultists" is offensive, unpleasant and inaccurate. Having a different opinion from you doesnt make others delusional. And claiming that such people are "masking as Niner fans" is an unpleasant and judgemental thing to say. As well as being completely wrong.

"This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense." This is total bull, a very arrogant claim without foundation.

To be charitable, I assume that you are either very young or trolling, or a PBM trying to cause trouble. Hopefully you will get warned for this post.

Regardless, there is clearly no point in discussing the team with you.
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Regardless of what happens the rest of this season Alex Smith isn't getting re-signed. The team will have options to upgrade the QB position in the offseason and will get severely ridiculed in the media if it passes on those options in order to go into year 7 of the Alex Smith project.

This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense.

The offseason was spent surrounding Alex Smith with better talent; bringing back the same OC for consistency; and pumping up his confidence by singing him praises in the media about his new found swag and leadership abilities.

Despite that he has failed to lead the team. Most importantly he's failed himself in not playing well enough to secure a new contract with the team and to remain a starter in this league after this season.

When he goes I hope he takes the delusional cultists masking as Niner fans with him.

I don't think they'll offer to resign him unless we have a miracle turnaround. Secondly even if we do...we HAVE to draft a QB or sign someone as insurance or someone who can take us to the next level. Rex Grossman "lead" the bears to the superbowl and he still lost his job. I seriously doubt Alex would be the "unquestioned" starter like he was this year.

And to answer your question..I think it would be hard for Alex to turn down an offer from a legit team with good coaches who run an actual modern NFL offense that suits his skill sets. "But then he has to learn again..." No. Good coaches will cater a playbook to what he can handle and his strengths. Look at Sam Bradford. The Rams are running a lot of the same stuff but they run what they have...really well.

Honestly it would be best for Alex to go elsewhere. Guy needs a change of scenery and we need to start over. Barring a total meltdown from Alex here on out..he could very well start for another team next year or at least be the #2 behind a shaky QB (Jags, Browns, Vikings, Raiders, Cardinals).

I predict Smith will be in a Seattle or Arizona uni next year. Maybe Oakland depending on how their coaching structure works out.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Let's live in my fanatasy world for a second and belive the Niners are going to string together a bunch of wins and squeak into the playoffs.

To do this you have to assume the D is great, the O-line gets better, Sing shuts up, and most importantly Alex Smith playes good to very good the rest of the year. Let's say he gets the turnovers under control, makes smart decisons, thwos for 225 yards a game and looks like a top 10-15 QB in this league. I assume the Niners offer a contract.

Would Smith even sign it at this point??

If he can prove to the rest of the NFL that he can do it, and he can get out of the mickey mouse operations and coaching that the Niners have become, don't you think he would go to greener pastures??

As much as we all complain about Smith ( I am a weary supporter), if he gets offers to go elsewhere what would keep him here?

His supportive coach? His great coaching atmosphere and innovative strategists? The great facilities? The fans that boo him for taking a drink from the wrong gatorade botttle? The media that has tossed him under the bus?

I am worried we might be seeing his last season no matter what. He either stinks and is not re-signed, or playes well and leaves to go somewhere better.
I bet Alex leaves , he will end up with the Vikes or cards .
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Let's live in my fanatasy world for a second and belive the Niners are going to string together a bunch of wins and squeak into the playoffs.

To do this you have to assume the D is great, the O-line gets better, Sing shuts up, and most importantly Alex Smith playes good to very good the rest of the year. Let's say he gets the turnovers under control, makes smart decisons, thwos for 225 yards a game and looks like a top 10-15 QB in this league. I assume the Niners offer a contract.

If he can prove to the rest of the NFL that he can do it, and he can get out of the mickey mouse operations and coaching that the Niners have become, don't you think he would go to greener pastures??

As much as we all complain about Smith ( I am a weary supporter), if he gets offers to go elsewhere what would keep him here?

His supportive coach? His great coaching atmosphere and innovative strategists? The great facilities? The fans that boo him for taking a drink from the wrong gatorade botttle? The media that has tossed him under the bus?

I am worried we might be seeing his last season no matter what. He either stinks and is not re-signed, or playes well and leaves to go somewhere better.
I bet Alex leaves , he will end up with the Vikes or cards .

I honestly believe the Vikes would give him a shot

Alex seems like the kind of guy who would want to play his entire career here in order to live up to his draft status. If we offer him a deal I'm sure he'd take it. But we probably won't offer him a deal unless we make the playoffs, which doesn't seem likely. And, frankly, even if we do, he would be wise to check out his options, and to see what else we do this offseason to make this team a winner.
Assuming everything you mentioned comes true, then he would be foolish not to re-sign with us. It would be consistency with OC Johnson this time in showing that through adversity of the first five game with 9 INTs and giving up a fumble/TD, he was able to turn things around. It would justify why we chose him first overall and give him (and us fans) more confidence in his performance. Because if he were to fail, we'd be back in rebuilding mode...and that's what scares me the most.
  • dj43

I have suggested on numerous occasions that if I were Alex Smith I would not stay in SF for a lot of the reasons you have noted here. The most significant of which is the fact the coaching situation in this franchise has been a mess for nearly a decade and appears to be getting worse, not better.

Only way I would stay is if a legit football GM takes over and hires Gruden or someone of similar status from an offensive background, otherwise I am gone 30 seconds after the last whistle blows on this 49er season.
If Johnson doesn't stay on as OC where's the consistancy?

I'm pretty sure anything short of the NFC championship Alex is gone one way or another.

The kid is smart. He took the pay cut knowing he wasn't all that great and he'd end up a 3 somewhere else. He knows this is his interview for next year.
  • dj43
Originally posted by fryet:
It is exactly this scenario that made me think that the 49ers needed to sign Alex to a 2 year contract this offseason. If Alex is a top-15 QB this year, then that means he would be an upgrade for half the teams in the NFL. You don't think there are other teams that would bid for a young top 15 QB on the open market? Alex would command top dollar on the open market. Alex probably would lean towards the 49ers so that he did not have to learn a new system, but they would probably end up franchising him or offering him a contract near the top 5 QB in the league. It isn't that he is that good, but that in the open market that is what a bidding war would produce.

There are a number of teams that use a system similar to what Johnson is trying to install that would be willing to bid for Smith next year.

We delude ourselves if the personnel guys on other teams do not have a very clear view of how screwed up this franchise is right now with a HC who knows little about offense yet clings to an antiquated style...and those guys see what Smith HAS been able to do in a more open style when he is allowed to pass the ball with decent protection.

We have all gotten so caught up in the love Alex/hate Alex threads that we lose a good bit of objectivity about how rotten this team has been in every area of offense since Dennis Erickson was here.

EDIT: Though Smith's current rating ranks him #27, if you take away any three of the catchable tipped passes that went for an INT he is in the mid-teens. In several other categories he is in the teens as well. His completion percentage is within one point of a mid-teen rating. Those are all things that 8-10 teams will look at and compare to their current starting guy, and Smith will look attractive to them.

Smith will have some very attractive offers.

[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 20, 2010 at 09:35:44 ]
Share 49ersWebzone