There are 245 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
No way Alex resigns with this team if Singletary is still the HC.

Singletary has proven that he will hinder any offense to the point of being ineffective, even if it means loss after loss. Look at Jimmy Raye after he was fired, there is all the proof you need. Jimmy Raye was easily the biggest Sing fan around, blindly following any and all orders. After Sing fired him, he said what we all had suspected all along. Raye was only calling the kind of game that Sing wanted, plain and simple.

It was/is Singletary's fault that the team has lost 3 games by 3 points or less
Sounds kind of familiar for some reason doesn't it? Maybe that's because the Niners are repeating history from last season, the team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. In almost every game, we saw Sing's "vision" of an offense sputter for the majority of the game. Alex is not a game manager, everyone including Sing knows that. Yet, Sing continues with his "vision" even as the loses rack up.

If you were Alex, would you resign with this team if Sing was still in charge? No way in hell......

I agree with your points, but there is NO way Sing is back next year. Even if they made the playoffs, it would be because they ditched his philosophy somewhere and started playing modern football. Jed York has to realize by now that Singletary-ball is the antithesis of what the 9ers stand for.

Minnesota, the Skins and even San Diego are in this mix. I say San Diego cause Norv is a good friend of Smith's and I think Rivers is done in San Diego. He's got worse mechanics than Smith does and Norv knows Alex can run his Offense.

~Ceadder

This might be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. C'mon man.

Do tell. I'm interested to see how this is dumber than anything you post.

~Ceadder

Rivers is done in San Diego? lol, that's their franchise QB.
I would like to hear from those who live in San Diego area. There seems to be a sentiment down there that the chemistry between Rivers and his teammates has gone sour. He is very out-spoken, to the point that some teammates have turned him off.

The point is that there is no way anyone (sports analyst, fan, etc.) could justify an "upgrade" for Smith over Rivers. Rivers has a proven track record. He's taken his team to the playoffs, not to mention bring them into playoff contention during a losing season. Those things alone make him better than Smith, even if you're a Smith supporter.

[ Edited by ZRF80 on Oct 21, 2010 at 11:50:06 ]
  • ZRF80
***double post

[ Edited by ZRF80 on Oct 21, 2010 at 11:49:45 ]
If the niners get Gruden Alex would resign!
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by SY9er8:

Gruden wouldnt even give Smith a chance.

Alex's reign here is ova'........
Originally posted by ZRF80:

I disagree re: Gruden. Gruden was high on Smith coming out, and I have never heard that his position has changed. If Gruden comes in, Smith is more likely to stay than if, e.g., Cowher came in, IMO.

I DO agree with what you posted above re: Rivers. Rivers > Smith by a country mile. Even though dude is a douche.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

I disagree re: Gruden. Gruden was high on Smith coming out, and I have never heard that his position has changed. If Gruden comes in, Smith is more likely to stay than if, e.g., Cowher came in, IMO.

I DO agree with what you posted above re: Rivers. Rivers > Smith by a country mile. Even though dude is a douche.

Gruden ain't no fool, he would dump Smith asap.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Gruden prefers proven guys over half asses like Smith. He once described Smith as "streaky", and said that he expected more from him than he has shown.

With that said, Gruden has primarily had success with guys like Favre, Gannon, Johnson, and even gave Garcia the starting spot in TB after Simms went down with an injury. He has zero tolerance for inconsistent players.

There's no way he gives Smith a shot in SF......

Singletary has proven that he will hinder any offense to the point of being ineffective, even if it means loss after loss. Look at Jimmy Raye after he was fired, there is all the proof you need. Jimmy Raye was easily the biggest Sing fan around, blindly following any and all orders. After Sing fired him, he said what we all had suspected all along. Raye was only calling the kind of game that Sing wanted, plain and simple.

Sounds kind of familiar for some reason doesn't it? Maybe that's because the Niners are repeating history from last season, the team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. In almost every game, we saw Sing's "vision" of an offense sputter for the majority of the game. Alex is not a game manager, everyone including Sing knows that. Yet, Sing continues with his "vision" even as the loses rack up.

If you were Alex, would you resign with this team if Sing was still in charge? No way in hell......

I agree with your points, but there is NO way Sing is back next year. Even if they made the playoffs, it would be because they ditched his philosophy somewhere and started playing modern football. Jed York has to realize by now that Singletary-ball is the antithesis of what the 9ers stand for.

Minnesota, the Skins and even San Diego are in this mix. I say San Diego cause Norv is a good friend of Smith's and I think Rivers is done in San Diego. He's got worse mechanics than Smith does and Norv knows Alex can run his Offense.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

I would like to hear from those who live in San Diego area. There seems to be a sentiment down there that the chemistry between Rivers and his teammates has gone sour. He is very out-spoken, to the point that some teammates have turned him off.

The point is that there is no way anyone (sports analyst, fan, etc.) could justify an "upgrade" for Smith over Rivers. Rivers has a proven track record. He's taken his team to the playoffs, not to mention bring them into playoff contention during a losing season. Those things alone make him better than Smith, even if you're a Smith supporter.

Agreed. Rivers is the guy in San Diego. It's delusional to think Rivers is "out" and Smith could be "in." That's just ridiculous.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Let's live in my fanatasy world for a second and belive the Niners are going to string together a bunch of wins and squeak into the playoffs.

To do this you have to assume the D is great, the O-line gets better, Sing shuts up, and most importantly Alex Smith playes good to very good the rest of the year. Let's say he gets the turnovers under control, makes smart decisons, thwos for 225 yards a game and looks like a top 10-15 QB in this league. I assume the Niners offer a contract.

Would Smith even sign it at this point??

That's quite the fantasy.

Alex Smith has never been anything above mediocre and, after 6 years, it's pretty obvious that's all he'll ever be. He can play good to very good for a game or two, but then he plays like trash for a game or two and so on and so forth. I don't think he should be offered a contract unless he all-of-a-sudden becomes a GOOD QB for the rest of the year, but even then, they need to look for a better, more consistent solution for the future. When I say good, I mean GOOD, not average to decent like he was last year, but GOOD. We all know that won't happen, though, not even in fantasy land.

That being said, the 49ers don't need him to play like a "good to very good" QB, he just needs to be average and not kill potential scoring drives for this team to win games. People will find reasons to take the blame away from him, but in the end, QB is the single most important position and with better QB play, we'd have 3-4 wins instead of 1. I understand other parts of the team contributed to the losses, but the point is, like I said, better QB play would have won us some of those games despite all the other sh*t that happened to us.

To answer the question, yes, he would sign. No other team in the NFL would have put up with him all these years and that's the truth. Any of the 31 other teams would have moved on a couple years ago regardless of all the excuses made for Alex's ineffectiveness. We're the only team that would continue to give him these opportunities, which helps explain our ineptitude.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Rivers is a top-10 QB. Alex Smith has been a bottom-5 starter.

LMAO @ thinking the Chargers would consider Smith over Rivers.

By all means, I hope it happens and Rivers comes here so we finally have a good QB.

"Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered?? "

Alex Smith will be happy to be employed at all.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I'm contributing, but I can't believe this thread is still alive. Alex is what he is. Give it up with the hopes that the "light" will come on and he'll finally start to realize his "potential." If he wasn't the #1 overall pick of his draft class he'd be an afterthought. He will be gone along with Singletary's ass come the end of the season barring a miracle or stupidity from the Yorks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Alex Smith will be happy to be employed at all.
From the obvious mismanagement of Smith by Nolan and the bungling of Singleterry and Jimmy Raye, Smith has been in the wrong offense. He's a spread QB and when he runs the spread he does fairly well. Our problem game after game is we run pound and ground until we're desperate then switch to the spread to try and catch up.

If I was his agent (and I am also a very weary Smith supporter) I would suggest him moving to a spread offense team like New England or Indy where he can sit behind a starter and learn the offense for a couple of years. Given the right system I still believe he can be a good NFL quarterback.
Share 49ersWebzone