LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ace49ers:
On the Rivers and Norv is done in bolt city? I agree that Norv is on his last legs. I know a few bolt fans who know a few more bolt fans, and they have had enough of Norv. They want to find a way they can package Merriman and Norv together and flash them out. They are sick of Norv. Probably as sick as most fans are about Sing.

I still (somewhere in me otherwise I wouldnt say it) believe that Sing can turn it around. That he has to let go a bit of the reins, listen to the players and roll with it. Sing is intelligent enough to figure this out. Hes not a person that likes to give up to chance, his nature is to know everything thats about to happen before it happens. So theres a lot of micromanage type of control coaching going on.

Look at the Giant and their super bowl journey. Tom Coughlin had to chill a bit and listen to his players. Only then did they chime in on the same note. I believe Sing and the team can do this to.

Sing needs to cool it down it will be a different kinda party but he may 'like this kinda party' and could be there 'all day baby'. And the team needs to execute the plays because we have enough talent on the field on both sides of the ball to do so.

I'd swap Sing for Norv.
  • dj43
Originally posted by AKfanster:
No way Alex resigns with this team if Singletary is still the HC.

Singletary has proven that he will hinder any offense to the point of being ineffective, even if it means loss after loss. Look at Jimmy Raye after he was fired, there is all the proof you need. Jimmy Raye was easily the biggest Sing fan around, blindly following any and all orders. After Sing fired him, he said what we all had suspected all along. Raye was only calling the kind of game that Sing wanted, plain and simple.

It was/is Singletary's fault that the team has lost 3 games by 3 points or less
Sounds kind of familiar for some reason doesn't it? Maybe that's because the Niners are repeating history from last season, the team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. In almost every game, we saw Sing's "vision" of an offense sputter for the majority of the game. Alex is not a game manager, everyone including Sing knows that. Yet, Sing continues with his "vision" even as the loses rack up.

If you were Alex, would you resign with this team if Sing was still in charge? No way in hell......
Singletary NOT being the coach next year should be a foregone conclusion. His emotional outbursts alone should be such an embarrassment to Jed that he would want to replace him.

Also, so many observers have commented on the importance of having an offensive-minded HC in today's NFL that it would be hard to imagine Jed not realizing that should be the #1 goal of the off-season...and to get it done within 10 days of the end of the season.
  • dj43
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Singletary has proven that he will hinder any offense to the point of being ineffective, even if it means loss after loss. Look at Jimmy Raye after he was fired, there is all the proof you need. Jimmy Raye was easily the biggest Sing fan around, blindly following any and all orders. After Sing fired him, he said what we all had suspected all along. Raye was only calling the kind of game that Sing wanted, plain and simple.

Sounds kind of familiar for some reason doesn't it? Maybe that's because the Niners are repeating history from last season, the team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. In almost every game, we saw Sing's "vision" of an offense sputter for the majority of the game. Alex is not a game manager, everyone including Sing knows that. Yet, Sing continues with his "vision" even as the loses rack up.

If you were Alex, would you resign with this team if Sing was still in charge? No way in hell......

I agree with your points, but there is NO way Sing is back next year. Even if they made the playoffs, it would be because they ditched his philosophy somewhere and started playing modern football. Jed York has to realize by now that Singletary-ball is the antithesis of what the 9ers stand for.

Minnesota, the Skins and even San Diego are in this mix. I say San Diego cause Norv is a good friend of Smith's and I think Rivers is done in San Diego. He's got worse mechanics than Smith does and Norv knows Alex can run his Offense.

~Ceadder

This might be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. C'mon man.

Do tell. I'm interested to see how this is dumber than anything you post.

~Ceadder

Rivers is done in San Diego? lol, that's their franchise QB.
I would like to hear from those who live in San Diego area. There seems to be a sentiment down there that the chemistry between Rivers and his teammates has gone sour. He is very out-spoken, to the point that some teammates have turned him off.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by valrod33:
SF, Buffalo, Jacksonville are the only places where he could compete as a starter

Carolina, Oakland

I think oakland is good with Gradkowski/Campbell

Yah Gradknowski is better then Smith.

Yah, but Campbell is worse. That proves Smith is starter material.
Just watch . . . if Smith becomes available AT LEAST 32 teams will be scrapping for his services! GUARANTEED.

Yah as a back up.

So you think so!?
If Smith's season ended today, he could be signed as a backup on many teams that are desperate for one.

If Smith somehow turns this ship around for the playoffs he could be looked at as a starter in very few teams depending on how good his numbers are.
  • dj43
Two players on the offense that would love to see Norv back in San Fran would be Smith and Gore. They had their best seasons under Norv I believe

Hmmm now this is a scenario I hadn't given much thought about. But I don't see Sing going anywhere at the moment. So the only way i see Norv back with the team is if it's as an OC. I don't see anyone else offering him a contract on the heels of a bad season in San Diego, when he had a Playoff caliber team and couldn't take them to the Super Bowl.

The loss of LT just magnified things a bit.

~Ceadder
LT now excelling with the Jets has been a very bitter pill for SD fans. It has also suggested that Turner made a big mistake.

Turner has now proven his is a much better OC than HC. He is a lot like Dan Henning. Henning realized his limitations as a HC and has now focused on offense. His innovations have been widely imitated around the league but without his refinements. Perhaps Turner should take a lesson from him.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Since you don't believe me binary...

San Diego's current record...

San Diego 2-4-0 .333

A.J. Smith is chomping at the bit right now I imagine.

Rivers current stats...

220 attempts/ 137 completions/ 2,008 yds/ 12 TD/ 5 INT/ 4 Fumbles.

Smith's current stats...

223 attempts/ 134 completions/ 1,425 yds/ 8 TD/ 9 INT/ 3 Fumbles.

Their numbers are only different because the Bolts arguably have better Receivers than we do. But they are not so different that Rivers looks like a diamond compared to Smith. Yards are better cause Rivers Receivers get YAC. Ours rarely do.

Rivers has hit his ceiling and Smith hasn't hit his. People here keep selling the guy short. And to be honest I don't blame people for questioning the guy but Norv got quite a bit from the guy in his 1st year in the system. Can you see a better fit for Alex than San Diego? I can't. Oh he would do pretty good in Minnesota, but I could see this scenario working out if Rivers has any time left on his contract, they trade Rivers to Minnesota and Smith gets picked up by the Boltz.

If this happens, San Diego will get some protection for him and they'll spend a high pick on some more talent as well. They aren't as far out of it as people think they are.

It's Super Bowl or Bust for Rivers. Eli Manning got a Super Bowl for the Giants in his 5th year. Rivers keeps going nowhere.

~Ceadder

Rivers has hit his ceiling but Smith has not?
-Smith's ceiling is mediocre. I do not understand how you do not see that. Good QB's make plays when nothing is there, which Smith rarely, if ever does.

Bolts would take Smith instead of Rivers?
-Wow! That is about all I can say. Based on what? Smith's career numbers are basura (below average). Smith is not a good QB. What has he done this year? last year? years prior to even make you think he may ever be decent?

Like I said, you must be related to the guy or know him well, but it is obvious that you do not see the overall stinkage of our QB.

They kept Rivers instead of Brees after Brees had a hell of a Season. I'm no fan of AJ Smith, but he did capitalize on the success of Brees. I believe that if he can get something for Rivers and he has a QB that is deemed at least equal by the HC whose system is important to success, their GM would pull the trigger on the deal.

Especially when you look at what he gave up in LT and now Merriman. Both Franchise Players that were important to the success of their team in the Playoffs.

Oh and also he wouldn't have to endure the growing pains of the QB and can get him on the cheap?

Yeah I know huh the man would have to be a moron to do that.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by dj43:
Two players on the offense that would love to see Norv back in San Fran would be Smith and Gore. They had their best seasons under Norv I believe

Hmmm now this is a scenario I hadn't given much thought about. But I don't see Sing going anywhere at the moment. So the only way i see Norv back with the team is if it's as an OC. I don't see anyone else offering him a contract on the heels of a bad season in San Diego, when he had a Playoff caliber team and couldn't take them to the Super Bowl.

The loss of LT just magnified things a bit.

~Ceadder
LT now excelling with the Jets has been a very bitter pill for SD fans. It has also suggested that Turner made a big mistake.

Turner has now proven his is a much better OC than HC. He is a lot like Dan Henning. Henning realized his limitations as a HC and has now focused on offense. His innovations have been widely imitated around the league but without his refinements. Perhaps Turner should take a lesson from him.

I agree. But I think that Turner is as much a scapegoat there as Smith is here, since Smith made the decision to walk away from LT. That Line is DEFINITELY getting retooled this Offseason.

~Ceadder

I agree with your points, but there is NO way Sing is back next year. Even if they made the playoffs, it would be because they ditched his philosophy somewhere and started playing modern football. Jed York has to realize by now that Singletary-ball is the antithesis of what the 9ers stand for.

Minnesota, the Skins and even San Diego are in this mix. I say San Diego cause Norv is a good friend of Smith's and I think Rivers is done in San Diego. He's got worse mechanics than Smith does and Norv knows Alex can run his Offense.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

I would like to hear from those who live in San Diego area. There seems to be a sentiment down there that the chemistry between Rivers and his teammates has gone sour. He is very out-spoken, to the point that some teammates have turned him off.

I live in SD and nothing could be further from the truth. The feeling down here is the Chargers are having a LOT of issues on ST's. They are without David Binn and they let Kasim Osgood get away in the off season. They have given up 3-4 td's on special teams alone. Rivers was on pace to pass the single season passing yd record, that without having Vincent Jackson. Also, they are having some O-line issues but they just got back Marcus McNeil. So despite what CEADDER or whoever thinks that Rivers is done in SD its NOT even close to happening.

[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Oct 21, 2010 at 09:12:44 ]
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

San Diego 2-4-0 .333

Rivers current stats...

Smith's current stats...

Their numbers are only different because the Bolts arguably have better Receivers than we do. But they are not so different that Rivers looks like a diamond compared to Smith. Yards are better cause Rivers Receivers get YAC. Ours rarely do.

Rivers has hit his ceiling and Smith hasn't hit his. People here keep selling the guy short. And to be honest I don't blame people for questioning the guy but Norv got quite a bit from the guy in his 1st year in the system. Can you see a better fit for Alex than San Diego? I can't. Oh he would do pretty good in Minnesota, but I could see this scenario working out if Rivers has any time left on his contract, they trade Rivers to Minnesota and Smith gets picked up by the Boltz.

If this happens, San Diego will get some protection for him and they'll spend a high pick on some more talent as well. They aren't as far out of it as people think they are.

It's Super Bowl or Bust for Rivers. Eli Manning got a Super Bowl for the Giants in his 5th year. Rivers keeps going nowhere.

~Ceadder

THIS IS THE WORST POST EVERRRRR!!!! Dude you gotta stop ridin' Smiths jock! You have lost ANY and ALL credibilty concerning this guy!

Ceadder argues his case with logic. You have the freedom to agree or disagree. Your argument, on the other hand, consists of oh lord smileys.

Flawed "logic" doesn't deserve a long drawn out post. it gets what it deserves, oh lords and smileys.

lol@ the thought of SD giving up one of the top 6 QBs in the league for Alex Smith, what a way to kill your credibility. I'm being patient with Smith, I think he can be successful in a spread style Offense, but that is simply ridiculous.

Singletary NOT being the coach next year should be a foregone conclusion. His emotional outbursts alone should be such an embarrassment to Jed that he would want to replace him.

Also, so many observers have commented on the importance of having an offensive-minded HC in today's NFL that it would be hard to imagine Jed not realizing that should be the #1 goal of the off-season...and to get it done within 10 days of the end of the season.

But you're gonna get the same on the flip side of the scenario with an Offensive HC in a lot of cases. It's rare to have a Bill Walsh type of HC that defers to the DC. Though let's call it straight up, Coach Walsh was pretty ironfisted about how he wanted things run, but he had someone that he could confide in that he knew wouldn't soft pitch criticism. I firmly believe this is what Sing needs.

In this era of Football with everything being so specialized you won't find anyone that can handle all aspects of the team 24/7. Delegation is the key. Walsh understood this to some degree. When he gave McKittrick the Line, he told McKittrick how he expected things to be run, kept an eye on him and when he felt confident that our Line Coach knew what he was doing let go of the reigns. the Results you know.

I think that Sing is trying hard to do this but we're mistake prone it's his ass on the Line so he's not ready to let go of the reigns. He has with Manusky though. He's got confidence in Manusky.

Last year it took the players going to Sing to get the Offense to change. I don't believe that Sing is sitting there with a bullwhip ready to punch somebody's ticket if they approach him about the Offense. But I do believe that the Captains must get together and say something if they haven't already.

Sing has shown a willingness to change in the past, I do not see him ignoring his players. The man does understand Xs' and Os'. I know this from his playing days. I just think that he's trying to give his Coaches some anonymity and the ability to do their jobs. He just might have to step in somewhat though. Mike Johnson is on a short learning curve and I have to admit that his play calling is light years better than Raye's. He's just not all the way there yet.

Oh as far as Raye goes... much is being made of what he said(paraphrasing here) "I just did what he wanted"...

Well Sing wanted Smashmouth. That's true. We all heard it and there is no denying it. But Did Sing REALLY tell him to run primarily Draws? Is Frank's learning disability so bad that that's all he understands? I know for a fact that Raye did not send in Run plays over half the game plan. So does Raye expect ME to believe that Sing was so adamant to Running the ball that he only wanted Draw plays?

I rarely saw Frank run a Counter Pitch or Swing Play. I saw him run a Counter this year that was SO successful that the Defense bit on it attacked the Line and Frank got 10 free yards on the play. And only ONE time. Yet our Successful() draw plays we ran over and over again? Is Sing Lazy? Did he honestly tell Raye to "Run it again"?

I know some of you all think that Raye was a scapegoat and I don't blame you for feeling this way. But I just do not see Sing doing that.

Sing does make rookie mistakes. This I have not a single doubt in my mind. But I think that Raye has OCD or something. I have it. I am OCD. I straight up admit it. But even I would not run the same damned play over and over again. Raye went to the well too many times and it became a hinderance. He earned his firing as far as I am concerned.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by valrod33:
SF, Buffalo, Jacksonville are the only places where he could compete as a starter

Carolina, Oakland

I think oakland is good with Gradkowski/Campbell

Yah Gradknowski is better then Smith.

Yah, but Campbell is worse. That proves Smith is starter material.
Just watch . . . if Smith becomes available AT LEAST 32 teams will be scrapping for his services! GUARANTEED.

Yah as a back up.

there will be a team that will pick him up to be a starter. There is at least 5-8 teams that would sign him to be a starter.

Are you serious Dog?????????? Can't be.. You must be his cousin...
Originally posted by English:

San Diego 2-4-0 .333

Rivers current stats...

Smith's current stats...

~Ceadder

THIS IS THE WORST POST EVERRRRR!!!! Dude you gotta stop ridin' Smiths jock! You have lost ANY and ALL credibilty concerning this guy!

Ceadder argues his case with logic. You have the freedom to agree or disagree. Your argument, on the other hand, consists of oh lord smileys.

Flawed "logic" doesn't deserve a long drawn out post. it gets what it deserves, oh lords and smileys.

Prove to me with reason and LOGIC that it is flawed.

How many years has Rivers had as a Starter?

His mechanics are good or bad or mechanics don't mean a damned thing in the grand scheme of his career?

Oh and how bout that Line? Think a mobile Smith would be better than an immobile Rivers or worse?

And finally isn't it widely accepted that Smith's "best statistical year" (I don't think it is but whatever) in '06 due to Norvel's influence and Offense?

Oh hold up spoke too soon for finally...

Hasn't Smith gotten BETTER as a QB in each HEALTHY season he's played for this team?

Okay now prove that my stance is ridiculous. You don't wish to believe that Smith is valuable to anyone. And you seem to believe that Rivers is indispensable to San Diego. Please tell me what Rivers has done in the weak AFC West that warrants respect over what Smith has yet to achieve on this crappy team. I do not believe this team is crap but let's face it we all know we overachieved the last few years. But it's Smith's fault our Seasons end when they do right? I mean JT O'Sullivan, injuries and a crappy OLine had absolutely nothing to do with our fortunes right?

So please Prove your case.

~Ceadder
  • dj43

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

I live in SD and nothing could be further from the truth. The feeling down here is the Chargers are having a LOT of issues on ST's. They are without David Binn and they let Kasim Osgood get away in the off season. They have given up 3-4 td's on special teams alone. Rivers was on pace to pass the single season passing yd record, that without having Vincent Jackson. Also, they are having some O-line issues but they just got back Marcus McNeil. So despite what CEADDER or whoever thinks that Rivers is done in SD its NOT even close to happening.
I agree STs are the biggest issue with their W/L record. My question was to the point that some of Rivers' offensive teammates have become tired of his sharp tongue and tuned him out. Of particular note was blaming teammates for not holding blocks when Rivers had held the ball too long or receivers not coming back for underthrown balls, and the like. IOW, blaming others while not taking account for his own mistakes.

What have you heard in those areas?
Share 49ersWebzone