LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith even re-sign if offered??

Shop 49ers game tickets
Since you don't believe me binary...

San Diego's current record...

San Diego 2-4-0 .333

A.J. Smith is chomping at the bit right now I imagine.

Rivers current stats...

220 attempts/ 137 completions/ 2,008 yds/ 12 TD/ 5 INT/ 4 Fumbles.

Smith's current stats...

223 attempts/ 134 completions/ 1,425 yds/ 8 TD/ 9 INT/ 3 Fumbles.

Their numbers are only different because the Bolts arguably have better Receivers than we do. But they are not so different that Rivers looks like a diamond compared to Smith. Yards are better cause Rivers Receivers get YAC. Ours rarely do.

Rivers has hit his ceiling and Smith hasn't hit his. People here keep selling the guy short. And to be honest I don't blame people for questioning the guy but Norv got quite a bit from the guy in his 1st year in the system. Can you see a better fit for Alex than San Diego? I can't. Oh he would do pretty good in Minnesota, but I could see this scenario working out if Rivers has any time left on his contract, they trade Rivers to Minnesota and Smith gets picked up by the Boltz.

If this happens, San Diego will get some protection for him and they'll spend a high pick on some more talent as well. They aren't as far out of it as people think they are.

It's Super Bowl or Bust for Rivers. Eli Manning got a Super Bowl for the Giants in his 5th year. Rivers keeps going nowhere.

~Ceadder
On the Rivers and Norv is done in bolt city? I agree that Norv is on his last legs. I know a few bolt fans who know a few more bolt fans, and they have had enough of Norv. They want to find a way they can package Merriman and Norv together and flash them out. They are sick of Norv. Probably as sick as most fans are about Sing.

I still (somewhere in me otherwise I wouldnt say it) believe that Sing can turn it around. That he has to let go a bit of the reins, listen to the players and roll with it. Sing is intelligent enough to figure this out. Hes not a person that likes to give up to chance, his nature is to know everything thats about to happen before it happens. So theres a lot of micromanage type of control coaching going on.

Look at the Giant and their super bowl journey. Tom Coughlin had to chill a bit and listen to his players. Only then did they chime in on the same note. I believe Sing and the team can do this to.

Sing needs to cool it down it will be a different kinda party but he may 'like this kinda party' and could be there 'all day baby'. And the team needs to execute the plays because we have enough talent on the field on both sides of the ball to do so.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

If this happens, San Diego will get some protection for him and they'll spend a high pick on some more talent as well. They aren't as far out of it as people think they are.

It's Super Bowl or Bust for Rivers. Eli Manning got a Super Bowl for the Giants in his 5th year. Rivers keeps going nowhere.

~Ceadder

I can see this happening, well played.
If I were Smith, no way I would come back unless Sing was gone and Mike kept control of the offense. He really needs a "no Sing" clause in his contract.

Funny scenario, Smith does not resign with the team and the labor dispute cancels next season.

We get another season of scab football, with Smith as our starting QB, (insert names of every hated current/recent 49er to also be added to the team).

Smith takes us to the "replacements" superbowl and everyone will be either happy or pissed off.

The supporters can say he won a superbowl and the haters can be happy he's off the real team.
Two players on the offense that would love to see Norv back in San Fran would be Smith and Gore. They had their best seasons under Norv I believe
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Two players on the offense that would love to see Norv back in San Fran would be Smith and Gore. They had their best seasons under Norv I believe

Hmmm now this is a scenario I hadn't given much thought about. But I don't see Sing going anywhere at the moment. So the only way i see Norv back with the team is if it's as an OC. I don't see anyone else offering him a contract on the heels of a bad season in San Diego, when he had a Playoff caliber team and couldn't take them to the Super Bowl.

The loss of LT just magnified things a bit.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 21, 2010 at 05:08:55 ]
Sing still HC and Norv for OC next year. Looks good to me.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Sing still HC and Norv for OC next year. Looks good to me.

I'd rather have Norv for head coach outside of us winning the Superbowl this season. You have to think, Norv lost the starting LOT, WR a couple of hold outs too.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by fryet:
A bone for the Alex detractors. This thread assumes that Alex proves that he is a top 15 QB. If the season were to end today, it would not take that much money to resign him (he would get multiple offers, though). Alex potentially can be top 15 (he has been before statistically), but he has an uphill climb at this point.

Personally, I think the 49er Front Office has done a poor job planning for the future. They could have signed Alex Smith to a reasonable 2 year deal this offseason, and ensured that he would remain with the team - IF they wanted him. As it stands now, if he does well, they are going to have to overpay to keep him on the team.

Staying to a one year deal only saves them money if he fails. And you shouldn't plan for your future expecting your starting QB to fail.

Resigning Alex Smith would cause the 49ers to lose much of its fanbase.

It would be good riddance in most cases.

Exactly right. They wouldn't be much of fans to begin with, if that's all it takes. See ya!

I wish they would just leave now

You heard the boos at the stick, you heard the "we want Carr" chants. I'm sure the owner heard those as well.

No way he is asked to come back.

and those boos and chants were unwarranted as Smith was actually having a good game. But I guess if Smith doesn't throw for 5TD's+ a game then he sucks. Yea he is inconsistent, but so is the OLine play.

As TO once said, "If it walks like a duck, smells like a duck....."

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that your view on Alex Smith is accurate, whereas the 95% of Niner fans that think he's a bust are ignorant and dont know football.

We've seen enough of him. You obviously havent. You can take the bus with him to his next team.

• ZRF80
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
No way Alex resigns with this team if Singletary is still the HC.

Singletary has proven that he will hinder any offense to the point of being ineffective, even if it means loss after loss. Look at Jimmy Raye after he was fired, there is all the proof you need. Jimmy Raye was easily the biggest Sing fan around, blindly following any and all orders. After Sing fired him, he said what we all had suspected all along. Raye was only calling the kind of game that Sing wanted, plain and simple.

It was/is Singletary's fault that the team has lost 3 games by 3 points or less
Sounds kind of familiar for some reason doesn't it? Maybe that's because the Niners are repeating history from last season, the team lost 6 games by 7 points or less. In almost every game, we saw Sing's "vision" of an offense sputter for the majority of the game. Alex is not a game manager, everyone including Sing knows that. Yet, Sing continues with his "vision" even as the loses rack up.

If you were Alex, would you resign with this team if Sing was still in charge? No way in hell......

I agree with your points, but there is NO way Sing is back next year. Even if they made the playoffs, it would be because they ditched his philosophy somewhere and started playing modern football. Jed York has to realize by now that Singletary-ball is the antithesis of what the 9ers stand for.

Minnesota, the Skins and even San Diego are in this mix. I say San Diego cause Norv is a good friend of Smith's and I think Rivers is done in San Diego. He's got worse mechanics than Smith does and Norv knows Alex can run his Offense.

~Ceadder

This might be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. C'mon man.

Do tell. I'm interested to see how this is dumber than anything you post.

~Ceadder

Ceadder, even pro-Smith fans think your posts are comical. Give it up dude. You have a serious man crush on Smith. San Diego...really ? Cause Smith would be an upgrade over Rivers ?

Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Regardless of what happens the rest of this season Alex Smith isn't getting re-signed. The team will have options to upgrade the QB position in the offseason and will get severely ridiculed in the media if it passes on those options in order to go into year 7 of the Alex Smith project.

This thread shows that some posters aren't really fans of the team, but fans of an underdog player who occupies the most important position on offense.

The offseason was spent surrounding Alex Smith with better talent; bringing back the same OC for consistency; and pumping up his confidence by singing him praises in the media about his new found swag and leadership abilities.

Despite that he has failed to lead the team. Most importantly he's failed himself in not playing well enough to secure a new contract with the team and to remain a starter in this league after this season.

When he goes I hope he takes the delusional cultists masking as Niner fans with him.

HELL YES! This is EXACTLY what needs to happen!!

San Diego 2-4-0 .333

Rivers current stats...

Smith's current stats...

Their numbers are only different because the Bolts arguably have better Receivers than we do. But they are not so different that Rivers looks like a diamond compared to Smith. Yards are better cause Rivers Receivers get YAC. Ours rarely do.

Rivers has hit his ceiling and Smith hasn't hit his. People here keep selling the guy short. And to be honest I don't blame people for questioning the guy but Norv got quite a bit from the guy in his 1st year in the system. Can you see a better fit for Alex than San Diego? I can't. Oh he would do pretty good in Minnesota, but I could see this scenario working out if Rivers has any time left on his contract, they trade Rivers to Minnesota and Smith gets picked up by the Boltz.

~Ceadder

THIS IS THE WORST POST EVERRRRR!!!! Dude you gotta stop ridin' Smiths jock! You have lost ANY and ALL credibilty concerning this guy!

San Diego 2-4-0 .333

Rivers current stats...

Smith's current stats...

~Ceadder

Rivers has hit his ceiling but Smith has not?
-Smith's ceiling is mediocre. I do not understand how you do not see that. Good QB's make plays when nothing is there, which Smith rarely, if ever does.

Bolts would take Smith instead of Rivers?
-Wow! That is about all I can say. Based on what? Smith's career numbers are basura (below average). Smith is not a good QB. What has he done this year? last year? years prior to even make you think he may ever be decent?

Like I said, you must be related to the guy or know him well, but it is obvious that you do not see the overall stinkage of our QB.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

San Diego 2-4-0 .333

Rivers current stats...

Smith's current stats...

~Ceadder

THIS IS THE WORST POST EVERRRRR!!!! Dude you gotta stop ridin' Smiths jock! You have lost ANY and ALL credibilty concerning this guy!

Ceadder argues his case with logic. You have the freedom to agree or disagree. Your argument, on the other hand, consists of oh lord smileys.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Yes, especially if Jon Gruden is named head coach. Gruden really likes Smith's tools, and is just the type of guy who could raise his game to another level. I think Smith would be thrilled to have Gruden take over, especially on a team that has a fair amount of talent.

The Niners are not far from making a major playoff run. They simply need someone who knows what they are doing to take over.

Thank you. That is the only HC candidate that has enough offensive credibility to entice Smith to stay. I have no idea what Gruden thinks of the organization but he is one coach that could change the culture around here.

Rumors floating around that the Cleveland Browns are more enticing because of his relationship with Holmgren (re Gruden returning to head coaching).

That would make sense, although I can't see Smith too excited about playing in the Dawg Pound. Those frigid days on the edge of the lake are not fun.

No fricken way! There is no way that we should bring back Smith if we bring in a new coach. We dont have time for him to learn another offense, not to mention the WCO is probably the worst possible system for a QB with accuracy issues (see missed pass to Gore raider game & Moran)
1. More coaches run an offense similar to the digital system the 49ers now use.

2. The only offense in the league that is still close to the Walsh offense is the one Andy Reid runs in Philly. The rest of the so-called WCOs are more like the one Mike Shanahan runs. Shanahan's offense differs little in the passing game from what Turner installed here with some of the modifications that Johnson is attempting to add, which Smith seems to be handling very well. The big difference with Shanahan is his excellent adoption of zone blocking which has created numerous 1,000 yard rushers as well as providing better pass protection for QBs than man blocking. An offense similar to Shanahan's version would be very good for both Gore and Smith.

3. What another coach may think of Smith will be more important than what fans think. The one thing that has escaped some here is that the rest of the league realizes what a train wreck this franchise has become, and that Smith has been the whipping boy for it. They recognize that Smith's play this year in a miserably conservative, anti-passing offense has been roughly the same as 15 other QBs in this league. Hence, they do not judge him nearly as harshly as fans here who have been spoiled by 22 years of Montana, Young and Garcia excellence. Consequently, Smith will be viewed more favorably by a new coach who understands the problems and how to fix them.
Share 49ersWebzone