LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 134 users in the forums

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Watching the Jets game last night made me think:

What about Brian Schottenheimer? He's been getting HC looks for years but just hasn't made it yet. He's a great offensive mind, and could work wonders with the talent we have on offense. I imagine if he got the gig, he'd want to bring Bill Callahan along as O-coord (and probably O-line coach as well).

Thoughts?
Originally posted by babyjesus:
The last two coaches we had were assistants who have never been head coaches before. When Singletary is fired after the season the Jed York can't go after yet another assistant as a head coach. No way. There is now a stadium on the line. In this economy you can't expect a city to fork over millions and millions of dollars for a stadium when the team that's gonna be playing there is contempt with mediocrity.

York needs to go for broke on the next head coach. Only way to do that is with a guy who's been to the promised land before. Someone with a ring. Yes it will cost a lot of money to get a guy with that type of resume but you think Jed will hesitate in doing so after he forked over contracts to Vernon and P Willy? I don’t think so.

John Gruden is a guy who started off in the NFL as a coach with the niners. He took over the Bucs who were a talented yet underachieving team (sound familiar) and made them into super bowl champions. He is a beach and sun type of guy. The only other team out there that I think would interest him as much as the niners is the dolphins. But when you factor in the talent each team has at skill positions and the division each team is in the niners come out looking like the more attractive option.

Other than Gruden I don’t see anyone else out there at all. Harbaugh at Stanford is intriguing. No Chucky. But intriguing nonetheless. Who else out there you guys like?

Gruden was unable to find a QB for years, and his attempts (Josh Johnson, Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski, etc) have been pathetic. I like Gruden, but he's been a mediocre coach for the last half a decade.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by AkNiners:
Urban Meyer, and not because of the alex smith connection. The guy is a mastermind. York should throw 10 million a year at him and let him build his own staff, excluding Jerry sullivan of course. Meyer has owned all of college ball and will destroy the NFL.

No.

Yeh! "No" is the way to go! Lets dismiss the brilliant, innovative coach who understands both offenses and defenses. Lets not even consider him...
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Urban Meyer, and not because of the alex smith connection. The guy is a mastermind. York should throw 10 million a year at him and let him build his own staff, excluding Jerry sullivan of course. Meyer has owned all of college ball and will destroy the NFL.

No.

Yeh! "No" is the way to go! Lets dismiss the brilliant, innovative coach who understands both offenses and defenses. Lets not even consider him...

Meyer is one of the greatest college coaches of all time, no doubt. However...

1. There are certain NFL coaches who know the other teams: players / strengths / weaknesses / plays / tendencies / coaches / etc. Meyer, to my knowledge, knows none of these things. He's spent his entire life studying the college game. I'm sure he could tell you a tremendous amount off the top of his head about SEC defensive coodinators (what they like to do defensively) but in that regard he's a novice at the NFL level.

2. Didn't he essentially quit coaching and had to be begging Brett Farve style by Florida to return? He cited health problems and has indeed been hospitalized while at Florida for issues. Possible red flag anyone?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

No.

Meyer is one of the greatest college coaches of all time, no doubt. However...

1. There are certain NFL coaches who know the other teams: players / strengths / weaknesses / plays / tendencies / coaches / etc. Meyer, to my knowledge, knows none of these things. He's spent his entire life studying the college game. I'm sure he could tell you a tremendous amount off the top of his head about SEC defensive coodinators (what they like to do defensively) but in that regard he's a novice at the NFL level.

2. Didn't he essentially quit coaching and had to be begging Brett Farve style by Florida to return? He cited health problems and has indeed been hospitalized while at Florida for issues. Possible red flag anyone?

Yeah he was hospitalized, but I'm pretty sure it was legitimate health problems. He's back to winning bowl games this year. As to the first point, I think Meyer is smart enough to sort out the NFL game pretty quick, it's just like moving to a new conference. Meyer's done that twice and still boasts the best winning percentage of any college coach in the game today.

I think meyer could bring some real innovation to the NFL game, I know it wouldn't be boring
Voted for Gruden but im not really sure, one coach no one ever mentions and i think he could be good is Mike Heimerdinge,r OC for the Titans, forever they have had average talent on offense and time and time again they are productive, Harbaugh is an interesting option too. The thing i dont like about Gruden is that he doesnt develop young talent, he always goes with veterans. I dont like that road, if we can have him just Coach and let Baalke choose the players, that would be awesome.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=147441
President of football Operations: Billick or Dungy

HC: Gruden

all 3 are a part of the Bill Walsh tree
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Definitely Gruden. Im guessing our season is down the tank. Tell Gruden this:

You're basically gonna get either Andrew Luck or Jake Locker, meaning, you're gonna get a Franchise QB. Throw in some playmakers with the other picks and we are good to go. All we need is a well coached team and with this division we should dominate.

Luck:
"I don’t think about [the NFL Draft] that much," the redshirt sophomore said on KNBR. "I still consider myself a pretty young guy. I need to get a degree in college before I start thinking about that stuff. I will probably stay in school for sure."

and locker is s**t. he will be a bust. mark my words.

that being said, I would still take harbaugh over chucky. get a vet qb, draft for a qb in 3rd round and lower. address pass rush first and foremost.

Luck says that now, but maybe when an agent says he will get $40M Guaranteed he may change his mind

Possibility of a rookie cap makes that unlikely. But if we get Harbaugh... maybe Luck's thought process changes and he decides he can get his degree from Stanford while playing in SF and not having to deal with a no name coach at Stanford after Jim leaves.

i dont have a big knowledge about the coaches (watching football since 08) but what about:
-Marty Mornhinweg (eagles OC and assistant HC)
-Bill Callahan
-Mike Mularkey (falcons OC)
-Brian Billick

all from the walsh tree and offensive-minded (and not so bad as some other guys from the same tree).

-Jason Garrett (gayboys OC).
You know what would actually be a pretty badass idea?

Marty Mornhinweg coming here next season and bringing Kevin Kolb with him (ala Holmgren and Hasslebeck with the Seahawks).

-Hire Marty Mornhinweg
-Trade a 3rd round pick for Kolb (Andy will give buddy-buddy discount to Marty).
-Trade Frank Gore + 4th round pick to the Patriots for their first round pick + Logan Mankins + 5th round pick).
-Acquire Joseph Addai from FA (would be a very WCO-friendly RB).
-Re-structure Nate Clements' contract, and trade him for a 3rd/4th.
-Trade down second; 1st round pick for more 2nd/3rd/4th round picks.
-Use the first; 1st round pick to draft Luck/New QB that won't start until 2013.
-Use bundled picks to move up/down and draft/trade for skilled role-players (CB/DE/DT).

Oh, and to the (why draft a QB if we're already getting Kolb) strategy, it's a move Bill Walsh would make. You ALWAYS want a backup plan at QB (somebody to develop at #2) even whilst your star QB is shining.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 13, 2010 at 02:26:43 ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Marty Mornhinweg coming here next season and bringing Kevin Kolb with him (ala Holmgren and Hasslebeck with the Seahawks).

-Hire Marty Mornhinweg
-Trade a 3rd round pick for Kolb (Andy will give buddy-buddy discount to Marty).
-Trade Frank Gore + 4th round pick to the Patriots for their first round pick + Logan Mankins + 5th round pick).
-Use the first; 1st round pick to draft Luck/New QB that won't start until 2013.
-Use bundled picks to move up/down and draft/trade for skilled role-players (CB/DE/DT).

Dang! You put some thought into that

-Hire Marty Mornhinweg

Oh, and to the (why draft a QB if we're already getting Kolb) strategy, it's a move Bill Walsh would make. You ALWAYS want a backup plan at QB (somebody to develop at #2) even whilst your star QB is shining.

Frank Gore isn't worth a 1st and Logan Mankins
Originally posted by teeohh:

-Hire Marty Mornhinweg

Frank Gore isn't worth a 1st and Logan Mankins

I think he did all this in madden.
Share 49ersWebzone