There are 178 users in the forums

Jimmy Raye Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Jimmy Raye calling plays from memory?
Dam jimmy Raye is old and senile. What ever happen to that picture of him that someone made in photoshop as a teenage mutant ninja turtle?

Whos more senile Jimmy Raye or al davis?

[ Edited by iamtheman698 on Sep 14, 2010 at 23:11:06 ]
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Wow. This is pretty troubling to say the least.

That said, it still doesn't excuse good ol' fashion execution by Alex and co.

It's not an excuse but if you watched Philip Rivers implode last night when plays did not get in on time, then you begin to understand that even one of the elite QBs in the league has problems with these situations. As players were not lining up in the correct location and time was getting short, he became obviously irritated and his passes we too low on five or six cases. He completely came unglued. Trent Dilfer was the color guy and he mentioned how the problems he was having with plays and players not going where they should on routes were getting him out of his rhythm and he was losing his poise.

Every QB needs to get into a rhythm, and that rhythm is set by the OC with the plays called. I am not a Smith fan but the magnitude of the difficulty under which he has been working has now been fully exposed.

I won't respond to Smith comments...this is all about coaches.

Yes Alex has a lot to deal with. More than what he really should. But, playmakers make plays despite of the situation which is what set them apart from system guys. Alex is not shown himself to be a very good playmaker at this point and must rely upon the system that is obviously not functional. You should have never menioned Alex if you could not accept a response.

Haven't we discussed Smith enough? This thread is about how coaches influence the play of players on the field. I cited the Philip Rivers example of what that looks like in the game and you insist on taking that back to Alex Smith. We don't need to do that again. OK? Go back and re-read my comments about the SD/KC game, or better yet, watch it if you recorded it. It was a train wreck.

You are missing my point here. You can't seperate the two here because Smith; to his own demise; relies too heavily on the system. He needs to take ownership of the offense and not rely on Raye's criss-cross communications or Sing's eavesdropping to determine his success. He can call his own play now. He is the starting QB. If he does not take ownership now; his career will be shortened.

So Alex Smith is the offensive coordinator as well as the quarterback? If the quarterback was supposed to call his own plays than why even bother having an OC. What the quarterback does is change the protections and modify the call based on the positions of the defense, not create his won play-call on top of that!

Not even the great Peyton Manning who is really one-of-a-kind in his mastery of the offense doesn't call his won plays- he is given a few options that he picks between based off of protections. And yes, the Rivers example is very relevant considering he is an elite pro-bowl playoff winning quarterback and even he has trouble when the play-calls come in slowly.

Alex Smith is apparently under this stress all the time, not just in a few key times a game. How is he supposed to get the protections set up and modify the call when he gets the call ludicrously late.

Again, I'm not trying to make that a blanket excuse for the reason he did not play very well, but this issue definitely compounded his problems. Let's hope for the sake of our season that Singletary and Raye can get this issue straightened out.

For someone with Singletary's limitations, picking an excellent coaching staff to cover for him is of paramount importance, and he has failed miserably.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
next year. New OC, new QB. That's all this team is missing!

I think Sing's gotta go too. We need a HC that is an X's and O's guy. It takes more than fundamentals and motivation in the league these days. You need to be creative and out-scheme you opponent. I don't think Sing and Raye are up to the task. The more I think about it, the more I want Gruden. He would bring back the WCO and a little bit of a tie to the glory years.

I completely agree. This motivating crap is garbage. We need an offensive minded head coach. If I'm Jed, I'm callin Gruden and askin him to sit tight.

He gets out schemed and out coached in every game. And we take 3 timeouts every half just because we can't get the plays. Make no mistake this is not a well coached team.

i feel bad for Jed, it ultimately falls on him. There were plenty of offensive minded coaches availabe after nolan got fired.

Singletary got the job because of how the team performed when he took over. Many of us probably would have blasted him if he didn't hire Sing. Damn you shaun hill!

But you're right it does fall on Jed. The man said our seasons wouldn't end in december anymore! It's only been one game, we can still win the division, I wonder if that's enough for Sing to keep his job though,,,,that's a topic for another thread though

This is not a division winner or a playoff team. They can't even get the plays in.

Singletary did well as a coach with Martz as his OC, since Martz is a very gifted (if not eccentric) offensive mind. If he has someone there that knows what they are doing, and not a senile old man who can't even pronounce his own plays correctly I think he would do a lot better as a HC. And I know it's tempting right now in the emotional after-torrent of sunday's loss to rip on Singletary, but don't undervalue his motivational skills. They definitely are valuable skills to have as a HC.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Majority of you will hop back on Singletary's bandwagon if we win Monday night. Some of you guys are over-reacting over a loss and I have no doubt some of you will over-react after a win. Niner Talk ftw
Originally posted by contrarios:
I knew it was the offensive coaching staff all along. Jon Gruden will be in town on Monday. Jed, talk to the man!

This is who we should have hired in the first place.

Does anyone think that Singletary has a shred of Gruden's strategic ability?

The Yorks are too f**king cheap to hire a real coach. This has been a problem since they took over. Erickson was cheap. Nolan was cheap and took two jobs in one. Now Singletary, who didn't sniff a HC spot before we went with him because of his ra-ra bulls**t and his low salary demands.

None of it makes sense, because they haven't been cheap about players. Why be cheap about coaches? Pay the f**king four million a year for Gruden you a*****es!
Originally posted by niner_empire:
from bill walsh to this...how the mighty have fallen.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oregondave:
I knew it was the offensive coaching staff all along. Jon Gruden will be in town on Monday. Jed, talk to the man!

The Yorks are too f**king cheap to hire a real coach. This has been a problem since they took over. Erickson was cheap. Nolan was cheap and took two jobs in one. Now Singletary, who didn't sniff a HC spot before we went with him because of his ra-ra bulls**t and his low salary demands.

None of it makes sense, because they haven't been cheap about players. Why be cheap about coaches? Pay the f**king four million a year for Gruden you a*****es!

Do you realize how much money we gave away by firing Erickson? Your post makes no sense.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Do you realize how much money we gave away by firing Erickson? Your post makes no sense.

I said they're cheap not totally retarded. Who the f**k would have kept him?

My post makes no sense? Nice to meet you pot.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for oregondave.

btw, why don't you tell me smart guy?

How about detailing exactly how much he made annually and comparing it with the rest of the league? I'll say off the top of my head that he was one of the 10 most poorly paid coaches in the NFL.
Majority of you will hop back on Singletary's bandwagon if we win Monday night. Some of you guys are over-reacting over a loss and I have no doubt some of you will over-react after a win. Niner Talk ftw

I will only jump off Singletary's bandwagon if he can't find a solution to this.

I don't know if you guys remember but raye was like fourth on the list of OCs whenhe hired him.

They need to fix this problem asap, I can't stand seeing the team look like they belong on a NFL follies video.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I said they're cheap not totally retarded. Who the f**k would have kept him?

My post makes no sense? Nice to meet you pot.

You post makes no sense because Erickson was getting made close to 2.5 million a year back in 2002 and was fired with 3 years left. That's not cheap by any standard.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

I will only jump off Singletary's bandwagon if he can't find a solution to this.

How long should it take a HC in the NFL to figure out that this is happening? When Singletary was told about this from the players how did he respond? He replaced the middleman with Mike Johnson. We already know that Sing couldn't find a solution.

If Sing takes further action it will only be because the public now knows about Raye's screw ups. If Sing does take action now then it begs the question- why did it take a reporter breaking the story for Sing to do anything about it?

Not me. Its going to take more than one game to change the impressions I have of him as a coach.

I will never jump off the niners band wagon though.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

btw, why don't you tell me smart guy?

How about detailing exactly how much he made annually and comparing it with the rest of the league? I'll say off the top of my head that he was one of the 10 most poorly paid coaches in the NFL.

I'm not going to look up the salaries of all the nfl coaches in 2002 - but 2.5 million a year is a pretty decent salary even for today's time.

Redskins have thrown plenty of money at their coaches - Yeah, I'm impressed how many times they have won the division.
Share 49ersWebzone