LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 223 users in the forums

Footbal terminology help thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
While we are at it, what is a Tampa-2?

Is there a Tampta 1?

Tampa 2 is a variation of Cover 2 defense. Cover 2 has been around forever and traditionally has two deep zone safeties with short to mid zones assigned to CB's & LB's.

Bill Walsh picked traditional Cover 2 defenses apart by constantly attacking the deep seems between the two safeties or the gaps between a safety & CB.

The "Tampa 2" means the MLB plays a deeper drop to cover the seem between the two safeties, which allows them to shift slightly outside to close the seem with the CB's on their side. This deeper drop is sometimes called "Cover 3" as well.

The deeper MLB drop also shifted the OLB responsibilities slightly which made a "Tampa 2" team play differently from a "Cover 2" team. Even though both play essentially the same system otherwise.

So you could say Bill Walsh inspired the Tampa 2.
I know were talking football terminology, but I was wondering why is a double play in baseball called a 6-4-3?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Fincham11:
I know were talking football terminology, but I was wondering why is a double play in baseball called a 6-4-3?

every position is assigned a number

6-4-3 double play is shortstop to second to first
Originally posted by crzy:

Thanks crzy, that had been buggin' me for awhile
What does "giving him the business" mean?

Is there a Tampta 1?

It's your basic cover 2 scheme. Though in the Tampa 2 your middle linebacker is asked to drop further back in coverage. So it's basically just a friggin cover 2.
Originally posted by WestCoast:

Is there a Tampta 1?

It's your basic cover 2 scheme. Though in the Tampa 2 your middle linebacker is asked to drop further back in coverage. So it's basically just a friggin cover 2.

Its more about the Safetys covering half of the field each and allowing the CB's to press and blanket the WR's.
Bubble Screen?

How does a wide receiver screen differ from a bubble screen? I guess what I'm asking is...what makes a screen a bubble screen?
Originally posted by RedRazor:
Bubble Screen?

How does a wide receiver screen differ from a bubble screen? I guess what I'm asking is...what makes a screen a bubble screen?

Bubble screen is a screen to the widest player so it's essentially the same as a WR screen to the outside receiver.

Here's a really cool article about screens with some animated demos...

linky

[ Edited by ghostrider on Aug 5, 2010 at 11:42:59 ]
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:

Thanks crzy, that had been buggin' me for awhile

And 5-4-3 is third base to second to first.

Originally posted by valrod33:
I still dont know what the f**k this means

the pitt tight end who ate jason pierre paul's lunch
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=141237&highlight=lunch

lol
Share 49ersWebzone