There are 207 users in the forums

Three-Day Draft Here to Stay...

Shop 49ers game tickets
Unfortunately.. unlike I had hoped, the ratings rocketed upward for the draft rather than plummeted. According to the following, it appears we are doomed for a 3-day draft from now on. I am not a fan of the format at all.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817bb639&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Quote:

Prime-time NFL draft draws 30 percent hike in TV ratings

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The overnight ratings for the first NFL draft in prime time were up 30 percent from last year.

The overnight rating for the first round of the draft, held Thursday night at Radio City Music Hall, was a combined 6.42. Coverage of last year's draft started at 4 p.m. on a Saturday.

ESPN had a 5.47 rating, and NFL Network posted 0.95. The overnight rating was 55 percent higher than the 2008 NFL Draft.

The ratings, which measured 56 markets, represent the percentage of all households with televisions tuned into a program.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/28/goodell-new-draft-format-likely-here-to-stay/

Quote:
Commissioner Roger Goodell sat down with NFL Network host Rich Eisen for an exclusive interview on Wednesday’s NFL Total Access.

During the discussion, Goodell talked about the new draft format and acknowledged that, “I’d be hard-pressed to think we won’t go with the two-night primetime start, and the three-day draft.”

Goodell also spoke about the possibility of holding the draft in other cities aside from New York.

“It’s on the table,” Goodell said.

Other topics covered include the possibility of the new postseason overtime rule being adopted for the regular season, player safety concerns and more.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

lol
I liked the new format.

As for different cities. Hmm maybe the host of the SB could host the draft as well.

[ Edited by kingairta on Apr 30, 2010 at 11:11:36 ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
It was ok this year cause we had 2 first rounder. Only 1 pick day 1? Lame. 2009 draft was the best format
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
I liked this year's format so yay
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Eh, I don't mind this format, 1 round on day 1 is enough but I don't care for the Thursday night start time. Hard to plan a get together for that.
Originally posted by Esco:
Eh, I don't mind this format, 1 round on day 1 is enough but I don't care for the Thursday night start time. Hard to plan a get together for that.

This. It was a weekend thing. And they broke it.

why is it hard to get together? leave work -> go to bar -> meet friends -> watch...now is that so hard? i did it every day of the draft this year
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by valrod33:

lol
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

They need a later start for the west coast audience.

Originally posted by susweel:

They need a later start for the west coast audience.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Also they need to stop super geek Jason La Confora from announcing the picks before the commissioner announces them. Also stop showing the players on the phone before the picks are announced, they need to make the commissioner announcement more dramatic.
Also they need to stop super geek Jason La Confora from announcing the picks before the commissioner announces them. Also stop showing the players on the phone before the picks are announced, they need to make the commissioner announcement more dramatic.

This.

I'm a fan of the new draft format, but think it'd get better ratings on Fri-Sat-Sun instead.

I agree, I'd like that as well. I like the suspense of the picks.

-9fA
Originally posted by valrod33:

lol
Share 49ersWebzone