LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Vernon Gholston- Top 3 Bust all time?

Shop 49ers game tickets
When talking all time busts, the list tends to turn towards QB's but I've got to say this guy has played himself down to the level of a Ryan Leaf.
No way a bust has to set a franchise back, not just be a bad player so too three is still leaf , Jamarcuss and ales smith
Originally posted by 9er_84:
No way a bust has to set a franchise back, not just be a bad player so too three is still leaf , Jamarcuss and ales smith

how do I respond here? ales smith? Jamarcuss? really? How old are you? did you graduate HS? and if so where?
Yes.. he's been horrible for the Jets. I(and most Jets fans) disliked the pick from the beginning. He's gained some weight and will try to rejuvenate his career as a 3-4 DE instead of OLB where he was out of position completely. He's' a strong guy and i believe the move will actually make him decent.

But yes, no matter what he does in his new position or how well he plays he'll always be considered a bust because of where he was drafted. He was drafted as a pass-rusher and he's disappointed big time.
an example of looks like tarzan plays like jane
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:
Yes.. he's been horrible for the Jets. I(and most Jets fans) disliked the pick from the beginning. He's gained some weight and will try to rejuvenate his career as a 3-4 DE instead of OLB where he was out of position completely. He's' a strong guy and i believe the move will actually make him decent.

But yes, no matter what he does in his new position or how well he plays he'll always be considered a bust because of where he was drafted. He was drafted as a pass-rusher and he's disappointed big time.

It was a shame... Everyone knew he was too stiff and not fluent enough to play OLB even in the 3-4. Had he been drafted as a DE in a 4-3, things probably would have worked out better for him.
there r bunch of dudes that get drafted where he do nd dont make it ... i would say no ... jafatcus up there tho ...

i would rank tim couch or rick mirer ahead of smith
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Not even close. He does not fit with the Jets scheme and could still rejuvenate his career with a 4-3 team. If he had been the number 1 pick then you could possibly put him at three but Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell are both miles ahead of him on the bust list.
If I was him I'd try and split to a 4-3 team.

No way he's even in the top 20, let alone top 3 busts of all time...

I agree, he's a bust, but was he suppose to revolutionize the position? Take the Jets to the Superbowl? Become the next HOF OLB/DE, ala Taylor?

The only ppl to blame are the Jets organization for drafting for need and picking him waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high for only his "potential", especially after his showing in the BCS bowls and against Jake Long (pwned).

Now, if he played Youngstown State 16 games a year then he'd be the best of all time
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by crabman82:

i would rank tim couch or rick mirer ahead of smith

I would add akili smith

Bosworth
As for our own busts, I'd put Isreal Ifeanyi up there.
He's played 2 years... he still has a chance to salvage his career. I think he's in the wrong system.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
As for our own busts, I'd put Isreal Ifeanyi up there.

Well, he was a second rounder. You have to consider Druckenmiller, Woods, McGrew and so on first.
Share 49ersWebzone