There are 167 users in the forums

Alex Smith survives to sling another year

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by zillabeast:
It's a copycat league.

Recent history gives us Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, and Mark Sanchez all leading their club to the playoffs in their rookie seasons. Two of them end up a mere game away from the Super Bowl. A kid named Jimmy Clausen is causing all kinds of ruckus today, and word on the street is that 49ers management just might be inclined to make a move to aquire him. Or is it all just a smokescreen?

Recent history gives us Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, and Drew Brees all making huge impacts in new cities almost immediately upon arrival. A certain Ben something-something is being dangled out there tonight. Is he on the same HoF level as those other three? No, but his championship experience is sort of thing you just can't coach a guy.

...and hell, there's always Tim Tebow.

Going to be a real interesting 24 hours starting right about now. We should brace ourselves for just about anything.

fail
Not really a fail.
If we gave up alot for Ben.......that would've sucked.

Niners did the best scenario.

Now, this is the do or die year for Smith. No more excuses now.

double fail
  • dj43
As much as anything, yesterday's picks should tell us that both the front office AND the coaching staff are SERIOUS when they say Alex Smith, with now a full quiver of weapons for the first time in his career, is the guy who will take this team into the playoffs. If there had been any doubt about Smith at all, with Anthony Davis in the bag already, they would have taken Clausen at 17.
Originally posted by dj43:
As much as anything, yesterday's picks should tell us that both the front office AND the coaching staff are SERIOUS when they say Alex Smith, with now a full quiver of weapons for the first time in his career, is the guy who will take this team into the playoffs. If there had been any doubt about Smith at all, with Anthony Davis in the bag already, they would have taken Clausen at 17.

well I think they are serving 2 purposes.

1. Yes, committing to an Alex Smith for 2010, and giving him a fighting chance
2. Setting themselves up for an ideal situation where they can shop for a new OCQB coach who will hopefully see the value in a young line, Solari, Gore, Crab, Davis....and 2011 draft dedicated to picking a QB. Enough of a value to join, draft a QB, hitch your wagon to his and STICK AROUND awhile

I don't think this PROVES they have faith in Alex. I think it proves they know how to setup an environment for any QB to have a chance. It proves they knew they could pick a QB every year if they wanted but it would all fail until they had an offseason like this.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Alex is gonna kill it next season
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by King49er:
who knows maybe niners select clausen @ 49?
Originally posted by battletowin:
who knows maybe niners select clausen @ 49?

Originally posted by 49erWill:
Alex is gonna kill someone next season

that made me laugh
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by nothing03:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
aw geez. you hear that... now Iron Man can't sleep anymore......... f**ken raptisberger

Now Imma have nightmares but instead of the king it will be rapersburgers face..

i will stop laughing at some point tonight. nice.

It's only just begunnnnnnnnnnnnn................
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I'd be shocked.

Actually, if it happens tonight, I won't see it. I'll be asleep. So I won't be shocked or not shocked. But I don't think there'll be any movement on the QB front tonight or tomorrow. Or, really, until this time next year.
now were stuck with another year of 'lets see ho alex does this year' i swear he's not only horrible his presence is wasting away the talent level of gore, davis, clements, harris, lewis and many of our talented vets. year after year and all we hope for is his mediocre play...and he cant even deliver that most of the time.
Originally posted by 9er_84:
now were stuck with another year of 'lets see ho alex does this year' i swear he's not only horrible his presence is wasting away the talent level of gore, davis, clements, harris, lewis and many of our talented vets. year after year and all we hope for is his mediocre play...and he cant even deliver that most of the time.

Share 49ersWebzone