LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Three way trade -- Eagles get LB Ernie Sims, Lions get TE Tony Scheffler

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Sims struggled last year in a new system and posted only 40 tackles in 10 games.

I agree that he didn't fit in Detroit and it was a good idea to move him but for home town TE Scheffler and a 7th

And I agree with you, not for Scheffler. They could have talked to Oakland for Morrison straight up, New Orleans in a package for Jammal Brown, or possibly for a conditional draft pick in 2011.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5113415

Shefter makes some good points:

1. Scheffler is a receiving TE while Pettigrew is more of a blocking TE.

2. Sims didn't fit the scheme AND he is in the last year of his contract and they didn't feel like they could re-sign him.

I think Denver is better off with a 5th rounder vs keeping Scheffler and a 7th because he has been a distraction ever since the Cutler fiasco.

There is always more to the story.....
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MrOrange:

2. Sims didn't fit the scheme AND he is in the last year of his contract and they didn't feel like they could re-sign him.

I think Denver is better off with a 5th rounder vs keeping Scheffler and a 7th because he has been a distraction ever since the Cutler fiasco.

Lions drafted a blocking TE in the first round?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Sims struggled last year in a new system and posted only 40 tackles in 10 games.

I agree that he didn't fit in Detroit and it was a good idea to move him but for home town TE Scheffler and a 7th

And I agree with you, not for Scheffler. They could have talked to Oakland for Morrison straight up, New Orleans in a package for Jammal Brown, or possibly for a conditional draft pick in 2011.

I didn't realize Sims struggles in their new defense. However they should have gotten something different than Scheffler
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

That was known though. Part of the thinking at the time was that he would help block to cover up some of the deficiencies on the o-line, plus he added some receiving skills.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

That was known though. Part of the thinking at the time was that he would help block to cover up some of the deficiencies on the o-line, plus he added some receiving skills.

I thought Pettigrew was meant to be a good catching TE. It's insanity to take a TE for his blocking skills in the 1st round

I thought Pettigrew was meant to be a good catching TE. It's insanity to take a TE for his blocking skills in the 1st round

I think there is upside in that department with him given his immense size for a TE plus his athleticism
  • evil
  • Veteran

He was drafted because he is a 2 way TE, and a 3 down type of player, one who can block and catch. He is a natural pass catcher with good hands and was a good blocking end as well at Oklahoma State.

If they needed a blocking TE they could have gotten one later on, but his abilities as a pass catching TE and not just as a blocker is what had him go 20th.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
2 TE sets may be a necessity if they aren't going to draft Okung with their first round pick.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
WOW worst 1st round picks in a row ever

overall

3rd Joey ballgame
2nd Charles Rogers
7th Roy Williams
10th Mike Williams
9th Ernie Sims

5 top 10 picks not one is still with the team

• Shifty
  • Veteran

overall

3rd Joey ballgame
2nd Charles Rogers
7th Roy Williams
10th Mike Williams
9th Ernie Sims

I'm kinda surprised they still have fans

Thats disgusting, since Michael Oher was available for them to protect Stafford with.

overall

3rd Joey ballgame
2nd Charles Rogers
7th Roy Williams
10th Mike Williams
9th Ernie Sims

I'm kinda surprised they still have fans

If teams like the Pittsburgh Pirates, Kansas City Royals, and LA Clippers still have fans, then don't be so surprised that the Lions have fans. You don't recognize them because they usually have bags on their heads.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Apr 19, 2010 at 11:08 AM ]

overall

3rd Joey ballgame
2nd Charles Rogers
7th Roy Williams
10th Mike Williams
9th Ernie Sims

LOL...it's Joey Blueskies bra.

Cornbread!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Thats disgusting, since Michael Oher was available for them to protect Stafford with.

Pretty much, i remember being shocked when they didnt take Oher. I also thought they would take James Laurinitus (spelling?) in the 2nd round. Giving them a LB trio of Ernie Sims, Laurinitus and Julian Peterson. Oh well.
Share 49ersWebzone