LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Rich Gannon says Gruden could be our future

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by luv49rs:
doesn't Gruden have a bad rep for not getting along with QBs? i don't want another nolan-smith situation

No actually Gruden likes QBs. That's why he always had 10 or so around. I remember at one time I thought Gruden was going to run an all QB offense, if he could find a few Lorenzens to play the O-Line.

Gruden was a QB coach before he was a head coach. if anything i seem to remember Gruden getting along with his QBs more than anyone else on the team.

but Rich Gannon doesnt know what hes talking about. Smith was Nolan's guy, not Sings. Sing is just rolling with Smith because hes the best guy we got right now. just a former Raider trying to help promote his ex coach to another job.

expect to see Singletary coaching this team at very least through 2011. i think weve finally learned out lesson from what comes out of making changes every single season.
Originally posted by teeohh:
You know I have to agree, if Singletary doesn't take us to the playoffs next year he needs to go.

exactly! ok so in his 1st full yr 8-8 best record we had since 02. anything lower than 8 wins its obvious we regressed and with gruden and possibly cowher even though i dont think he'll come to west unless the yorks LMFAO pay him good money, its time to change. if singletary gets canned i think we'll be the 1st job coaches would come looking for due to the talent already established on this team.
Why so we can have 10 quarterbacks on our roster?
Getting a new HC points straight to getting away from Alex Smith. That is why 2010 is vital. If we win or lose in spite of the QB, then Sing better get a new QB and New OC or he's out.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by Super5:
One year at a time please....

I know I know but just something to ponder when we go on our annual 4+game losing streak.

All the 49ers need are a couple more pieces on both sides of the ball along with continuity.If they draft/fa correctly then I truly believe there will be as your name says,better days.
One thing I'm optimistic about is Sing identifies the positions that need to be upgraded.

Go Niners
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
As much as I like Gruden and his connections with the 49ers, I wouldn't want him here or any HC right now. Another HC means starting all over again on both sides of the ball. Our defense has been our strength of the team so far and if another HC comes in, I'd be afraid that he would want to switch back to the 4-3, unless of course we hire Bill Cowher.
Gruden treats his players and staff like garbage.

I thought that was well documented?

[ Edited by TonyStarks on Jan 6, 2010 at 23:36:57 ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Getting a new HC points straight to getting away from Alex Smith. That is why 2010 is vital. If we win or lose in spite of the QB, then Sing better get a new QB and New OC or he's out.

No, he's out. The new HC can bring in his OC and qb. If Sing doesn't take us to the playoffs I'll be calling for his head!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Gruden and Smith would be a TERRIBLE combination, IMO.

Gruden is known for having an extremely complicated and detailed playbook. Given Smith's need to master the playbook to be comfortable ("non-functional," and all that jazz), learning Gruden's playbook could take YEARS. Further, Davis' learning disability may also slow his playbook learning curve given the large volume of information at issue.

Are you f**king kidding me? You are advocating to not implement Gruden's playbook simply because our QBs may not be able to digest the material - specifically a 5th round QB that has been on the field 0% of the time this season?

These guys are at the NFL level. If they are unable to acclimate to the environment, then they don't belong in the NFL.
if we dont make the playoffs

Originally posted by teeohh:

No, he's out. The new HC can bring in his OC and qb. If Sing doesn't take us to the playoffs I'll be calling for his head!

This is why it is better to hire a HC who knows both sides of the ball enough to dictate what happens or hire an OC as a head coach.

With Nolan and Sing, both will be owned by any OC that came in and if they bring in a top OC, well, that OC will be gone quick looking for a HC job or he will take over Sing's job.
I doubt very much that Singletary and Smith are glued at the hip. I would think that Singletary, over the past 2 years, has shown he is willing to go with a QB until that QB has shown he isn't up for the job. JDT, Hill, and If Smith can't show improvement over the course of the offseason with the same HC and OC on the job, then I am positive the Singletary will move on to the next QB. Whether that QB is a draft choice, FA or Nate Davis makes no difference to Singletary. If Alex isn't ready then He will move.

I also doubt whether Gruden wants to re-enter the 20 hour day crowd in the HC ranks. I am guessing at this but I think he loves the game and truly enjoys seeing all the different games that MNF has. He can do his HC thing in the booth without the responsibility of gameplaning.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
To early for that. Give Sing one more year.
Gruden doesn't hold true to his words. Well, that was a lot that was said of him in Tampa. I don't think he can follow Singletary's footsteps in that respect category.

That would really suck if AS ends up killing two coaches' careers. Smith would need psychological help.

^^ you ^^

Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Gruden and Smith would be a TERRIBLE combination, IMO.

Gruden is known for having an extremely complicated and detailed playbook. Given Smith's need to master the playbook to be comfortable ("non-functional," and all that jazz), learning Gruden's playbook could take YEARS. Further, Davis' learning disability may also slow his playbook learning curve given the large volume of information at issue.

Are you f**king kidding me? You are advocating to not implement Gruden's playbook simply because our QBs may not be able to digest the material - specifically a 5th round QB that has been on the field 0% of the time this season?

These guys are at the NFL level. If they are unable to acclimate to the environment, then they don't belong in the NFL.

No, I am not kidding and I referenced both a first round and a fifth round QB.

Gruden + either Smith OR Davis = disaster. That was my only point. You may have read more into it.

[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Jan 7, 2010 at 21:47:24 ]
Share 49ersWebzone