LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Rich Gannon says Gruden could be our future

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm an avid listener to Sirius NFL radio and now that the season is over you hear Niner fans calling in asking every host from every show the usual questions at this time of year

-What position should the Niners draft for?

-Is Alex Smith the answer at QB?

-What areas do we need to improve on ?

Well on more than one time I have heard Rich Gannon who does the Sirius Blitz with Adam Schein in the morning say that Singletary and Smith are connected at the hip and if Smith fails next season and we don't make the playoffs Singletary will be out. So who replaces him?

He keeps saying that he knows Jon Gruden would take the job. I don't know if he has any inside info but he has stated many times in the year that he still talks to Gruden since their Oakland days. Take it for what it's worth

I think Gruden would be perfect for Smith if we kept Smith longer than 2010.
One year at a time please....

• luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
doesn't Gruden have a bad rep for not getting along with QBs? i don't want another nolan-smith situation
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by luv49rs:
doesn't Gruden have a bad rep for not getting along with QBs? i don't want another nolan-smith situation

I think Gruden really likes Smith for all I've heard and read

No actually Gruden likes QBs. That's why he always had 10 or so around. I remember at one time I thought Gruden was going to run an all QB offense, if he could find a few Lorenzens to play the O-Line.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

No actually Gruden likes QBs. That's why he always had 10 or so around. I remember at one time I thought Gruden was going to run an all QB offense, if he could find a few Lorenzens to play the O-Line.

Well he had to have 10 to equal one! Tampa had some awful QB play.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

"He likes to date, but not to marry" - Jeff Garcia regarding Gruden & quarterbacks.

IMO that is how a head coach should be. Out with the old, and in with the new if someone isn't cutting it. Otherwise you go down with the ship, & get fired.
Originally posted by Super5:

I know I know but just something to ponder when we go on our annual 4+game losing streak.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by Super5:

I know I know but just something to ponder when we go on our annual 4+game losing streak.

Don't worry. They will win games the first few weeks & last few weeks of the season at least.
Gruden doesn't hold true to his words. Well, that was a lot that was said of him in Tampa. I don't think he can follow Singletary's footsteps in that respect category.

That would really suck if AS ends up killing two coaches' careers. Smith would need psychological help.

f**k Rich Gannon
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
f**k Rich Gannon

I use to feel the same way but when he started ripping Oakland for their horrible ownership he grew on me. They banned him this year from their facilities for ripping them in the media too much.
You know I have to agree, if Singletary doesn't take us to the playoffs next year he needs to go.
Gruden and Smith would be a TERRIBLE combination, IMO.

Gruden is known for having an extremely complicated and detailed playbook. Given Smith's need to master the playbook to be comfortable ("non-functional," and all that jazz), learning Gruden's playbook could take YEARS. Further, Davis' learning disability may also slow his playbook learning curve given the large volume of information at issue.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Gruden and Smith would be a TERRIBLE combination, IMO.

Gruden is known for having an extremely complicated and detailed playbook. Given Smith's need to master the playbook to be comfortable ("non-functional," and all that jazz), learning Gruden's playbook could take YEARS. Further, Davis' learning disability may also slow his playbook learning curve given the large volume of information at issue.

Gruden would make Alex Smith look like Chris Simms...oh wait...is it the coach or is it the player?

I think Sing, a counselor, and Alex's parents need to have a conference to discuss that he may have a football learning disability.

Couldn't help it, just that everything points in one direction.
Share 49ersWebzone