LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Chris Johnson record year

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
You saw what Gore did in '06 when we were a running team. He had just about 1,700 yards with a terrible line.

Terrible line? You mean Heitmann, Allen, and a good Jennings, was terrible?
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
You saw what Gore did in '06 when we were a running team. He had just about 1,700 yards with a terrible line.

Terrible line? You mean Heitmann, Allen, and a good Jennings, was terrible?

Yeah, if anything that year he had a great run blocking oline.

The crazy thing for chris johnson is that if he rushes for 1,700 yards next year, he will be at 5,000 for his career already in only 3 years.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's good but he is little. How long will he hold up over time? I don't question his speed or playmaking ability. I'm just not sure how long he will last. He runs between the tackles sometimes and does take hits. It will add up over time IMO on a small framed guy like CJ.

People said the same thing about Barry Sanders.

He lasted 10 seasons. The average NFL player lasts three seasons, while the average running back lasts just 2.5 seasons.

Those averages are all wrong, we are talking about a superstar player here, those averages include RB's who barely make rosters.

Johnson barring any catastrophic injuries has many years left.

Right, because being a superstar makes him less of an injury risk. I was merely using the NFL average as a bottom in the likely scale of Johnson's tenure in the NFL. If I had to guess, I'd say no more than six years if he continues to to receive 350+ carries over the next few years.
2006 yards is nothing.

Gore had something like 2,876 yards and 30 touchdowns

...in Madden.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:

Oh, and CJ2K should have won MVP.

You have to either be kidding or clueless.

MVP means MOST VALUABLE PLAYER for a reason. The Titans were led to an 8-8 record. The real league MVP led his team to a 14-2 record and went to the Super Bowl. In other words, if CJ was truly the league's most valuable player, he would have led his team to a better record. Obviously Peyton Manning was more valuable, so was Drew Brees and Brett Favre. CJ isn't even top 3 in the MVP category.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by YouGotGored:

Oh, and CJ2K should have won MVP.

You have to either be kidding or clueless.

MVP means MOST VALUABLE PLAYER for a reason. The Titans were led to an 8-8 record. The real league MVP led his team to a 14-2 record and went to the Super Bowl. In other words, if CJ was truly the league's most valuable player, he would have led his team to a better record. Obviously Peyton Manning was more valuable, so was Drew Brees and Brett Favre. CJ isn't even top 3 in the MVP category.

Niether.

I realize that under the current system the MVP goes to the best player on the most successful team (or something close to that). However, my statement above does not necessarily imply that Chris Johnson should be the sole league MVP under the current system. What I am suggesting is the the league MVP should go to the most dominant player in the league that year. If a player comes close to breaking one of the most coveted records in professional sports, he should have won the MVP (or co-MVP). Additionally, Johnson had one of the most statistically impressive seasons in NFL history (regardless of position). His teammate's poor performance, or his position for that matter (everybody knows QBs get more attention) should be irrelevant. Suffice it to say that a co-MVP should have been given to Johnson.

By the way, if I recall correctly, during Barry Sanders' MVP season (when he rushed for over 2000 yards) the Detroit Lions didn't make the playoffs. So even under this system, the MVP has been given to an individual who is just dominant. Even if his team was not.

**I want to add that I am not even a fan of Johnson. I just think he deserved at least a co-MVP. Kind of like how Patrick Willis deserved defensive player of the year his rookie season over Bob Sanders.
Share 49ersWebzone