There are 169 users in the forums

Why Were We Never In The Running For Mike Holmgren?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by baltien:
Maybe because the Yorks realized that when you look at his record as a GM, Holmgren hasn't accomplished jack s**t and it's probably better to not get caught up in someone just because their name is "Mike Holmgren."

...just a thought.

Umm...he picked and developed a seattle team that went to the Super Bowl...our GM and coaches have done what???

That same seattle team, had an easy run through a weak nfc west (weaker than now) 49ers had dumped everyone, the cardinals weren't who we thought they were, and the rams were on the decline.

Its easy to make the playoffs when your division is weak.. Before that he had brett favre, that was enough right there to have multiple winning seasons.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Holmgren? Jesus Christ who cares. Let it go.

Exactly. I say we pick this argument up when he leads Cleveland to a Super Bowl.

Nobody hold you breath.

He'll be shown the door in 2 years that owner ship has no problem firing people!

He never did anything with the hawks got them to a superbowl and then they lost and went back to there loser ways!
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Maybe because the Yorks realized that when you look at his record as a GM, Holmgren hasn't accomplished jack s**t and it's probably better to not get caught up in someone just because their name is "Mike Holmgren."

...just a thought.

Umm...he picked and developed a seattle team that went to the Super Bowl...our GM and coaches have done what???

That same seattle team, had an easy run through a weak nfc west (weaker than now) 49ers had dumped everyone, the cardinals weren't who we thought they were, and the rams were on the decline.

Its easy to make the playoffs when your division is weak.. Before that he had brett favre, that was enough right there to have multiple winning seasons.

THE WERE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE! lol good old d green. I wouldn't mind him as a gm he seems to build super bowl teams! He built the cards and got fired only to watch another man take his team there!
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Because he is a sh*tty football executive.

The end.

Exactly. Seattle fans themselves (who are more knowledgeable on this subject) will attest that Holmgren is a below-average football exec.

-9fA
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Because they are smarter than you are.

Is that why they are losing every year?

i dont see you running an NFL team.

besides, i dont see why everyone wants holmgren so much. The past is the past, move on please.

The Yorks have certainly moved on and feel the past is the past - and isn't our present so AWESOME?? And our future so bright and promising?? Man I LOVE mediocrity!

The end.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

The end.

Exactly. Seattle fans themselves (who are more knowledgeable on this subject) will attest that Holmgren is a below-average football exec.

-9fA

Based on your analogy that makes Scott McCloughan a below average exactive. Wouldn't it?
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Because we decided that a young and completely unqualified relative could be given the job... it's not even the GM position, its the President position that he'd replace.... given that the franchise represents the Bay Area, the Bay Area and NFL fanbase should have a say in the Yorks selling the franchise. We will NEVER win a Super Bowl with this ownership, I'd take Dan Snyder over the York family. Atleast he cares and spends his $...

Tell me he just didn't say that!! DAN SNYDER!!!!! He know not what he say!
Why would Jeb York fire himself? Would you fire yourself from a job?
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

The end.

cuz our owners are morons who think everything's fine.

...just a thought.

I'm amazed at how little some people know about football. First, before people start talking about the players he drafted going to the supper bowl go back and look at the drafts during his GM days. I posted them a week ago and they were anything but great. He hit on about three players and the rest were sh*t. Yes he traded for Hasselbeck, but that was because he coached him more than he scouted him. Next, by the sounds of things he isn't even going to be the GM in Cleveland and will hire someone. That doesn't make any sense to hire someone who has only been a coach and will not be a GM to select the players, but then pay him a lot of money to watch over everyone else do their job. It sounds like the federal government to me. A position like his is only needed if the team didn't have any leadership. This isn't the case in SF.

...just a thought.

Actually, the Shehawks went to the Super Bowl in 2005-06...three years after Holmgren stepped down:

Quote:
"Dec. 31, 2002 - With a four-year record of 31-33 and a defense that ranked last against the run in 2002, Holmgren agrees to remain coach while renouncing his titles as GM and executive vice president. Holmgren also fires his defensive coaching staff. Whitsitt begins the search for a new GM.

“I think the biggest title you can have is Super Bowl champion,” Holmgren explains. “When I thought long and hard about that and what’s important to me, (wife) Kathy, this football team and this organization, the titles take a back seat, they really do.

“It’s about coming together, winning, having fun doing it and getting to the Super Bowl.”

So...no, he didn't build the Super Bowl team...he just coached it. And lost. To the QB with the worst rating for a Super Bowl Champion...ever.

Originally posted by miked1978:
Why would Jeb York fire himself? Would you fire yourself from a job?

Bringing in Holmgren make no sense. Revamp the whole front office? I wonder if half the people in these forums have even watched a football game...

...just a thought.

Holmgren has taken two different teams to the Super Bowl since the 49ers have been to one. I would take that over the 49ers pathetic record during the same time. McCloughan has had 5 years to get this team turned around, and we still haven't had even one winning season during that time (not to mention a playoff appearance). We need a top-notch GM (and owner) who understands what it takes to build a winning team.
Share 49ersWebzone