LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 146 users in the forums

Why Were We Never In The Running For Mike Holmgren?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
Mike Holmgren just signed on as President of The Browns. Can anyone tell me why the 49ers never courted Homgren to be in their front office? Did he have a reason for not wanting to come to the niners? With his 49ers roots, you think we would have considered him, and he would have considered us. I don't see this team being a championship contender again until we get a proven NFL executive who is capable of architecting a team at all levels. The York's made a mistake handing the keys of the franchise to Mike Nolan, who had never even been a head coach in this league. That was like handing your car keys to a ten year old child. Singletary has his hands full learning how to be a head coach, and unfortunately, I don't see Scott McCloughan as anything more than a director of scouting. He's not going to get us to the promised land with his vision. Is there anyone else out there who is worthy of heading up the 49ers football operation?

Because the Yorks are cheap, stupid and hate anything that has to do with Eddie D or Bill Walsh.

A lot of zoners are in denial about this. Why do you think we have Scottie, Mike and Jimmy? Because they work cheap and no other reason. Do you think any franchise that spends money on GMs and coaches, would have them? Hell No!
Originally posted by BobS:
Mike Holmgren just signed on as President of The Browns. Can anyone tell me why the 49ers never courted Homgren to be in their front office? Did he have a reason for not wanting to come to the niners? With his 49ers roots, you think we would have considered him, and he would have considered us. I don't see this team being a championship contender again until we get a proven NFL executive who is capable of architecting a team at all levels. The York's made a mistake handing the keys of the franchise to Mike Nolan, who had never even been a head coach in this league. That was like handing your car keys to a ten year old child. Singletary has his hands full learning how to be a head coach, and unfortunately, I don't see Scott McCloughan as anything more than a director of scouting. He's not going to get us to the promised land with his vision. Is there anyone else out there who is worthy of heading up the 49ers football operation?

Because the Yorks are cheap, stupid and hate anything that has to do with Eddie D or Bill Walsh.

A lot of zoners are in denial about this. Why do you think we have Scottie, Mike and Jimmy? Because they work cheap and no other reason. Do you think any franchise that spends money on GMs and coaches, would have them? Hell No!

the stadium also doesnt bring in enough revenue for them to do this. why do you think the ones that hire and fire guys left and right are also the highest revenue teams? People forget the economics of football and rather blame it on cheapness.

You're right that's why Sing hired Raye. Because of the money. LOL. And an $8 million dollar contract for a coach who's never even been a coordinator is cheap. Riiiiiiiight. I can't believe I've been in denial for so long. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:
Maybe because the Yorks realized that when you look at his record as a GM, Holmgren hasn't accomplished jack s**t and it's probably better to not get caught up in someone just because their name is "Mike Holmgren."

...just a thought.

Umm...he picked and developed a seattle team that went to the Super Bowl...our GM and coaches have done what???

Value, we have value at all key positions,we are the envy of the league.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Holmgren? Jesus Christ who cares. Let it go.

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Maybe because the Yorks realized that when you look at his record as a GM, Holmgren hasn't accomplished jack s**t and it's probably better to not get caught up in someone just because their name is "Mike Holmgren."

...just a thought.

Too be fair it's not easy at all being the GM and head coach at the same time.
Holmgren is a coach. Not a GM.

You wouldn't ask a cook to run a restaurant would you?
  • Veteran

...just a thought.

And exactly what have we done in the last seven years?
Originally posted by King49er:

I remember a "Why Were We Never In The Running For Scott Pioli?" thread not too long ago.

-9fA
Because he is a sh*tty football executive.

The end.
I didn't take the time to read all the replies in here as it is not worth the trouble.

Did you see the job he did in Seattle as GM? He was brutal. Great coach, great Niner pedigree, wish we brought him min when he first went to Seattle, but brutal GM. Cleveland will suck for another 5 years and then fire him.
  • dj43

Exactly. I say we pick this argument up when he leads Cleveland to a Super Bowl.

Nobody hold you breath.
I have no idea what kind of president Holmgren may turn out to be but he worked under a VERY good one in Ron Wolf. He also is a very bright guy who picked up Walsh's system faster than any other. I expect him to tap Philly OC Marty Mornhinweg, a former assistant at Green Bay and SF before the ill-fated move to Detroit. Mornhinweg is a bright guy who runs the best version of the Walsh offense in the league right now.

I don't know why SF didn't make a more solid move but it never seemed like the Yorks were at all interested in anyone else other than Jed running this team. While Jed was still at Notre Dame John York was saying he hoped that his son would someday take over and run the team. SF has their guy, and now Lerner has his guy in Cleveland.
Originally posted by jcs:

...just a thought.

Umm...he picked and developed a seattle team that went to the Super Bowl...our GM and coaches have done what???

Actually, the Shehawks went to the Super Bowl in 2005-06...three years after Holmgren stepped down:

Quote:
"Dec. 31, 2002 - With a four-year record of 31-33 and a defense that ranked last against the run in 2002, Holmgren agrees to remain coach while renouncing his titles as GM and executive vice president. Holmgren also fires his defensive coaching staff. Whitsitt begins the search for a new GM.

“I think the biggest title you can have is Super Bowl champion,” Holmgren explains. “When I thought long and hard about that and what’s important to me, (wife) Kathy, this football team and this organization, the titles take a back seat, they really do.

“It’s about coming together, winning, having fun doing it and getting to the Super Bowl.”

So...no, he didn't build the Super Bowl team...he just coached it. And lost. To the QB with the worst rating for a Super Bowl Champion...ever.
[ Edited by Legbreaker on Dec 21, 2009 at 9:25 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone