LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Lol he's just as fast as VD? VD runs a 4.38. Chancellor runs like a 4.65. VD is a hell of a lot faster. VD was drawing coverage a lot from multiple defenders. Chancellor couldn't blanket him one on one. Come on now.

Combine 40 times aren't a very good indicator of speed. Players rarely run in a straight line during a typical NFL play. This is why some teams have been able to eliminate Vernon from some games because he doesn't move laterally very well at all. He's limited in terms of routes. When that happens, you don't need to play faster, you just need to play smarter....and that's what Kam Chancellor has done.

Of course combine 40 times are exactly indicative of game speed. Still, 3/10ths of a second faster is a HELL of a lot faster. Also, you're seriously trippin if you think Chancellor can hang with Vernon one on one. Like I said, Davis was drawing coverage form multiple defenders and always does in Seattle. He gets a lot of attention from Earl Thomas. Rarely ever does Chancellor see him one on one. If he does, that's a mismatch all day. The Seahawks would be silly to ever put Chancellor on an island with Davis, and that's why it doesn't happen. Davis draws linebackers and safeties who bracket him in coverage.
Originally posted by pd24:
Now I wish Singletary never kicked Vernon of the sidelines. He got all soft on us. That old VD was a beast and mean.

The Old VD would have beat the s**t out of Kam Chancellor and then got ejected from the game.
It's as plain as day -- VD is Chancellor's b***h.
Pre Singletary...

Post Singletary...

hahahaha lolz

Dingleberry strikes again!
Seems like he tries to juke defenders instead of throwing them around like he did in college. Granted, NFL players are not small like in college, but he even tries to dodge corners. I would love to see him lower the boom on someone like Vance did Sherman earlier this year.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Seems like he tries to juke defenders instead of throwing them around like he did in college. Granted, NFL players are not small like in college, but he even tries to dodge corners. I would love to see him lower the boom on someone like Vance did Sherman earlier this year.

I've already accepted the fact that Vernon Davis is going to be the lightning to Vance McDonald's thunder (once McDonald develops). Its strange because Davis is a great blocker, so its not like he's one of those pure finesse, pass catching tight ends, but for whatever reason, that aggressiveness is gone once he goes out for passes. I'd like to see him more physical, at least when matched up against corners and safeties.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Jan 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
With or without the ball in his hands, Vernon Davis is a straight-line runner. If his progress is impeded for whatever reason, he's not quick enough on his feet to change direction. This results in him getting blown up unnecessarily and also reduces his run after the catch ability. His ball handling skills are below average to average, many times I've noticed him sacrificing his speed simply because he's holding the ball awkwardly trying not to be stripped from behind. Because he's such a supreme athlete, he's still a matchup nightmare but teams have been able to eliminate him entirely because of his limitations as a Football Player.

he needs to grow back his dreads and start throwing DBs and LBs around again
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

he needs to grow back his dreads and start throwing DBs and LBs around again

A kicking defensive players butts in practice again

hes still an insanely strong dude, he just doesnt use it, he thinks hes all finesse now
hes still an insanely strong dude, he just doesnt use it, he thinks hes all finesse now

This. But I do think if he had the right coaching, he will improve and won't be so reliant on his speed as he gets older. He certainly as the work ethic and the desire to improve. Now all he needs is the right teacher to show him what to do.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This. But I do think if he had the right coaching, he will improve and won't be so reliant on his speed as he gets older. He certainly as the work ethic and the desire to improve. Now all he needs is the right teacher to show him what to do.

well i think our TE coach is going to the college ranks if im not mistaken so hopefully they get a more aggressive TE coach who will teach him to be mean again
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
Pre Singletary...

Post Singletary...

These Vernon are soft posts are ridiculous.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by pd24:
I think that hit put some fear in VD. On Sound FX or NFL turning point you can hear Crabtree talking to VD saying "I got hit harder than you, you aint going to make another play"

lol are you serious?!

Lol.... I just watched it again. I recorded it last night. Crabtree said it
Asked VD "you aint going to make another play"? When VD came to the sidelines after that hit by Kam.
Share 49ersWebzone