LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 199 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
People are talking about Vernon Davis's ball skills like it's the Vernon from 2006. The dude has gotten so much better. He's a lot more coordinated now and can catch with his hands pretty well. You see him reach out and snag that deep ball against the Bucs? Now he's obviously no Crabtree, Cris Carter, or Megatron when it comes to snatching balls out of the air, but the dude is a lot better than people seem to be giving him credit for.

that's more the exception, not the norm. it's very rare to see him catch without making a basket body catch and/or bunny hop. he kind of reminds me of TO who was never good at fighting for the ball either. the only other critique i have against VD is that he's not very cerebral. I've never seen him run a hot route during a blitz or be able to just sit down in an open zone.
People are talking about Vernon Davis's ball skills like it's the Vernon from 2006. The dude has gotten so much better. He's a lot more coordinated now and can catch with his hands pretty well. You see him reach out and snag that deep ball against the Bucs? Now he's obviously no Crabtree, Cris Carter, or Megatron when it comes to snatching balls out of the air, but the dude is a lot better than people seem to be giving him credit for.

It's true that his game has improved greatly over the years, but it's no secret that there are still things that he hasn't mastered. The guy is an amazing player, no doubt. But if he could go from the level he plays at now and elevate that, he could truly be one of the greatest of all time.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Having VD and Crabs at the same time is great.

yup, with / without Dix and Cox
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by kray28:
Eventhough he caught the TD....I thought he had a relatively poor game today.

He's not the type of receiver that makes it easy on the QB...you basically have to throw him wide open. If you don't...he probably won't catch it. He just doesn't fight for the ball.

Exactly.

I think what hurts Vernon's perception a bit is that he's basically like a TE version of Mike Wallace. If he's not wide open it's a tough proposition for a catch, particularly down the field.

Can't rely on him to make the Boldin/Crabtree type catches, unfortunately. In every other category he is elite.

In a nutshell. If he has to reach, even a little bit . . . forget it. Otherwise . . . you said it, elite.

The Catch III says otherwise
hands catchers snatch it out of the air at or above their heads. you basically never see VD do that, its always basket catches or the arms extended but still with his hands facing down as opposed to up. it is what it is, you cant teach natural hands and he is pretty damn successful with the tools he has got. and more over than that, hes clutch.
Originally posted by kujon11:

that's more the exception, not the norm. it's very rare to see him catch without making a basket body catch and/or bunny hop. he kind of reminds me of TO who was never good at fighting for the ball either. the only other critique i have against VD is that he's not very cerebral. I've never seen him run a hot route during a blitz or be able to just sit down in an open zone.

Ehh he catches a lot more frequently with his hands now than he did a few years ago. I wouldn't say it's the exception. He worked a lot on his hands catching with Randy Moss in 2012. He does still catch with his body, but catches a lot of balls with his hands as well. The dude doesn't drop nearly as many passes as he once did. He now has pretty solid hands.
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:

again, a body catch
T.O. wasn't a great hands catcher, either... FYI.

again, a body catch

Lol I can do that too

Now he doesn't frequently catch with diamond hands, but he does catch a lot of passes with his hands. He's just more comfortable catching with pinkies down. Like I said though, he's gotten a lot better at catching with his hands the last few years.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
He's basically a metrosexual. He's got his own art gallery and he thinks he's an artist so he must be very cultured and refined. He loves cosmopolitan cities, said he'd love to live in London if NFL team was ever put there for example, and lives in San Francisco which is very cosmopolitan so there you go.

this. just because the dude likes art and dressing in loud s**t doesnt mean hes gay. you could say the same thing about will smith back in the day lol. i think vernon is just an artsy dude who has a strange fashion sense. and if hes gay would anyone give him s**t for it? dude would kick the s**t out of someone who called him a f*g lol

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
He's basically a metrosexual. He's got his own art gallery and he thinks he's an artist so he must be very cultured and refined. He loves cosmopolitan cities, said he'd love to live in London if NFL team was ever put there for example, and lives in San Francisco which is very cosmopolitan so there you go.

this. just because the dude likes art and dressing in loud s**t doesnt mean hes gay. you could say the same thing about will smith back in the day lol. i think vernon is just an artsy dude who has a strange fashion sense. and if hes gay would anyone give him s**t for it? dude would kick the s**t out of someone who called him a f*g lol

tyson once said, i'll f**k you till you love me.

again, a body catch

Lol I can do that too

Now he doesn't frequently catch with diamond hands, but he does catch a lot of passes with his hands. He's just more comfortable catching with pinkies down. Like I said though, he's gotten a lot better at catching with his hands the last few years.

as long as he catches them i dont care. hes not known for his drops anymore like he was when he was stonehands davis back in the beginning of his career. hes come a long way as a player, in almost every aspect and hes getting better every year. he'll be a HOFer for sure with a couple more years like this and some more epic playoff dominations (I see you carolina )

again, a body catch

Lol I can do that too

as long as he catches them i dont care. hes not known for his drops anymore like he was when he was stonehands davis back in the beginning of his career. hes come a long way as a player, in almost every aspect and hes getting better every year. he'll be a HOFer for sure with a couple more years like this and some more epic playoff dominations (I see you carolina )

I'd love to see him tear Carolina up. Want to see him be unstoppable like he was in the 2011 playoffs.
Originally posted by crabman82:

tyson once said, i'll f**k you till you love me.
tyson is another dude who could say the gayest s**t in the world and no one would call him a f*g unless they wanted to die lol.

again, a body catch

Lol I can do that too

I'd love to see him tear Carolina up. Want to see him be unstoppable like he was in the 2011 playoffs.

i think he will all this hype about their LBs being so great and the nfl trying to say theyre better than bow and bambam is crazy talk, VD will expose them to prove 52 and 53 are still the top
Share 49ersWebzone