There are 157 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Roman is channeling Martz and has moved VD to RT...er...RRT...can't have enough Ts.
^^the both of you may be on to something^
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Vernon has not performed well when he has been targeted. He has gotten the ball right on his hands a couple of times and dropped it.

The times he has gotten targeted the ball has come in with velocity because he has not been getting separation and the ball had to get their quick in order to fit into the window.
I just watched Vernon Davis highlights from last year.

Wow!... what a dfference a few months make.

From the height of his career, being moved to tears, to... ah... to Houdini, nothing, nada, zilch...

Biggest disappearance act in the NFL.

Really, we can get this guy free once in awhile? Just once per game? Wheel route? Nothing?

Hmmm... suspicious aint it.
Is he still on the roster?
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Is he still on the roster?

LOL!!!!!!
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Who cares enjoy the success ! We have so many weapons its ridiculous. He'll be there when we need him and thats all that matters.

Use it or lose it.
I don't want to see Ginn or Walker, or Moss dropping balls, I want my starters to make plays. We didn't win this game til the 4th qtr, we need to get this right before the playoffs come around. Things aren't going to get easier.
1st off hes our tight end. As a championship team you don't need to lean on your TE. When you have Crabs making the plays he always could and all these weapons rolling on all cylinders,its unnecessary to be looking for your TE to make a play primarily.He will make the big play when we need him. We had this game in the bag. Establishing such a potent run game opens up the passing lanes for everyone and when the receiver who has the best hands keeps getting open your gonna get it to him. Love VD but he will get his time. Alex was primarily looking for VD when he was starting because of their chemistry. Kaep has chemistry with everyone. Enjoy the good play. If its not one thing its another.

Brent Jones, Shannon Sharpe, Mark Chumurra, and Rob Grankowski disagree

Jerry Rice/John Taylor, Rod Smith/McCafferey, Antonio Freeman/Brooks/Rison, Randy Moss/Branch, Welker

Great run game
VD is just not our primary and neither were the TE's u listed

Disagree
Who cares enjoy the success ! We have so many weapons its ridiculous. He'll be there when we need him and thats all that matters.

Use it or lose it.
I don't want to see Ginn or Walker, or Moss dropping balls, I want my starters to make plays. We didn't win this game til the 4th qtr, we need to get this right before the playoffs come around. Things aren't going to get easier.
1st off hes our tight end. As a championship team you don't need to lean on your TE. When you have Crabs making the plays he always could and all these weapons rolling on all cylinders,its unnecessary to be looking for your TE to make a play primarily.He will make the big play when we need him. We had this game in the bag. Establishing such a potent run game opens up the passing lanes for everyone and when the receiver who has the best hands keeps getting open your gonna get it to him. Love VD but he will get his time. Alex was primarily looking for VD when he was starting because of their chemistry. Kaep has chemistry with everyone. Enjoy the good play. If its not one thing its another.

Jerry Rice/John Taylor, Rod Smith/McCafferey, Antonio Freeman/Brooks/Rison, Randy Moss/Branch, Welker

Great run game

Disagree

If you don't think VD or those other TE's mentioned in the previous post are an important part of the offense I don't know what to tell you.......
Great......we're gonna have two of the highest paid RTs in the game in a couple of years.
Originally posted by aTx49er:

Use it or lose it.

Great run game

Disagree

If you don't think VD or those other TE's mentioned in the previous post are an important part of the offense I don't know what to tell you.......

I said they're not important ? Just not a TE that we need to LEAN ON. We have plenty of options as did those teams. VD is playing his role. His time will come.

Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for IdahoNiner.
Originally posted by rdc1:
Vernon has not performed well when he has been targeted. He has gotten the ball right on his hands a couple of times and dropped it.

The times he has gotten targeted the ball has come in with velocity because he has not been getting separation and the ball had to get their quick in order to fit into the window.

Vernon isaint, hasnt, and never will be a natural receiver. BUT he is a mismatch against any Defense. He needs his targets. 1 target a game isaint doing anybody any good. He is the tye of TE that needs to be into the flow of the game. Sure he is a great blocker, and as many have said, thats how he is being used, but regardless of not being a natural receiver, he needs to have his opportunities.

I also disagree with the velocity arguement. He has been plenty open, its just that Kaep hasnt quite learned how to put "touch" on his passes in the short/intermediate game. Dont get me wrong on this, there has been passes where he has, its just not quite consistent.He is very accurate with most of his balls but We have seen other players drop balls due to the zip that Kaep put on the ball. Not just VD, and for a TE that doesnt have soft hands, adjusting to the velocity kaep puts on balls is not the easiest task in the world.

regardless of VD's short commings as a route runner, and catcher, he is still one of the top TE's in the game, he just needs his opportunities.

I hope we bring in a more natural route running/pass catching TE this year in the draft, simply because i ant more two TE sets, but so far we have not seen the ability of this team to utilize the TE position to its fullest. We have not seen what most of us thought e would get out of a harbaugh offense as far as TE is concerned.
They don't throw it to him EVER. If you watch the games you can see this. A lot of times he doesn't even go out in the routes. He's kept in to block an enormous amount of the time for a TE who can run a 4.3. When he does run routes Kaep never looks for him. Smith had real good chemistry with VD. Was his favorite target by far. Keap doesn't even look his way much. Further a failure of Roman. To have VD and not use him is just insane.
I think part of it is you take what the defense gives you. I remember allot of Brent Jones catches years ago because they would try to take away our receivers JR JT etc. if Crabs keeps this production up I hope at some point it will free up VD a little more, but I thong he is getting double covered allot right now.
VD knows where this offense is heading to in the play-offs and next season... More growing pains with CK.
VD knows he will never know if AS and him could have gone all the way this season, catching multiple TDs like he did in the play-offs last season from AS and have a chance to win a SB together, and VD knows it's cause the team didn't want to pay AS.
[ Edited by HOF49er on Dec 11, 2012 at 6:26 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone