LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by kemp_j:
In that case Vernon was right. Alex is the man that can get Vernon the ball. Kaep has the stronger arm and runs fast than Alex, but Alex needs to start........

Or VD is mad AS didn't get the job back... We'll see if VD shows up in the next 2 games with CK as the QB.
Kaep almost never looks for him
Many reasons but some predictable:

1) Manningham dinged up (hopefully healthy next week?)
2) Williams out
3) Hunter out

That's three very quick good players not on the field.

4) OLine still not able to sustain blocks for longer pass plays.
5) VD has never been a good receiver off the LOS. Smith figured out how to use him, but could never count on him quickly.
6) Kaepernick's inexperience, inability to read defenses and adjust.
7) Starting WRs are now Moss and Crabtree, with Manningham and Jenkins as back ups--better depth than last year but going fast!

Good News

1) Gore being Gore!
2) James looks very quick and fast, nice change of pace back.
3) Crabtree looks like the light has finally turned on this year, earlier with AS and now with CK.
4) Winning despite our offensive woes.
I think Vernon has disappeared a lot due to Kaepernick's athletic ability. Sometimes a QB that's capable of making big plays with his legs from time to time decreases the TE's touches.
Smith and Davis had a lot of chemistry that is going to take some time for Kaep to develop. Some of Smith's best balls (post, wheel routes etc.) were to Davis where Smith would routinely place them right on the money.

Just gotta be patient I suppose.
Teams are stacking 8 players in the box, basically daring the qb to throw into single coverage. At this point the center or qb switches the protection and the TE is needed to stay in and block.

That being said, I think VD needs to get involved more, plain and simple.
I don't understand how Jason Witten of the Cowbows who's not nearly as good of an athlete as Davis, somehow is always open???? It baffles me how this team uses Davis or doesn't use him.. It's been this way since we drafted him except for a few stretches of dominace here and there. Davis should be a dominating force on any offense...yet we can't seem to get this guy the ball....
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I don't understand how Jason Witten of the Cowbows who's not nearly as good of an athlete as Davis, somehow is always open???? It baffles me how this team uses Davis or doesn't use him.. It's been this way since we drafted him except for a few stretches of dominace here and there. Davis should be a dominating force on any offense...yet we can't seem to get this guy the ball....

I agree. We can justify his lack of production to "defenses game planning for him", but you don't think defenses game plan for Gronk? I suspect the answer is one part scheme, one part QB recognition, and one part Davis' inability to find the zones quickly enough.
Originally posted by bzborow1:

I agree. We can justify his lack of production to "defenses game planning for him", but you don't think defenses game plan for Gronk? I suspect the answer is one part scheme, one part QB recognition, and one part Davis' inability to find the zones quickly enough.

I was watching the cowboys game yesterday and I seen Witten block down on a guy then slip into the flats for like a 12 yard gain.. Why can't Davis do that??
Originally posted by Disp:
Why do people still use the "he gets doubled" excuse? Every elite receiver in the league gets doubled all the time, and they still get their catches and yards. Brandon Marshall, Megatron, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson and all the others. These guys aren't getting double teamed all the time? I don't know why he's not getting the ball, but I have to assume it's because of the play calling and quarterbacking, and not because he's being blanketed on every play.

I thought Moss is always getting doubled since he gets two balls per game. Roman can't even get plays in on time, shades of Jimmy Ray.

Last year Vernon wasn't doing much until the playoffs, and then BOOM.

He had almost 300 yards in two playoff games. I feel confident we will see more Vernon in critical spots.

I was watching the cowboys game yesterday and I seen Witten block down on a guy then slip into the flats for like a 12 yard gain.. Why can't Davis do that??

Because the coaches don't design the plays like that or coach our players up for situations where the deep shot isn't there. It drives me crazy. Just like how are guys don't know how to become hot reads when the defense blitzes. Run to the vacated area that the blitzer came from and show your numbers to the QB!
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Dec 10, 2012 at 8:03 AM ]
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Because the coaches don't design the plays like that or coach our players up for situations where the deep shot isn't there. It drives me crazy. Just like how are guys don't know how to become hot reads when the defense blitzes. Run to the vacated area that the blitzer came from and show your numbers to the QB!

Which is exactly the reason I've been pushing for a TE who can do just that. Vernon isn't ever going to fill the Witten role, he's more of a vertical threat than anything else, what I'd like to see is a #2 TE that can do exactly what you described, find soft spots in the zone, be a safety outlet during blitzes, a pair of sure hands that the quarterback looks to when in trouble.
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Who cares enjoy the success ! We have so many weapons its ridiculous. He'll be there when we need him and thats all that matters.

Use it or lose it.
I don't want to see Ginn or Walker, or Moss dropping balls, I want my starters to make plays. We didn't win this game til the 4th qtr, we need to get this right before the playoffs come around. Things aren't going to get easier.
1st off hes our tight end. As a championship team you don't need to lean on your TE. When you have Crabs making the plays he always could and all these weapons rolling on all cylinders,its unnecessary to be looking for your TE to make a play primarily.He will make the big play when we need him. We had this game in the bag. Establishing such a potent run game opens up the passing lanes for everyone and when the receiver who has the best hands keeps getting open your gonna get it to him. Love VD but he will get his time. Alex was primarily looking for VD when he was starting because of their chemistry. Kaep has chemistry with everyone. Enjoy the good play. If its not one thing its another.

Brent Jones, Shannon Sharpe, Mark Chumurra, and Rob Grankowski disagree
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:

I'm no football genius but this to me seems like backyard football to me... Hey Qb is in trouble, find the open spot and yea.... Doesn't seem to difficult of an idea to me..
Share 49ersWebzone