LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 184 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
I don't blame these players, they should get paid more for being put to waste behind a horribly flawed offensive philosophy.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Really love your analysis here.

You're not going to get a super high paid/productive TE on a team that loves to run. Consider this - what's the effective difference between a 3rd good WR and a really good TE? Sure VD runs like a WR but produce like one? It's not so sure if that's the case between the 20's or, IMHO, his yards would have had a higher total. Again, it's the position and age; I don't know many really awesome 30 year old and older TE in the league. Sure there's Tony and Jason, but those are clearly the exception to the rule. Sure VD could be that exception, but when it comes to the money down - 3rd down - the man on the team is Crabtree right now, not VD. And sure he can run fast in a straight line, but there's a reason why we brought in Lloyd and Johnson - two WR known for creating separation.

The Barrows article states that this wasn't news to the 49ers who have known about this since February. I think the Baalke moves make even more sense, and why the urgency for securing a primary, veteran receiving option was even more urgent than we all thought.

I get what you are saying and it all makes sense. But, production is more than just yards, I would argue TDs is far more important. OK, the stat might have been jacked up since Crab was down. But, even with Crab, who is going to be that deep threat that we have been talking about for years ? Brandon Lloyd ? Stevie Johnson ? I guess what I am saying is even if we don't want to pay Vernon, we still need that legit big sized deep threat/red zone WR, as of now we have none. I don't know what Lloyd or Johnson will bring, before I can see it, we will still need Vernon's production.
That jamba juice money ain't cuttin it
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

Or maybe he just has a family to feed.

http://instagram.com/p/oKYSkrONHn/ he should sell this painting to help him get by
Originally posted by bzborow1:

Or maybe he just has a family to feed.

Oh yeah I'm sure they're starving with the 38 million he has been paid.
Vernon being greedy af smh.

He's the 3rd highest paid TE in the league and wants a new contract?
Originally posted by xela510:
Vernon being greedy af smh.

He's the 3rd highest paid TE in the league and wants a new contract?

Trade him and Boone, we don't need either one! We have talent and depth, send them both to the Jags, or some other s**tty franchise and lot the greedy b*****ds rot!
Would much rather have Crabtree over VD
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Would much rather have Crabtree over VD

That's tough

just following him on instagram, I can almost guarantee this is more about extending the contract so he can retire a 49er. He's mentioned plenty of times that he wants to be a niner for the rest of his career

i just don't understand why he'd cough up 200k to do it
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
just following him on instagram, I can almost guarantee this is more about extending the contract so he can retire a 49er. He's mentioned plenty of times that he wants to be a niner for the rest of his career

I hope you're right
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
He was probably debating whether he would go either way, despite the 200,000. So he just figured he could get two birds with one stone by Saying he wants to be extended
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

bc you can't put a price on a dream, especially when you're already rich as hell
I don't think I like Vernon anymore. Turning down 200k to prove a point when he's already fairly compensated. You know how many cleft surgeries for 3rd world children 200k can get? A lot I think. How many starving children can 200k feed? Hella childrens. Worse yet, he's the one who signed contract, where's the integrity? Who told him he's as good as Gronk, Witten, or Graham anyways? He's not. I'm really disappointed, where's Coach Singletary to check this guy?
Share 49ersWebzone