There are 149 users in the forums

Vernon Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 43s By the way, the #49ers have known about Vernon Davis' desire for a new contract for a while, at least back in February. Not news to them.

I really hope he just wants a couple more years added. If he's looking at his salary this year instead of the aav from when he was signed to the extension that infuriates me. VD is a good-team guy though and recently put something on Instagram about loving the 49ers and wanting to stay home for the rest of his career. I think we'll figure it all out.
I hope Vernon retires a Niner. He keeps his body in incredible shape. If he wants to he could easily play into his late 30's like Tony Gonazlez.
Both these players will play well this season. VD and Boone. Depending on our finances maybe they are extended next offseason. They are both replaceable if not. Boone moreso than VD. Don't mind them looking for pay but we have to do what we do and we can't pay everyone. Guards are replaceable so long as you have a good C and good LT RT. We now have that. As to VD I love him and the fact he has turned things around but might we be going more to a spread offense or more 3 and 4 WR sets. We have to put our best players on the field and Q Crab and Stevie Johnson as individual players nearly approach VD in on field offensive output. Heck they might surpass him. Boldin did more than VD last year at the same pay VD is saying is not enough. There is no other VD in the NFL but as the league's highest paid TE and one that got a lot of money front loaded should not you be the cure for our red zone woes like a Tony Gonzalez? I love VD speed and field stretching abilities his blocking and his big play ability but he hasn't been the redzone weapon or the third down weapon I might desire from my security blanket TE. If VD improves here I might say bump up his pay. We all are looking for that red zone threat still as of yet. I also think Boldin can line up tight on some occasions while still being a good blocker and allowing us to feature Crab and Stevie and Lloyd or Ellison or Patton. To me this might still stress a defense almost like VD does in a different manner of course. VD is special but he isn't perfect and to pay him what we should be paying Crabtree would be ridiculous. Kap looked for Crab with the game on the line and not VD. That tells me something!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 29, 2014 at 12:13 PM ]
Originally posted by SFrush:
I hope Vernon retires a Niner. He keeps his body in incredible shape. If he wants to he could easily play into his late 30's like Tony Gonazlez.
I think you're right. VD and Boone just want to be here. They're getting bad advice from their agents
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 29, 2014 at 12:11 PM ]
VD is a great player, but I can't believe this BS. Let him play out his contract and let him go or give him an extension. After two more years, he won't likely be as productive as he is now. If he is, they can franchise him in 2016. Time to start grooming his replacement.

The only people that should be upset about contracts are guys like Crabs, Kap, and Iupati. They are wayyyy underpaid for their playtime and how they have produced. So tired of seeing these guys skipping workouts for more moola, especially when it boils down to a couple million a year and they have tens of millions already.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Both these players will play well this season. VD and Boone. Depending on our finances maybe they are extended next offseason. They are both replaceable if not. Boone moreso than VD. Don't mind them looking for pay but we have to do what we do and we can't pay everyone. Guards are replaceable so long as you have a good C and good LT RT. We now have that. As to VD I love him and the fact he has turned things around but might we be going more to a spread offense or more 3 and 4 WR sets. We have to put our best players on the field and Q Crab and Stevie Johnson as individual players nearly approach VD in on field offensive output. Heck they might surpass him. Boldin did more than VD last year at the same pay VD is saying is not enough. There is no other VD in the NFL but as the league's highest paid TE and one that got a lot of money front loaded should not you be the cure for our red zone woes like a Tony Gonzalez? I love VD speed and field stretching abilities his blocking and his big play ability but he hasn't been the redzone weapon or the third down weapon I might desire from my security blanket TE. If VD improves here I might say bump up his pay. We all are looking for that red zone threat still as of yet. I also think Boldin can line up tight on some occasions while still being a good blocker and allowing us to feature Crab and Stevie and Lloyd or Ellison or Patton. To me this might still stress a defense almost like VD does in a different manner of course. VD is special but he isn't perfect and to pay him what we should be payi g Crabtree would be ridiculous. Kap looked for Crab with the game on the line and not VD. That tells me something!

and that's what exactly? It only tells me he saw single coverage and he took a shot.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Not too worried about this at the moment.

Sorry, but I am not going to panic or get mad.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
VD is a great player, but I can't believe this BS. Let him play out his contract and let him go or give him an extension. After two more years, he won't likely be as productive as he is now. If he is, they can franchise him in 2016. Time to start grooming his replacement.

The only people that should be upset about contracts are guys like Crabs, Kap, and Iupati. They are wayyyy underpaid for their playtime and how they have produced. So tired of seeing these guys skipping workouts for more moola, especially when it boils down to a couple million a year and they have tens of millions already.

It business. Mostly agent driven and the players are good. I think VD mostly just wanta more time on his deal along with a little bump in pay. Boone just wants more money period and he is underpaid by industry standards. These agents see the cap rising and they want to chip in but they also have to understand that they don't play QB either
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Afrikan:
dp.

you say that like it's a bad thing
Is the sky falling again?

Hopefully this is not a distraction for too long.

The tricky part of pro sports is when players, like Vernon, preach they are all about the team...but then can "hurt" the team's progress by holding out for money. But then again it's a business so there's a fine line between being about the "team" vs personal financial gain.

I'll try refraining from judging since I can't tell another if he/she does or doesn't deserve money.

Originally posted by SFrush:
and that's what exactly? It only tells me he saw single coverage and he took a shot.

It tells me that Kap trusts Crab more than VD at crunch time and in the red zone where he should look for a 6'3" 250 long armed physical stout big handed fast explosive TE that is in and of himself a complete mismatch for any defender. Why is that? I say it is because VD is not a natural hands catcher and he doesn't always know how to use his body to shield off defenders in tight spaces to make those plays close in like a Tony G would. I have listed several things that VD does that no other can do but this is something Witten Kyle Rudolph and less physically talented guys excel at. Could be Kap too. Alex had rapport with VD but for some reason Kap ain't looking for VD enough in my book and he should and VD should cone through. VD was open vs BAL in that Super Bowl but Kap never looked his way
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

The tricky part of pro sports is when players, like Vernon, preach they are all about the team...but then can "hurt" the team's progress by holding out for money. But then again it's a business so there's a fine line between being about the "team" vs personal financial gain.

I'll try refraining from judging since I can't tell another if he/she does or doesn't deserve money.

Both players will be here when it counts. There won't be a Crabtree holdout. I think both want to be here and they see the cap going up and they don't want to play at what they perceive as a discount.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

Both players will be here when it counts. There won't be a Crabtree holdout. I think both want to be here and they see the cap going up and they don't want to play at what they perceive as a discount.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I just can't imagine our offense without Vernon. Hopefully we extend him long term.
Boone and V.D. are basically telling Gore to get lost.

F.O. will take care of things. Not worried.
Share 49ersWebzone