LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Trade for Kevin Kolb bandwagon

Shop 49ers game tickets
I was watching NFL Network's Total Access this morning and Jason LaCyourmomma, said that he thinks Philly would want a low first for Kolb. If thats the case, I dont see why we wouldn't trade our 1st for two first or mid first and a high second and give one of them for Kolb. Obviously, we would need a team willing to trade. If we could get this done, that would be a no brainer.

P.S. Adam Archuletta (not David) said he thinks the ideal landing spot for Kolb is the Niners. Makes sense to me.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I was watching NFL Network's Total Access this morning and Jason LaCyourmomma, said that he thinks Philly would want a low first for Kolb. If thats the case, I dont see why we wouldn't trade our 1st for two first or mid first and a high second and give one of them for Kolb. Obviously, we would need a team willing to trade. If we could get this done, that would be a no brainer.

P.S. Adam Archuletta (not David) said he thinks the ideal landing spot for Kolb is the Niners. Makes sense to me.

I think they'd take our 2nd. Maybe with our 5th next year or something also.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Does Kolb have any influence at all in this decision making process?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

I would do that deal asap.
My number one choice at QB next year would be Kolb. if that werent to happen, I wouldnt mind Carson either.
Originally posted by susweel:

I would do that deal asap.

its only a fair deal. He was a 2nd round pick and is practically unproven in this league. There is no way they get a 1st for Kolb.
No one has made a convincing case that we should want Kolb over Alex Smith, even if Kolb was a FA where you wouldn't have to give up a valuable draft choice.

In his entire 4 year career, he has played in only 16 games, so he has little game experience. Although playing for one of the very best offensive oraganizations, he has put up less than steller numbers. This year alone, he played in 5 games:
Vs Wash 76.0 rating 1 TD 1 INT
Vs SF 103.3 1 0
Vs Atl 133.6 3 1
Vs Tenn 56.9 1 2
Vs Dal 37.0 1 3

Finished the year at 76.1 rating with 7 TDs and 7 INTs.

His record reminds you of JTO and Troy Smith: They started with a splash, then with a little film on them, they sink into putrid play.

So tell me why you want to give up a 2nd round choice for him?
Originally posted by excelsior:
No one has made a convincing case that we should want Kolb over Alex Smith, even if Kolb was a FA where you wouldn't have to give up a valuable draft choice.

In his entire 4 year career, he has played in only 16 games, so he has little game experience. Although playing for one of the very best offensive oraganizations, he has put up less than steller numbers. This year alone, he played in 5 games:
Vs SF 103.3 1 0
Vs Atl 133.6 3 1
Vs Tenn 56.9 1 2
Vs Dal 37.0 1 3

His record reminds you of JTO and Troy Smith: They started with a splash, then with a little film on them, they sink into putrid play.

Hey Excelsior -

I usually hate your pro Alex Smith posts, but you bring up some really good points. Hats off to you sir.
  • Envy
  • Veteran

Vs SF 103.3 1 0
Vs Atl 133.6 3 1
Vs Tenn 56.9 1 2
Vs Dal 37.0 1 3

Statistically I can't make an argument for Kolb over Smith. His numbers don't look exceptional but then again he was injured and he had to contend with Vick's play. I can make a case for the system he has learned to play over the past few years. The fact he has experience of the WCO only increases his value in my book.

I'm not an Alex fan but I don't wish him any ill. His time here is a failure from both sides and equal responsibility must be taken. In my opinion Smith is not a WCO QB.
Originally posted by Envy:

Vs SF 103.3 1 0
Vs Atl 133.6 3 1
Vs Tenn 56.9 1 2
Vs Dal 37.0 1 3

Statistically I can't make an argument for Kolb over Smith. His numbers don't look exceptional but then again he was injured and he had to contend with Vick's play. I can make a case for the system he has learned to play over the past few years. The fact he has experience of the WCO only increases his value in my book.

I'm not an Alex fan but I don't wish him any ill. His time here is a failure from both sides and equal responsibility must be taken. In my opinion Smith is not a WCO QB.

Originally posted by niner4life21:

Vs SF 103.3 1 0
Vs Atl 133.6 3 1
Vs Tenn 56.9 1 2
Vs Dal 37.0 1 3

i could be totally off base with this but wasnt he drafte to be a WCO qb?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Vs SF 103.3 1 0
Vs Atl 133.6 3 1
Vs Tenn 56.9 1 2
Vs Dal 37.0 1 3

Yeah, by Nolan and McCloughan.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Vs SF 103.3 1 0
Vs Atl 133.6 3 1
Vs Tenn 56.9 1 2
Vs Dal 37.0 1 3

Yeah, by Nolan and McCloughan.

The merit for obtaining Kolb isn't statistics, it's potential.

See Matt Schaub.

Vs SF 103.3 1 0
Vs Atl 133.6 3 1
Vs Tenn 56.9 1 2
Vs Dal 37.0 1 3

Let me give you some perspective of what the Eagles did Week 17 vs. Dallas. They had clinched the 3 seed. They had nothing to gain or lose. The played only 2 offensive starters. Kolb's leading WR's were Chad Hall and Clay Harbor (who?). Behind a line of backups Kolb was sacked 6 times. If you take away the Dallas game his numbers are as follows:

97-153, 1035 yds, 6 TD, 4 INT

QB Rating 85.2

A better rating than Alex Smith has EVER had.
A completion percentage of 63.3% which is better than Alex.

Also Kolb is well versed in WCO, fitting Harbaugh's system perfectly. Kolb learned it from Reid, who has done a marvelous job with QBs throughout his career. Reid put all his faith in Kolb when the team dealt McNabb and entered '10 with Kolb as starter. Who knows what would have happened had Kolb not gotten injured. Alex is a spread QB who operates most comfortably from the gun.

Plus there is the matter of the eyeball test. Kolb looks like a pro QB to me. Alex looks like a bust pretending to be one.

Vs SF 103.3 1 0
Vs Atl 133.6 3 1
Vs Tenn 56.9 1 2
Vs Dal 37.0 1 3

Let me give you some perspective of what the Eagles did Week 17 vs. Dallas. They had clinched the 3 seed. They had nothing to gain or lose. The played only 2 offensive starters. Kolb's leading WR's were Chad Hall and Clay Harbor (who?). Behind a line of backups Kolb was sacked 6 times. If you take away the Dallas game his numbers are as follows:

97-153, 1035 yds, 6 TD, 4 INT

QB Rating 85.2

A better rating than Alex Smith has EVER had.
A completion percentage of 63.3% which is better than Alex.

Also Kolb is well versed in WCO, fitting Harbaugh's system perfectly. Kolb learned it from Reid, who has done a marvelous job with QBs throughout his career. Reid put all his faith in Kolb when the team dealt McNabb and entered '10 with Kolb as starter. Who knows what would have happened had Kolb not gotten injured. Alex is a spread QB who operates most comfortably from the gun.

Plus there is the matter of the eyeball test. Kolb looks like a pro QB to me. Alex looks like a bust pretending to be one.

Share 49ersWebzone