Consider trading for a #1 WR?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Trajik1:
Steve Smith

Which Steve Smith? Carolina?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Snider8706:
If boldin doesn't get an extension is he going to be a free agent next year?

Nope signed thru 2010. So he won't hit the market until 2011.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cNiner:
If I am #1 WR I would not want to come to a first Run orinted team, but hay that is just me ! that's why Craps**t don't want to sign unless we overpay him ! cuz he knows 2nd contract won't be as high cuz of the #'s ! Look at our WR & TE , our leading WR is a TE. We are going from the inside out ! RB then TE and last is WR !

The offensive philosophy could change upon having a legit #1 WR. It could help open up the passing game and impact the playcalling. Likely why we want to run so much right now because we lack the pieces to be more of a threat through the air.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Who are all these Superstar WR's that are just readily available as free agents? Arizona isn't trading Boldin to us, and Edwards isn't that great.

Edwards >>>> every WR on our roster.

Edwards doesn't catch
Originally posted by jreff22:
Who are all these Superstar WR's that are just readily available as free agents? Arizona isn't trading Boldin to us, and Edwards isn't that great.

Edwards doesn't catch

I bet he would on the right team. I'd still take my chances with him. I'd also take Brandon Marshall if we could lock him up with a new deal.
Originally posted by ninerfreak:
Originally posted by JMPNINER:
Steve smith??? But not for their 1st rounder. That pick is really starting too look like a top 5 pick. Just think if we get the jets 1st rounder too?

i doubt that we get the jets 1st rounder even if they're found guilty

I was thinking the same thing earlier. However, if they are found guilty and we are unable to come to agreement with Crabtree then I think we should get the Jets 1st round pick next season. I think it would only be fair since they would have ruined our 1st round pick from last year.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Let's trade for a #1 RT or a #1 OG!

we def need a new RT before we need a WR....we haven't even seen B.Jones in action yet and Morgan has not had enough chances to say he's not going to develope into a #1 WR. Crabtree is a true potential #1 WR and we still have 7 weeks to sign him let's see how his situation plays out and what type of draft scenerios we have before we panic and trade for a WR that doesn't know our offense.
if we can't get Crabtree signed then Dwayne Bowe would be a great option.
NO, we don't need a #1 receiver.... for that matter when the Hell did #1 receiver become a freaking position? What the hell makea a guy a #1 is he an X a Y or a Z...

Any way we have an offensive CO that does not seem to throw the ball much and a career back-up at QB with a crazy 3/4 side arm slow pitch arm!

Let's see what this Jones kid can do, let Morgan develop, play Hill more and let Bruce age with grace, and less playing time!

This is a good team with a great opportunity to have a good season and possible make it to the play offs, with out making any changes!

When this Miss Crabtree decides were she will play we can look at our need at wide out. If she decides to play for the Jets and the NFL rewards us with a few picks from the Jets we can address some glaring holes at O-line and QB as well as Safety and OLB (pass rush) If the young lady ends up signing with us hopefully she will grow into a "#1"
Originally posted by 505_Niner:
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
Originally posted by billybonka:

yeah no

most overrated WR in the league

drops balls like its cool

yes he has had plenty of drops.... but the guy is a monster... great deep threat that will make the safeties play back or double him... he is just on a horrible team... players play better when they are on a better team..

if the niners have a chance to get him for cheap they should not be stupid and go for it.. Ive watched the guy when he was playing at U of M... Hes still got TONS OF UPSIDE...

He just needs a good system or even a good QB for that matter
Quote:

Edward had that one really good season, the only one where he had 1000+ yards. In his other three seasons he has averaged 756 yards with 49 catches. Bruce's one year with us he had 835 yards with 61 catches. So Bruce >>>>>> Edwards

Bruce beats Edwards for one season and automatically u think hes better?? I love bruce, but at his age hes about done after this year...

You have to understand what edwards brings to the table in terms of our offense...
They will always plug up the box with 8 men if we have no deep threat because of gore..

Edwards will single handedly pull one of them back alone... And also take into effect that edwards is on a HORRIBLE TEAM.... recievers, QB's, and RB's are the first ones to suffer when this is the case...

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
NO, we don't need a #1 receiver.... for that matter when the Hell did #1 receiver become a freaking position? What the hell makea a guy a #1 is he an X a Y or a Z...

Any way we have an offensive CO that does not seem to throw the ball much and a career back-up at QB with a crazy 3/4 side arm slow pitch arm!

Let's see what this Jones kid can do, let Morgan develop, play Hill more and let Bruce age with grace, and less playing time!

This is a good team with a great opportunity to have a good season and possible make it to the play offs, with out making any changes!

When this Miss Crabtree decides were she will play we can look at our need at wide out. If she decides to play for the Jets and the NFL rewards us with a few picks from the Jets we can address some glaring holes at O-line and QB as well as Safety and OLB (pass rush) If the young lady ends up signing with us hopefully she will grow into a "#1"

AMEN!
Why would we trade for another WR when we don't use the ones we have now? Granted, none of them are a true "#1 WR", but that isn't the problem IMO. The problem is the playcalling/scheme Raye and Sing use.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

I agree. How could anyone honestly say they KNOW what we have at receiver with the exception of Battle and Bruce? With the rest of our receivers, it's up in the air. Morgan and Hill have shown some flashes but we honestly don't know what they are going to be because they have never been put in a situation where they can truly showcase their abilities. We may have two 70-90 catch per year guys in this duo, 40-50, or maybe what we saw in 2008 is all we are getting. We honestly won't know for certain until we give them the opportunity to actually make some plays.

If we are going to trade for a player, trade for a RT, a dominating guard, a sack generating OLB, or if we are ultra lucky, a franchise QB if a Cutler situation were to happen again (doubt it). These are definite positions of need where we know we don't have the right players are those spots (especially on the offensive side of the ball). Any of those positions before we trade for a WR.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Edwards doesn't catch

I bet he would on the right team. I'd still take my chances with him. I'd also take Brandon Marshall if we could lock him up with a new deal.

Edwards couldn't catch with Anderson or Quinn, bringing him to a new city wont change his hands.
  • 505_Niner
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 505_Niner:
Originally posted by billybonka:

yeah no

most overrated WR in the league

drops balls like its cool

yes he has had plenty of drops.... but the guy is a monster... great deep threat that will make the safeties play back or double him... he is just on a horrible team... players play better when they are on a better team..

if the niners have a chance to get him for cheap they should not be stupid and go for it.. Ive watched the guy when he was playing at U of M... Hes still got TONS OF UPSIDE...

He just needs a good system or even a good QB for that matter
Quote:

Edward had that one really good season, the only one where he had 1000+ yards. In his other three seasons he has averaged 756 yards with 49 catches. Bruce's one year with us he had 835 yards with 61 catches. So Bruce >>>>>> Edwards

Bruce beats Edwards for one season and automatically u think hes better?? I love bruce, but at his age hes about done after this year...

You have to understand what edwards brings to the table in terms of our offense...
They will always plug up the box with 8 men if we have no deep threat because of gore..

Edwards will single handedly pull one of them back alone... And also take into effect that edwards is on a HORRIBLE TEAM.... recievers, QB's, and RB's are the first ones to suffer when this is the case...

I think he's better because he's done this plenty of times over his career, showing us that even at his advanced age he still knows how to play the game.
Share 49ersWebzone